PDA

View Full Version : Running on Multiple Batteries? Good or Bad

bsimpson
08-29-2005, 01:02 PM
I had a quick question for those of you that run on multiple batteries. I heard someone mention on this site that running with "both" batteries on the perko switch can damage the alternator. But I was also told by the dealer to run on "both" and switch to battery "two" when the engine is off and running the stereo for long periods.

I have three gel batteries, two of them are hooked up as "battery two" and one is hooked up as "battery one". Any thoughts on the best way to run the batteries?

ryanbush
08-29-2005, 01:52 PM
I had a quick question for those of you that run on multiple batteries. I heard someone mention on this site that running with "both" batteries on the perko switch can damage the alternator. But I was also told by the dealer to run on "both" and switch to battery "two" when the engine is off and running the stereo for long periods.

I have three gel batteries, two of them are hooked up as "battery two" and one is hooked up as "battery one". Any thoughts on the best way to run the batteries?

Which gel batteries are you using?

bsimpson
08-29-2005, 02:09 PM
Blue top Optima's. They came stock with the X-Star and I added the third. It was the first time the dealer saw an X-Star come stock with gel batteries.

Diesel
08-29-2005, 02:14 PM
Check out the dual battery thread for a better option than the Perko.

The alternator only sees one battery (regardless of how many you actually have) when in the Both position, hence no damage. The alternator will be damaged if the switch is ever turned to Off when the boat is running.

gregg
08-29-2005, 03:42 PM
One thing to remember, how ever you wire your batteries, (I just parallel mine together) is the longer a battery sets in a state of discharge the more damage is being done. Not sure if this is as much of a problem with gel batteries, but for sure is with a lead\acid battery. A marine battery should be recharged slowly and it takes almost and long to recharge it as it did to discharge it. My batteries are normally 50 to 60 percent discharged after a day on the lake by hydrometer testing. To help this I installed a hard wired marine charger, and when I get in from the lake I just plug it in. 5 amps x 2 banks or 5 amps per battery. Batteries are fully charged the next morning and ready for another work out. BTW I use lead\acid batteries which is why I choose to discharge the batteries together, instead of completely discharging 1 battery 100 percent I can discharge both at somewhere around 50% and is not as hard on the batteries.