PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Fluid in Hull

Romaswake
07-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Hey all!

I have a 2002 Mastercraft Maristar 210 and have been noticing a build up of transmission fluid in the hull... I took it in for service at my local marina, and they flushed the transmission and changed the fluid 3 times then said they ran it fine for a good 45 minutes with out any leaks or such... When i got the boat home from service yesterday i scrubed the hull out so it was bone dry... This morning i went out waterskiing and then filled up the ballast and went boarding and when i got back i checked the hull and there was a good amount of fluid in it already! (Only 2 hours of operation from return from service.) After poking around the engine compartment for a little i found small chucks of rubber or gasket like material by the rudder. My theory is that the gasket of the propeller shaft from the transmission is bad, but i have no technical experience with engines at all. Hopefully some input from you guys can help me figure out what is actually going on and some honest answers instead of the misleading answers you always get from marinas to make a few more bucks! Thanks in advanced guys!

Spence

Attached are some pictures of the rubber i found, fluid by the rudder and fluid in the center hole in front on the gas tank, and lastly one of the propeller shaft.

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad335/snowno24/photo2.jpg
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad335/snowno24/photo1.jpg
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad335/snowno24/photo-1.jpg
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad335/snowno24/photo3.jpg

CantRepeat
07-29-2012, 12:22 PM
I would think it's possible that you didn't get all the transmission fluid out of the boat when you cleaned it. Then you has the some water coming in through the shaft and it just mixed back up.

I would: Clean it again, make note of the trans fluid level and keep a close eye on it. If the level goes down again then you still have a leak some where. Wipe clean the connections for the trans cooler lines and check to see if they are wet with fluid after a ride.

Two hours and that much water might indicate you need to check/tighten your log pack, or change out the rope inside it.

I'm not sure what that material you found is, but I don't think its log packing.

Romaswake
07-29-2012, 12:35 PM
Thank you for the speedy response!

I am not sure if it is log packing or not because I am not quite sure of the material...

Before leaving to ride the fluid was a hair above the second notch on the dipstick... Now it is at the first notch.

I cleaned the hull/bilge/ski locker, the whole nine yards very well so i do not think that it is just left over fluid.

What kind of repair is it to repack/change the log packing or whatever you must do? Expensive, Time consuming or quick and cheap?

CantRepeat
07-29-2012, 01:18 PM
There is a link in the FAQ on how to repack a stuffing box.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=5427

And here is the thread about it.

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=159060&postcount=31

Well, you clearly have a leak still. It could be from the transmission fluid lines to the cooler or the input or output shaft seals. If it's the output shaft then you could probably change that one without removing the transmission. If it's the input you would have to remove the trans or at least pull it back away from the motor to do it.

It could also be the trans cooler its self but they normally they leak water into the trans when they are bad.

What work did the boat shop do for you?

Romaswake
07-29-2012, 01:27 PM
There is a link in the FAQ on how to repack a stuffing box.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=5427

And here is the thread about it.

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=159060&postcount=31

Well, you clearly have a leak still. It could be from the transmission fluid lines to the cooler or the input or output shaft seals. If it's the output shaft then you could probably change that one without removing the transmission. If it's the input you would have to remove the trans or at least pull it back away from the motor to do it.

It could also be the trans cooler its self but they normally they leak water into the trans when they are bad.

What work did the boat shop do for you?

My local mechanic flushed the system then changed the ATF 3 times... When we brought it in it was a milky white pink, which apperently means that there was some water in the system.

I'm very egar to fix this so i can get out a contiune my daily riding but am to afraid of riding with this issue.

CantRepeat
07-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Ok, it looks like I skipped over the part of pink trans fluid in the transmission. One of the most common reasons is a hole in the trans cooler and its the first thing I would check. A few of the users here have taken them to radiator shops and had them pressure tested.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Romaswake
07-29-2012, 04:48 PM
Where is the transmission cooler located?
Below is a picture of the propeller shaft going into the transmission, it appears that there are no packing rings, or as far as i can see... Could this tie into those pieces of rubber like material i found? (Picutred above) Also attached is a picture of the whole engine and transmission so it is easier for you all the point me in the right direction.

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad335/snowno24/photo2-1.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad335/snowno24/photo1-1.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad335/snowno24/photo-2.jpg

Jerseydave
07-29-2012, 08:35 PM
In your last pic follow those black rubber hoses from the trans (they say dayco on them) to the trans cooler. There will be a large water hose at each end of the cooler. Remove those large hoses and stick your finger inside the large openings of the trans cooler. There should be no red fluid on your finger, just water. If you have red trans fluid in there the cooler needs to be replaced.

Personally, I'd go ahead and replace it anyway (10 years old right?) Then clean up everything, change trans fluid again, run it and recheck your bilge.

Those rubber pieces in your pic look like melted hose or belt. Maybe from previous owner working on it?

CantRepeat
07-29-2012, 09:07 PM
In your last pic follow those black rubber hoses from the trans (they say dayco on them) to the trans cooler. There will be a large water hose at each end of the cooler. Remove those large hoses and stick your finger inside the large openings of the trans cooler. There should be no red fluid on your finger, just water. If you have red trans fluid in there the cooler needs to be replaced.

Personally, I'd go ahead and replace it anyway (10 years old right?) Then clean up everything, change trans fluid again, run it and recheck your bilge.

Those rubber pieces in your pic look like melted hose or belt. Maybe from previous owner working on it?

This may not be the case. The water pressure will probably over pressure the trans fluid and the cooler will be clean.

Romaswake
07-29-2012, 11:35 PM
Okay! I'll try that in the morning! How do I identify which cooler i need? I assume there is a part number on it but where would it normally be located?

CantRepeat
07-30-2012, 05:38 AM
skidim.com can help you with the part.

Romaswake
08-01-2012, 09:04 AM
Hello again!

After taking my boat to my local mechanic again to see if he thought if it was the log packing or cooling system also, they jumped right to the conclusion that i need a whole new transmission...?
There has to be some very visible evidence that i need a whole new transmission, which i don't see at all. What would be a sign that would warrant a new transmission? I'm and just dumbfounded, first they say nothing is wrong, and now there saying everythings wrong and trying to take me the most expensive route!?

Thanks

JimN
08-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Hey all!

I have a 2002 Mastercraft Maristar 210 and have been noticing a build up of transmission fluid in the hull... I took it in for service at my local marina, and they flushed the transmission and changed the fluid 3 times then said they ran it fine for a good 45 minutes with out any leaks or such... When i got the boat home from service yesterday i scrubed the hull out so it was bone dry... This morning i went out waterskiing and then filled up the ballast and went boarding and when i got back i checked the hull and there was a good amount of fluid in it already! (Only 2 hours of operation from return from service.) After poking around the engine compartment for a little i found small chucks of rubber or gasket like material by the rudder. My theory is that the gasket of the propeller shaft from the transmission is bad, but i have no technical experience with engines at all. Hopefully some input from you guys can help me figure out what is actually going on and some honest answers instead of the misleading answers you always get from marinas to make a few more bucks! Thanks in advanced guys!

Spence

Attached are some pictures of the rubber i found, fluid by the rudder and fluid in the center hole in front on the gas tank, and lastly one of the propeller shaft.

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad335/snowno24/photo3.jpg

Is that black stuff silicone?

You need to make sure you don't have any leaks first, then tape some paper down on the hull to look for where the leak(s) are occurring. If the water level is rising enough to reach the propshaft or coupling after the oil drips, it will be whipped by the shaft, causing it to be milky. If it was just oil coming into contact with bilge water, it would just float on top as a film.

If you need to check the oil cooler for leaks, you'll need compressed air, whether it's from your own compressor or even at a gas station- you'll need to plug one of the holes used to connect to the transmission and use an adapter in the other, with a Shrader valve. Once the valve is in place, pressurize the oil cooler and put it in a bucket of water. If you see bubbles, it's leaking. If you pressurize it, see no bubbles and the pressure is the same before and after you put it in the water, the cooler is fine. If it does leak, you can take it to a radiator repair shop to have it sealed.

Make sure the hoses to the transmission are tight.

Romaswake
08-01-2012, 11:44 AM
I'm not quite sure of the material, it's a rubber type material but I think it might be the log packing...? As you said about the film on top of the bilge water, I do not think that is the case. Pictured earlier in the thread is a picture of water in the bilge with the oil film on top, but the. Another picture shows the propeller shaft going through the hull and you can see just pink fluid in the hull around the shaft. I'm so perplexed by what is going on. I currently do not have my boat because it is at the marina.

Life is a garden... Dig it!

JimN
08-01-2012, 11:52 AM
I'm not quite sure of the material, it's a rubber type material but I think it might be the log packing...? As you said about the film on top of the bilge water, I do not think that is the case. Pictured earlier in the thread is a picture of water in the bilge with the oil film on top, but the. Another picture shows the propeller shaft going through the hull and you can see just pink fluid in the hull around the shaft. I'm so perplexed by what is going on. I currently do not have my boat because it is at the marina.

The packing should be wax-impregnated hemp cord and it wouldn't come out looking like that. If the packing is Gore-Tex, which I have heard has been used, I would recommend removing the nut and inspecting it ASAP.

mcskier
08-01-2012, 12:11 PM
You mentioned the fluid level appeared lower on the dipstick. I would be careful that you are reading it at the same temp every time. If you check when you just came off the water it will read lower than if the boat had been sitting overnight since the fluid has had longer to drain to the bottom of the transmission. I'd be sure to read the level when warm and add fluid based on this reading.

I also agree with the previous poster: that is not shaft packing.

deminimis
08-01-2012, 01:53 PM
I think this fellar had the same issue you are experiencing: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=826057&postcount=7

JimN
08-01-2012, 02:02 PM
You mentioned the fluid level appeared lower on the dipstick. I would be careful that you are reading it at the same temp every time. If you check when you just came off the water it will read lower than if the boat had been sitting overnight since the fluid has had longer to drain to the bottom of the transmission. I'd be sure to read the level when warm and add fluid based on this reading.

I also agree with the previous poster: that is not shaft packing.

There's thermal expansion, too. That's why a transmission dipstick usually has a line for 'Hot' and one for 'Cold'.

93Prostar190
08-01-2012, 02:48 PM
There's thermal expansion, too. That's why a transmission dipstick usually has a line for 'Hot' and one for 'Cold'.

Jim ... not to hi-jack ... but I know that overfilling can result in fluid leaking in the bilge through some vents ... I suspect I have done that in the past .... any guidance on where those vents are? I have not really looked for them.

Rukowh
08-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Is the fluid in the transmission milky after running the boat, or just milky in the bilge?

JimN
08-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Jim ... not to hi-jack ... but I know that overfilling can result in fluid leaking in the bilge through some vents ... I suspect I have done that in the past .... any guidance on where those vents are? I have not really looked for them.

It's a little metal cap- should be fairly close to the dipstick.

Romaswake
08-01-2012, 03:18 PM
After running the boat (only ran it for about 2 hours, wakeboarding and slalom skiing) the fluid was still a good pinkish color but really low! But that was after my mechanic flushed the system and changed the ATF 3 times, before he did all that it was a milky white, but there also was a good bit of water in the bilge I suspect could have gotten in one of the seals... After he did the flush and all, I scrubbed out the bilge, and dried it out so it was spotless... But then After the 2 hours of runnin it^ pink fluid was puddling up in the hull (pictured above earlier in the post)

Rukowh
08-02-2012, 02:37 PM
My guess would be that that the cooler is the culprit. I would guess in a short period like that the tranny pressure is probably greater than the water pressure for most of the trip so that's why it hasn't milked up bad yet. Again notice that I use the term guess. I doubt you need a new trany. Just check out the cooler and maybe a seal or so.

Romaswake
08-21-2012, 12:58 AM
Hey guys! Sorry about such a long delay but i finally got my boat back the other day after having the log packing redone, shaft seal replaced and cooler pressure tested... Cooler was not the issue and neither was the packing or shaft seal.. After 2 nights of using the so called fixed boat... i opened up my hatch to discover a hull FULL of tranny fluid... Finally have broken down and am done with the thing... I'm assuming it is the main seal because it is very unlikely to have a crack in the housing, so i am having that replaced and then tradeing her in for a new X-2 or X-15. Thanks for all the help guys!

Lastly, what would you all choose, x-2 or x-15, being that the boat is used for 60% "hardcore" wakeboarding 40% open water salmon. Off course we would throw the piggy back system in to have two 750lbs bags in the stern and a open bow 1000lbs sac in the bow!

76S&S
08-21-2012, 10:00 AM
By "main seal" I assume that you mean the trans seal. That is what it sounds like to me (I've already been down this road).

I can't advise on the x2 vs x15, good luck with the trade.