PDA

View Full Version : Boat Disaster

bsimpson
08-29-2005, 12:42 PM
I heard a crazy story from my friend two weekends ago that was somewhat concerning. He bought a Malibu Wakesetter 23XTI two years ago. He was preparing to ski when his son was driving the boat down to one end of the lake. When they stopped the boat the front end completely submerged and the water came rushing in filling the entire interior. He described it by saying that the water was going over the bimini top!! :eek: Everyone was thrown up to the front of the boat but luckly nobody was seriously injured. They were bailing the water out using thier helmets before they could activate the bilge pump and nurse the boat back to their dock. Their stereo is shot now and they have huge concerns about the boat's safety.

They thought it was caused because their center ballast tank was half full and when they stopped the water rushed forward unbalancing the boat. It sounded more like it probably got thrown in reverse while still moving forward at a decent speed. Any other thoughts that would have caused this?

They warned me that my X-Star should be of concern due to the very low front end. I've never had a problem and am just glad I bought a MasterCraft.

gr8smiles
08-29-2005, 12:54 PM
You answered your post in one word....Malibu

Seriously, I am on my 4th Mastercraft since 1980....when I bought my new 05 X-Star....I did test ride a Nautique...but I would never even consider another boat....

You get what you pay for..... :D

erkoehler
08-29-2005, 12:56 PM
Taking water over the bow can be common in ALL ski boats. It is essentially driver error. What happens is when you slow down and the boat comes off plane the bow dips to its lowest point as the boat comes to a rest. At this point, if there are waves that are coming toward the bow, it is VERY possible that water will come in over the bow. The bow will almost always pop back up, and I have never heard of a boat taking water up to the bimini unless you repeatedly were taking water over the bow and were clueless as to how to make it stop.

Gofast
08-29-2005, 12:59 PM
Sorry, but it is really hard to even guess how this could happen. There is not enough water in a half full bag to through the center of balance of on a 23' boat like that.

Yes, I can put 2' of water over the front end of my boat if I want too. But I need a little help from existing rollers to do it. Example, cutting power then turning around into my own wake.

Even throwing it into reverse would be hard to explain that much water....

Bottom line, don't worry about it and be careful about what is going on around your boat. ( Other Rollers etc. )

Thanks Rob

east tx skier
08-29-2005, 01:22 PM

Seriously, I am on my 4th Mastercraft since 1980....when I bought my new 05 X-Star....I did test ride a Nautique...but I would never even consider another boat....

Any ski boat can take water over the bow, ballast-laden or not. A little power through the wakes is enough to prevent it most of the time. Sounds like something different in this scenario. I, for one, would be interested to know what the cause was in your friend's case so I can avoid something like this if it turns out to be more of a universal symptom as opposed to a brand-specific design issue.

MarkP
08-29-2005, 01:28 PM
I would guess it was just a combination of the front ballast and a quick stop into rollers. IMO, not likely a brand specific issue but more a situation for any ski boat driver to look out for. Doug unless you are just running with your front ballast loaded up, I think you will be just fine;)

Ric
08-29-2005, 01:30 PM
I would guess it was just a combination of the front ballast and a quick stop into rollers. IMO, not likely a brand specific issue but more a situation for any ski boat driver to look out for. Doug unless you are just running with your front ballast loaded up, I think you will be just fine;)

Doug, the best thing to prevent this issue with any boat brand is to be sure and tow a tube.

east tx skier
08-29-2005, 01:33 PM

I was just recalling my dating history to see if any of it could've qualified as front ballast. :D

RickDV
08-29-2005, 01:37 PM
I could imagine a number of scenarios where this could happen to any ski boat. He could have had lots of ballast (water and people) in the bow. He could have stopped too quickly, which might shift ballast (water and people) forward. He could have been coming into some rollers at the time....

From what we have been told, I agree with the assessment that this was most likely driver error. I feel bad for the son. This will be a bad memory for long time. Hope his dad goes easy on him and chalks this up as a learning experience. I hope his dad puts him behind the wheel for a tow again real soon.

AirJunky
08-29-2005, 01:42 PM

How holier than thou is this? It never happens to Mastercraft my a$$. Done it in my 205 & in my brother's 190 & in my buddies 190. Granted we've never sunk the boat, but we've fried the stereos! The covered bows seem to make it worse as the water comes over the bow & then up & over the windshield dumping it right on the dash.
That said, we got caught in a wind storm on the Columbia this weekend. We had to make it back about a mile to our little protected cove in 4' or 5' swells! I had 800 lbs of ballast & 6 people in the boat, easily at it's weight cap or slightly over. And I didn't sub the bow even one time! It's DEFINITELY due to driver error.

bsimpson
08-29-2005, 01:45 PM
I've taken a couple rollers into my X-Star when my friends drive. I always warn them about turning around in it's own wake but they don't seem to get it until it happens while they drive.

What is strange is that I was told they were not heading into any rollers and they were the only boat at the end of the channel. I agree that it sounds like driver error. What sounds disturbing is that for the front end to dip this much the rear most likely popped up. This was not just a splash over the bow. Once enough water was coming in, the front end sank until the entire cockpit was filled! He described it as, "the equipment in the cockpit was floating and ended up outside the boat by the time the boat balanced".

BRAZOS 205
08-29-2005, 01:53 PM
I have taken water over the front when underestimating the weight in the bow of the boat. If you don't give it some gas, one roller over the front (a big roller) is like a domino effect if not ready for it. The water comes over the front of the boat and then the weight of the water keeps the bow of the boat down and then the next roller comes and more water comes over the front and then more weight in the front, and so on and so on until you give it some gas. I took on two rollers, no damaged caused thou. Live and learn. I did.

Farmer Ted
08-29-2005, 02:07 PM
Just goose the throttle a split second prior to hitting your own wake to get the boat over it.

JDK
08-29-2005, 02:13 PM
They thought it was caused because their center ballast tank was half full and when they stopped the water rushed forward unbalancing the boat.

Even though a roller will come over the bow of lots of boats, as mentioned above, I'd definitely be looking at this as a contributing factor.
eg.: 100 gallons of water in a 200 gallon watertank can push an unsuspecting pick-up driver into very awkward situations (don't ask).

Ric
08-29-2005, 03:15 PM
. .

mcprostar197
08-29-2005, 03:21 PM
I heard a crazy story from my friend two weekends ago that was somewhat concerning. He bought a Malibu Wakesetter 23XTI two years ago. He was preparing to ski when his son was driving the boat down to one end of the lake. When they stopped the boat the front end completely submerged and the water came rushing in filling the entire interior. He described it by saying that the water was going over the bimini top!! :eek: Everyone was thrown up to the front of the boat but luckly nobody was seriously injured. They were bailing the water out using thier helmets before they could activate the bilge pump and nurse the boat back to their dock. Their stereo is shot now and they have huge concerns about the boat's safety.

They thought it was caused because their center ballast tank was half full and when they stopped the water rushed forward unbalancing the boat. It sounded more like it probably got thrown in reverse while still moving forward at a decent speed. Any other thoughts that would have caused this?

They warned me that my X-Star should be of concern due to the very low front end. I've never had a problem and am just glad I bought a MasterCraft.

I have to say that water going over the bimini sounds like a load of crap to me. I've take water over the bow when comin around to pick up a fallen wakeboarder, but it only fills the area for your feet in the bow....

mcprostar197
08-29-2005, 03:22 PM
. .

I would cry if that happened to my boat.

Scot
08-29-2005, 03:22 PM
Just goose the throttle a split second prior to hitting your own wake to get the boat over it.

When is doubt, give it gas... stopping to "look" or "freezing up" will get you in more trouble ...

DanC
08-29-2005, 03:25 PM
The 23 xti is a pretty big DD boat. The DD is going to ride a little more nose down at idle to start with. A shift in a partially filled center ballast, a sudden stop, two people in the bow and you could easily put a 2 footer over the bow. One doesn't need to head into a roller, if your speed is just right (or wrong) the stern roller can catch up to you and shove your tail in the air and sink the nose.

I am quite sure I could sink my MC PS209 using this method :eek:

DanC
08-29-2005, 03:27 PM
I have to say that water going over the bimini sounds like a load of crap to me. I've take water over the bow when comin around to pick up a fallen wakeboarder, but it only fills the area for your feet in the bow....

I have seen water over the bow get channeled up the windshield and on to a bimini.

gr8smiles
08-29-2005, 04:02 PM
How holier than thou is this? It never happens to Mastercraft my a$$. Done it in my 205 & in my brother's 190 & in my buddies 190. Granted we've never sunk the boat, but we've fried the stereos! The covered bows seem to make it worse as the water comes over the bow & then up & over the windshield dumping it right on the dash.
That said, we got caught in a wind storm on the Columbia this weekend. We had to make it back about a mile to our little protected cove in 4' or 5' swells! I had 800 lbs of ballast & 6 people in the boat, easily at it's weight cap or slightly over. And I didn't sub the bow even one time! It's DEFINITELY due to driver error.

I know that it is driver error....just having a little fun....lighten up...I can dunk my star with the best of them....especially with 5-6 people in that huge bow....

zinsane
08-30-2005, 12:43 AM
I cannot vouch for a Malibu, but I can tell you from experience that going from 47 mph forward to reverse in a 190 did not throw even an inch of water over the bow or windshield in about 4 feet of clam water, the stern lifted partially out of the water and the boat came to almost a complete stop in a little more than a boat length.

PendO
08-30-2005, 01:15 AM
I cannot vouch for a Malibu, but I can tell you from experience that going from 47 mph forward to reverse in a 190 did not throw even an inch of water over the bow or windshield in about 4 feet of clam water, the stern lifted partially out of the water and the boat came to almost a complete stop in a little more than a boat length.

Were you going straight and just pullled it into reverse at 47MPH, or did you crank the wheel and the momentum just take you backwards ... if the former, is this good for the transmission;) Not sure I will try that in ours ... is yours available for a test run :dance:

mcprostar197
08-30-2005, 01:38 AM
I have seen water over the bow get channeled up the windshield and on to a bimini.

must have happened on a 190 or a closed bow, cuz the water would just drop into the seating area if it was an open bow....

erkoehler
08-30-2005, 02:41 AM
Over the 4th of July weekend, I had to turn QUICK to get back to a skier to block them from some wave runners :mad: and just as I came to a rest next to the downed skier, a HUGE I/O cruised by at maybe 15mph and just threw a monstrous wave right towards the bow.

I couldn't move the boat since the jet skiers were still swarming and not paying much attention, so I stood up in the drivers seat and jumped to the back of the boat for cover. The water came rushing over the bow, up the windshield and was quickly absorbed by my fully dressed observer who was clueless as to why I ran to the back of the boat!!! :eek:

east tx skier
08-30-2005, 12:17 PM
Live and learn, eh Erk. 8p

pilot02
08-30-2005, 12:37 PM
Over the 4th of July weekend, I had to turn QUICK to get back to a skier to block them from some wave runners :mad: and just as I came to a rest next to the downed skier, a HUGE I/O cruised by at maybe 15mph and just threw a monstrous wave right towards the bow.

I couldn't move the boat since the jet skiers were still swarming and not paying much attention, so I stood up in the drivers seat and jumped to the back of the boat for cover. The water came rushing over the bow, up the windshield and was quickly absorbed by my fully dressed observer who was clueless as to why I ran to the back of the boat!!! :eek:

Tell the truth! You just wanted the wet t-shirt contest didn't you...

zinsane
08-31-2005, 08:25 PM
I was running straight into the beach forward and went into reverse to stop the boat at the beach, - Not something I want to ever repeat or would ever recommend. Just a true testament to the craftsmanship and quality of a Mastercraft.

A group of us throw a ski party at a private lake for the kids form the Methodist Childrens Home out of Ruston every other summer, and a 13 year old was on the boom learning to ski. She fell, when I came back around, whe was face down in the water and having a seizure. Myself and a counselor that was in the boat with me jumped in and got her to the swim board when she stopped seizing, her eyes rolled back, and quit breathing. As we started to perform CPR, she caughed, and up came water and lunch and she went back into another seizure. We got her into the boat laid across the backseat with JT, told the 3 other girls to sit on the floor and not to move, and headed for shore. I had no concern for the boat at that point, only to get to shore and help. I was talking on the cell phone to 911, yelling back to JT about how she was doing and driving, so I can't exactly tell how far from the shore went into reverse, the boat stopped somewhere close to a boat length and then glided onto the beach as I turned the ingition off. After they airlifted her to LSU Med Center, I pushed the nose off the beach, and was very curious as to what was going to happed when I started it up. Cranked right up, I let it idle for about 5 minutes, then put it into gear, no problems. We skied the rest of the kids and barefooted the rest of the weekend wihtout a hitch. Took it to the dealer, he changed fluids, checked everything out, some shavings in the transmission, but that was it.

bigmac
08-31-2005, 09:36 PM
I was running straight into the beach forward and went into reverse to stop the boat at the beach, - Not something I want to ever repeat or would ever recommend. Just a true testament to the craftsmanship and quality of a Mastercraft.

A group of us throw a ski party at a private lake for the kids form the Methodist Childrens Home out of Ruston every other summer, and a 13 year old was on the boom learning to ski. She fell, when I came back around, whe was face down in the water and having a seizure. Myself and a counselor that was in the boat with me jumped in and got her to the swim board when she stopped seizing, her eyes rolled back, and quit breathing. As we started to perform CPR, she caughed, and up came water and lunch and she went back into another seizure. We got her into the boat laid across the backseat with JT, told the 3 other girls to sit on the floor and not to move, and headed for shore. I had no concern for the boat at that point, only to get to shore and help. I was talking on the cell phone to 911, yelling back to JT about how she was doing and driving, so I can't exactly tell how far from the shore went into reverse, the boat stopped somewhere close to a boat length and then glided onto the beach as I turned the ingition off. After they airlifted her to LSU Med Center, I pushed the nose off the beach, and was very curious as to what was going to happed when I started it up. Cranked right up, I let it idle for about 5 minutes, then put it into gear, no problems. We skied the rest of the kids and barefooted the rest of the weekend wihtout a hitch. Took it to the dealer, he changed fluids, checked everything out, some shavings in the transmission, but that was it.

Nice. Amazing how single-minded one can become when a life is at stake. Sounds like remarkeable presence-of-mind, from saving the girl's life to your efficient method of beaching the boat.

Leroy
08-31-2005, 09:46 PM
Zinsane; Great work, hope the girl made a full recovery. Did she hit something or just have a seizure?

parks_jr_55
08-31-2005, 09:54 PM
Try overweighting a pontoon boat and take it into some waves...see what happens.

JDK
08-31-2005, 10:36 PM
Try overweighting a pontoon boat and take it into some waves...see what happens.

This story pretty much answers the question above
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/06/10/newcapsize050610.html

mcprostar197
08-31-2005, 11:09 PM

hahahaha. Thats great.

zinsane
09-01-2005, 02:13 AM
Thanks. She did make a full recovery after about 3 months in ICU. The first medics on the scene thought she had hit her head on the boom, but I kept telling them I could not see how. We were going 15 - 17 mph and she fell backwards. The flight nurse was the only one who would really listen to me and understood what I was saying, from the forward momentum of the boat carrying the boom forward and her body falling backwards, it just wasn't possible, not to mention the counselor was sitting on the motor cover facing her instructing, watching everything. All of the children from the home are orphans, or placed in the home by the state or parents, mostly troubled youth. Once the medical records were forwarded and several MRI's had been run determining she had not hit her head, the doctors discovered she had a history of seizures and had been faking taking her meds for an unknown amount of time. They kept her there unitl she leveled out and then she went back to the home.