PDA

View Full Version : VW Touareg Wins Hands Down

MattsCraft
07-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Last night we had a T-Bone accident in my brand new 2012 VW Touareg TDI. I just got the vehicle last Wednesday. Both Susan and I walked away, my shoulders and neck are really sore and Susan has a little cut on the forehead and sore chest from the air bag impact.

Here is what happened if you care to read on. This is a stretch of road that is winding and down hill, 4 lanes wide "active" We were in the left lane headed south, apparently the Mustang was coming up the hill North at a high rate of speed "Drunk" and clipped the Lexis in the rear driver side bumper sending him left of center directly into us, our impact sent him into the right south bound lane and into another car. Both the Mustang and Impala drivers had to be cut out of the cars. All I remeber is talking to Susan and a split second I see the green Mustang, and the guys look of horror and "Bam" I never touched the brake. I just remember saying What the "F", never got the F word out. I am a huge Indy fan and do remember instinctively taking my hands off the wheel just before impact as the race drivers do. As I think it through, pretty sure he must have been racing another car, why else would he swerve left of center??? Not sure only got to talk to the Lexis driver briefly.

The Touareg is a beast, I will be getting another one, the car did not move from the lane at impact. Automatically, it cut the engine, put on the emergency brake, put all 4 windows down about 2" and turned on the emergency flashers. Still cannot believe we walked away. Susan was taken to the hospital for a chest X-ray as a precaution but is OK. The Mustang did not fair to well. The officer did tell me he was cited, was in the hospital and unconscious, That's all the details I have at this point, no idea if he has Insurance.:rolleyes:

We leave for Norris on Thursday, this was going to be the first real test of the Touareg on a long trip, guess I will be renting a Truck for the trip. Also, thank goodness I was not towing the boat, as this route is our typical way a,most every weekend...

CantRepeat
07-29-2012, 10:39 AM
Really glad neither of you were badly injured!

LYNRDSKYNRD
07-29-2012, 10:56 AM
Glad Yall made it relatively unscathed. I've been thinking about a used touareg for my sons first vehicle this makes it a top contender.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

ttu
07-29-2012, 10:59 AM
damm glad you and your wife are okay. almost pulled the trigger on a black lux tdi just like yours yesterday. we might get the deal done monday.

again glad you two are okay!!

Hrkdrivr
07-29-2012, 11:21 AM
Glad it turned out. VW builds great stuff.

barefoot
07-29-2012, 11:25 AM
damn son...glad to hear you and your wife are ok.

Hogwild
07-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Wow...glad you guys were okay!!

@TTU-looks like the towing thread got you excited for a new ride :-)

Wish that I had funds for the Touareg as that is the way I would probably go as well based on observation.

MattsCraft
07-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Thanks guys, I am still in shell shock, the freaking sound and vision of the green Mustang still in my head over and over. I will have to tell you, I read on here and the VW forums about how great this vehicle was to tow with. I only towed last weekend for a short trip, was looking forward to the 4 hour tow to Norris Thursday, oh well... however the the VW TDI is a beast, on a steep highway uphill, went from 40 mph to 70, she was pushing 3000 rpms and then dropped to 2500 half way up and just waiting for more. My biggest concern was with sway on the highway, nothin, nodda, not an issue. Coming from a Ram 1500, this truck hands down tows far better. The shorter wheelbase, makes backing a cinch, only issue I have is all you can see out of the windshield rear view is 2 pickle forks, lol.

I am for sure a diesel convert. Funny, I just put my MC swag on it Saturday afternoon and was going to post this pic in the Tow Vehicle thread.:rolleyes:

milkmania
07-29-2012, 12:09 PM
*snip
Automatically, it cut the engine, put on the emergency brake, put all 4 windows down about 2" and turned on the emergency flashers.

Glad you're ok!
but damn.... does it deploy flotation pontoons and scuba masks when you drive it into the riverhttp://deephousepage.com/smilies/conf40.gif
Would those automatic actions work if battery was crushed:confused: eg: secondary battery or storage cell
also, did it contact emergency services for you:confused:

I'm glad your family walked away, today's technology is amazing and only getting better.

east tx skier
07-29-2012, 01:49 PM
Glad you guys are alright. I'm new to VW as of last year and am in awe of all of the safety feature. On your next on, make sure to get someone with a VCDS to turn on the emergency braking lights. Another cool feature that is available.

dmayer84
07-29-2012, 03:04 PM
VW tends to put the batteries right in front of the firewall. Quite the pain when having to do an extrication but I honestly can't remember actually having to cut someone out of a vw only disconnect the battery after the accident.

fskof
07-29-2012, 03:10 PM
First of all I would like to say that I'm Really glad to hear neither of you were badly injured! The car can be replaced but you and your wife cannot be replaced.

Second, The Touareg is a very over engineered vehicle. It is a great Tow, Offroad, Highway cruiser. I have a 2004 Touareg V8 that has been my best vehicle ever. Its a better tow vehicle then the Dodge Dakota and Chevy pick up that I had.

And to answer this question:
Would those automatic actions work if battery was crushed eg: secondary battery or storage cell

Yes the automatic actions would work because the battery in my 2004 is located under the drivers seat so it would be very hard for the battery to get damaged.

MattsCraft -So now the question is are you getting a brand new 2013?

jdl xstar
07-29-2012, 03:30 PM
Tired of POS drivers like the guy in the mustang who easily could have killed someone had they not been wearing seat belts.

Yes, Touaregs are sweet and love this thing. Had one now for just about a year. (I got the T-reg due to a POS driver runnng a red light and t-boning me and totalling my Explorer)

Glad you're ok.

billr
07-29-2012, 03:45 PM
FWIW. The battery is under the driver seat. Just had ours replaced in the last 6 months.

AZX9
07-29-2012, 04:05 PM
I can't say enough good about my TDI T-reg. I am not surprised at how well it did. It just has a solid feel to it, from the way the door shuts to the heavy but very nimble feel of the vehicle.

scott023
07-29-2012, 09:06 PM
Glad you're ok. Not a fun experience at all.

Ryan
07-29-2012, 11:50 PM
I'm glad you and your wife are ok. What side of town is that...so I know where to avoid street racing?

Where are you staying at Norris? I'm heading there on Sat for a week.

MattsCraft
07-30-2012, 12:05 AM
Glad you're ok!
but damn.... does it deploy flotation pontoons and scuba masks when you drive it into the riverhttp://deephousepage.com/smilies/conf40.gif

MattsCraft -So now the question is are you getting a brand new 2013?
That is what the propeller in the receiver is for:headbang:

Probably not, 2013's won't hit until September. The sales guy is going to get a nice early Christmas present, no doubt after this, I will be getting another one, just can't say enough good things about T-reg.

Still have visions of what if I was towing the boat... and also, normally we would have taken my EOS with the top down on a nice summer night, but was going to meet my brother to show off the new rig. The EOS is another great German engineered product, but honestly don't think we would have fared as well:eek:

MattsCraft
07-30-2012, 12:12 AM
I'm glad you and your wife are ok. What side of town is that...so I know where to avoid street racing?

Where are you staying at Norris? I'm heading there on Sat for a week.

Ryan - It is Colerain Avenue Hill from I-75, we were just past Mt Airy Forest headed South down the hill to 75. We will be staying on Race Track Hollow, just off of Big Creek.

93Prostar190
07-30-2012, 07:26 AM
Matt, just read your thread .... I am just glad you are ok. The Germans sure now how to build safe cars.....

Peace.

Ryan
07-30-2012, 04:14 PM
Ryan - It is Colerain Avenue Hill from I-75, we were just past Mt Airy Forest headed South down the hill to 75. We will be staying on Race Track Hollow, just off of Big Creek.

I'm going to be at Flat Hollow. I was going to say swing by... but it looks like it's more than 10 miles from where you're staying.

willyt
07-30-2012, 04:29 PM
ryan - i'll be at norris this weekend myself, we'll be staying at deerfield and will most likely ride up your way (since its a little less crowded than going the other way).
Masterbash is this weekend at powell valley as well, i think the tie up at the jumping bridge is saturday.
I'll probably hang with mattscraft on sunday/possibly till wednesday. I'm the navy metalflake 07 star with wetsounds. we're kinda hard to miss :p

fstaslp
07-30-2012, 04:34 PM
I'll be there also for Masterbash.

You can find me in this:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7259/7643578612_b853c39147_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/fstaslp/7643578612/)
DSC01461 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/fstaslp/7643578612/) by FST ASLP (http://www.flickr.com/people/fstaslp/), on Flickr

MattsCraft
07-31-2012, 12:15 PM
Glad you guys are alright. I'm new to VW as of last year and am in awe of all of the safety feature. On your next on, make sure to get someone with a VCDS to turn on the emergency braking lights. Another cool feature that is available.
Easty - What is a VCDS? Dealer is in the process of locating another one for me now.

pmkkdx
07-31-2012, 12:28 PM
VCDS = VAG COM Diagnostic System ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VAG-COM ;)

milkmania
07-31-2012, 12:38 PM
VCDS = VAG COM Diagnostic System ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VAG-COM ;)

methinks the vag-com website is already takenhttp://deephousepage.com/smilies/rofl5.gif

milkmania
07-31-2012, 12:40 PM
Easty - What is a VCDS? Dealer is in the process of locating another one for me now.

I searched it the other day.... found a youtube video where the windows and sunroof close up when the sensor detects water on VW PASSAT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2rC0wr0zno

SilviaMan
07-31-2012, 03:00 PM

Dealer should be able to do that for you....
Some of your local independents might also have a tool capable of doing this.
(I have the capability to do this at my shop.)
I re coded my mothers a4 to roll the windows down when you hold the key in the unlock position in the door. also up in the lock position. (next I'll get a euro. module so she can do this via the remote fob)
Those cars are pretty cool with the features.

ttu
07-31-2012, 03:04 PM
picking up a tdi lux this afternoon.:D

ttu
08-12-2012, 09:40 AM
so any update on your vacation? hope your family was able to still take the trip.

2RLAKE
08-12-2012, 10:21 AM
Glad you were unhurt ... Heck of a story Matt ... You missed a great day yesterday .... Not a cloud in the sky all day but lots of boats .... Only 60 at 9:00 am!

MattsCraft
08-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Glad you were unhurt ... Heck of a story Matt ... You missed a great day yesterday .... Not a cloud in the sky all day but lots of boats .... Only 60 at 9:00 am!

Yeah, hard to leave. We were pulling the boat out and heard you guys go by footin and then some yelling... Curious what happened? Pretty cool seeing 2 guys on the long line:cool: We are going to try and make a fall trip this year!

tr6coug
08-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Hey MattsCraft, I just saw this. Happy that you walked away from this. Did the mustang driver get charged with DUI?

2RLAKE
08-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Yeah, hard to leave. We were pulling the boat out and heard you guys go by footin and then some yelling... Curious what happened? Pretty cool seeing 2 guys on the long line:cool: We are going to try and make a fall trip this year!

yelling??? those were screams of joy! too bad we didn't get all four of us back there for a really good show! Let us know when you coming back down ... in your new Touareg

east tx skier
08-13-2012, 12:30 AM

Link. It's a cable that you can use to run fault codes, clear fault codes, and tweak settings on VWs.

Link (http://www.ross-tech.com/)

east tx skier
08-13-2012, 12:31 AM
methinks the vag-com website is already takenhttp://deephousepage.com/smilies/rofl5.gif

Which is why I wrote VCDS. Vag-Com sounds like something you want to avoid.

east tx skier
08-13-2012, 12:33 AM
Dealer should be able to do that for you....
Some of your local independents might also have a tool capable of doing this.
(I have the capability to do this at my shop.)
I re coded my mothers a4 to roll the windows down when you hold the key in the unlock position in the door. also up in the lock position. (next I'll get a euro. module so she can do this via the remote fob)
Those cars are pretty cool with the features.

$99 per session around here. Cable for mine was $250. I run and print a scan before I take it in and avoid the diagnostic charge. It has paid for itself inside of 6 months. I will keep mine for as long as I own the car.

The window roll down, emergency brake lights, rain sensing windows up and DRL cutoff is an added bonus.

MattsCraft
08-14-2012, 01:15 PM
Update - Car is totaled, imagine my surprise:rolleyes: Called the guys insurance company since I have not heard anything in 2 weeks, he was canceled 2 days prior. He as about 5 arrest in the last year for theft, 2 days prior was arrested for speeding and driving under suspension. In my crash he is charged for failure to control, no DUI... Did not appear in court, how do I make sure this guy is prosecuted to the full extent of the law!!!

I carry 100K uninsured motorist coverage. Insurance company is covering the T-Rex full value, so should be good there, pick up the new one tomorrow.

Question is this, should I hire an attorney??? Should I be asking for pain and suffering, don't want to milk the system, just want to make sure if we have any long term effects from the whiplash I am covered on the medical, we are both still really sore after 2 weeks in the neck and shoulders.

oxberger
08-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Definately get a lawyer. You may not get to be compensated (he probably dropped the insurance 'cuase he couldn't afford it) but at least he'll have a judgement and can have wages garnished. If you don't go for pain and suffering at least go for the replacement cost of the car since I'm sure your insurance will go up eventually (even if they say its not becuase of the accident they'll find another way). I was in a car accident in high school and had severe back problems from it. I should have asked for more. You never know what will happen later in life. Talk to your friends or insurance company and see who in the area they recomend as a lawyer. You don't want one of the abulance chasers you see on TV. Glad you guys were OK and its worked out for you so far.

willyt
08-14-2012, 02:14 PM
Question is this, should I hire an attorney??? Should I be asking for pain and suffering, don't want to milk the system, just want to make sure if we have any long term effects from the whiplash I am covered on the medical, we are both still really sore after 2 weeks in the neck and shoulders.

matt, I'm not a big fan of lawyers (except the ones on here, of course) but if i wasnt able to ride the butter down at Norris because of that d-bag that's certainly worth something, alot to me. Big question is how much does he actually have and would you ever see a cent...