PDA

View Full Version : When To Service Engine

X45owner
08-29-2005, 12:15 PM
I tried to schedule my 50hr. service last month, but the dealer couldn't fit my boat in for 2 months! The service tech advised me that I didn't need to service my boat until 100 hours. I explained that the owners manual recommends service at 50 hours. Service Tech. responded, "Trust me your good for 100 hours." Any advice, from you more mechanically inclined than myself, would be appreciated.

Also, the same tech told me to "drive it like I stole it" during break in. I chose to take the owners manual recommendation on this one.

Leroy
08-29-2005, 12:35 PM
Sorry to say there is probably as much folklure as science on this topic.

erkoehler
08-29-2005, 12:57 PM
I am not 100% sure as to what they do during the 50hr check, but at the least I would change the oil and trans fluid.

east tx skier
08-29-2005, 01:25 PM
Owning a used boat, I really haven't investigated this, but do you risk voiding your warranty by not following the MC recommended maintenance schedule, which includes oil changes every 50 hours? I'd write the dealer a letter memorializing the conversation you had with their tech if I were in your shoes.

MYMC
08-29-2005, 01:51 PM
In order to best preserve the warranty, follow and document when completed the procedures as outlined in your manual. If there is ever an issue with the boat it is always best to be able to say & prove "I followed the procedures and services as outlined in the manual". If that is not possible I would memorialize the conversation per East's recommendation.

Remember that ultimately all warranty decisions are made by MasterCraft/Indmar and they like to see that their procedures were followed. I don't mean to side step the original question but I think the warranty would/should be the larger issue.

JDK
08-29-2005, 02:22 PM
If I had been given info. like that, I'd be looking for a different service tech and/or dealer.

mcprostar197
08-29-2005, 02:27 PM
I tried to schedule my 50hr. service last month, but the dealer couldn't fit my boat in for 2 months! The service tech advised me that I didn't need to service my boat until 100 hours. I explained that the owners manual recommends service at 50 hours. Service Tech. responded, "Trust me your good for 100 hours." Any advice, from you more mechanically inclined than myself, would be appreciated.

Also, the same tech told me to "drive it like I stole it" during break in. I chose to take the owners manual recommendation on this one.

The 50 hours is most likely just a suggested time to do it, but nothing too serious should happen if you don't. The tech is probably saying that it will be absolutely necessary for the well being of your engine to have it done at 100 hours.
Drive it like you stole it during break in?...... Im not too sure about that advice....

JDK
08-29-2005, 02:41 PM
The 50 hours is most likely just a suggested time to do it, but nothing too serious should happen if you don't.

What is the #1, undisputed, incontrovetable, unarguable maintenance action that determines the service life of an engine?........ and assuming this is the first time you're doing it, it is even more important.

mcprostar197
08-29-2005, 02:43 PM
What is the #1, undisputed, incontrovetable, unarguable maintenance action that determines the service life of an engine?

I dunno man, I don't know sh*t about engines and mechanics....
What is it?

JDK
08-29-2005, 02:44 PM
Changing the oil and filter.
(sorry, didn't mean to come of like a d*nk......this time :D )

mcprostar197
08-29-2005, 02:47 PM
Changing the oil and filter.
(sorry, didn't mean to come of like a d*nk......this time :D )

No offense taken.

NeilM
08-29-2005, 02:50 PM
Exactly.
Change the oil and filter. Look for loose screws & bolts, leaks. Check the tranny fluid level.

If you're in a very humid place, the lubrication of the starter (see quarterly) probably isn't a bad idea.

' sounds like you should book your 100hr now....

X45owner
08-29-2005, 04:01 PM
In order to best preserve the warranty, follow and document when completed the procedures as outlined in your manual. If there is ever an issue with the boat it is always best to be able to say & prove "I followed the procedures and services as outlined in the manual". If that is not possible I would memorialize the conversation per East's recommendation.

Remember that ultimately all warranty decisions are made by MasterCraft/Indmar and they like to see that their procedures were followed. I don't mean to side step the original question but I think the warranty would/should be the larger issue.

I was going to get to the warranty issue, but you guys beat me to it. That said, is there any mastercraft/Indmar mechanics that you would recommend. I live in Southern California, inland between L.A. and San Diego (Temecula,CA).

BigBarney
08-29-2005, 04:38 PM
Can't help you on the geographics, Chattanooga is just a few miles away from Temecula. Here is something that I do at my local dealer which has always given me piece of mind:

1) I take my list of things that I want done and give it to Kim at the dealership. She is an angel - she writes everything on my list on a dealership work order. I get a copy of the finalized work order when I pick the boat up. It has the mechanic's John Hancock. I file it away.

To know that I have documented proof of what was done gives me great comfort incase a warranty issue comes up.

JDK
08-29-2005, 05:21 PM
I was going to get to the warranty issue, but you guys beat me to it. That said, is there any mastercraft/Indmar mechanics that you would recommend. I live in Southern California, inland between L.A. and San Diego (Temecula,CA).

For just an oil change, I'd go to any decent wakeboard/dd boat dealer. I'm sure you can find one with a wait time of less than 2 months. (you can even supply the oil & filter that your regular dealer uses).
- you'd also find plenty of help on this site if you tried to do it yourself.

X2M
08-29-2005, 06:10 PM
For just an oil change, I'd go to any decent wakeboard/dd boat dealer. I'm sure you can find one with a wait time of less than 2 months. (you can even supply the oil & filter that your regular dealer uses).
- you'd also find plenty of help on this site if you tried to do it yourself.

Would doing that void the warranty? We have done our own oil changes in the past but with a brand new boat is that something you should do? I ask because like X45owner we have a really long wait time for appointments w/ our dealer too.

Darned if you do and darned if you don't kind of thing.

:)

JDK
08-29-2005, 07:19 PM
Would doing that void the warranty?

In Canada, with cars, it doesn't, but you can be asked to provide proof of having the maintenace done (reciepts). I realize this may be quite a bit different than boats.
This is why I suggested buying the oil and filter at your dealer, and doing it yourself another having it done at another shop.

X45owner
08-29-2005, 08:20 PM
Would doing that void the warranty? We have done our own oil changes in the past but with a brand new boat is that something you should do? I ask because like X45owner we have a really long wait time for appointments w/ our dealer too.

Darned if you do and darned if you don't kind of thing.

Can anybody answer this. I have the same concern. I'm willing to do the work myself. However, I didn't want to void my warranty. Hey X2momma, sounds like we need to open up MC dealerships in our areas.

JimN
08-29-2005, 09:26 PM
Somehow, I knew you were in that part of CA by the dealer's response. Call Chuck and tell him you want the service to be done at the MC recommended intervals. The oil needs to be changed, the transmission oil, oil filter, shaft alignment, diagnostics and a lot of other things need to be done. Them telling you to wait till 100 hours is nuts! Looks like they haven't fixed their problems.

MYMC
08-30-2005, 09:04 AM
From my understanding the warranty cannot be voided by doing your own routine work (i.e. oil/filter changes); however, you should be prepared to supply receipts and proof should a warranty issue arise.

X45owner
08-30-2005, 10:43 AM
Somehow, I knew you were in that part of CA by the dealer's response. Call Chuck and tell him you want the service to be done at the MC recommended intervals. The oil needs to be changed, the transmission oil, oil filter, shaft alignment, diagnostics and a lot of other things need to be done. Them telling you to wait till 100 hours is nuts! Looks like they haven't fixed their problems.

I didn't want to go to the owner right away until I had some questions answered. Also, I had to use that card when I took delivery of the boat. It was a disaster, to say the least. However, the only thing I lost was time. The dealer eventually made everything right. Soo, in this situation I didn't want to run to the owner and be labeled a complainer unless I had my facts. I can say that I've been very reasonable from the beginning. However, based on my past exerpience, and comments on this thread, I have reason to dought the service tech. Looks like I will calling the owner again.