PDA

View Full Version : 1997 ProStar190

bradamerry
07-28-2012, 11:49 AM
Hello all, been alittle while since I've posted, hope everyone is doing well.

i'm back in the market for a MC and wanted some input on the 97' 190. I've located one that we like, but wanted to hear some pros and cons on the model. Boat will be used mostly for kneeboarding. Thanks for all the help in advance. I'm also interested in the 205's from 95' to 99', if anyone has any comments on those.

BriEOD
07-28-2012, 11:52 AM
Hi Brad. I hope all is well with you and yours.

BrianM has a 97 PS 190 and would be your best resource for feedback. I bet you could PM and set up a phone call.

Best,
B

bradamerry
07-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Thanks Brian..... any idea what the boat is worth w/ vette engine? 700 plus hrs. This was the first summer I've not had a boat since I was 19... But my golf game is in top form!

BriEOD
07-28-2012, 12:24 PM
I'd guess somewhere in the $12-17K range depending on condition, etc. Again, talk to BrianM he can surely speak more intelligently on this subject than I can.

Golf, huh?

Farmer Ted
07-28-2012, 12:44 PM
Wildman!

Welcome back to the Darkside, I'll sell you the '98 it's got a tower now and a much more family friendly boat.

You guys still up in Magnolia? We were up at Greeson for the 4th, have been away from that place way too long.

How's Kaylee? Jen starts her senior year in a couple of weeks.... man they grow up too fast.

BrianM
07-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Everything BriEOD said. Love my '97 190. If you take a bunch of people the 205 would be a better choice though.

If you buy Farmer's 98 make sure you get a supply of shampoo to go with it. :cool:

BriEOD
07-28-2012, 01:21 PM
Yeah, stay away from those 98s. They can inadvertently capsize at any moment...LOL.

Tim, good to see you on here. I hope you're well!

milkmania
07-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Brad, Great to see you back!!!

"They ALWAYS come back"http://deephousepage.com/smilies/jackson.gif

Farmer Ted
07-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Yeah, stay away from those 98s. They can inadvertently capsize at any moment...LOL.

Tim, good to see you on here. I hope you're well!

Hey Brian! Hope all is well over there. Keep safe brother!

flya750
07-28-2012, 02:59 PM
I have a 1997 PS 190.w/Lt1... Love it! Bought it new in 1997 for $29,500 - Loaded!

What I would look for.. is if the fuel pump or engine circulating water pump has ever been replaced?... The water pump for sure will most likely be in rough shape being 15 years old. I replaced mine this past spring and my pump was shot.
870 hrs.

The 1997 didn't have any fuel filters between the tank and the fuel pump... just a small screen @ the base of the fuel pump. After 15 years that small little screen will become partially blocked and cause reduced rpms. Also, if the boat was never winterized properly or the gas was ever let to sit for a long time without stable... then you most likely have some nasty gummy build up in the fuel pump which will affect performance.

If you are going to replace the fuel pump and engine water pump then you only need to buy GM parts.. because BOTH of these parts were NOT special Indmar marinized parts. Which is BS! the water pump should have at least been somewhat marinized by Indmar...After all ... it is a Mastercraft and is suppose to be the BMW of boats right? When I replaced my water pump I also changed the plumbing for the hot water shower. .made a big differnce with the hot air temp @ idle. Prior the heater was worthless @ idle. I also installed two 160 termostats.

I had lots of problems with interiors with my boat since summer #1. Garage kept and babied and I have had to replace every skin in the boat, some twice... Well.. no more.. next year all new skins with the new technology vinyl..Once I replace the interior my boat will be better than new and I plan on keeping it for another 20 years...

It's a great ski boat.. I free ski @ 35' and shorter... as long as there is not too much weight in the boat... skiing the wake is like skiing across the dining room table ;)

FYI..I would not sell my boat for less than $15k...giving that in 1998 things went down hill fast for the PS190 and it would cost $65k to replace my boat new today.....My boat is in mint shape with the exception of a few tears in the interior.

One more thing.. I bought a Acme 3 blade this past spring.. the difference in performance is just amazing! I can't even describe the performance increase.. just mind blowing! I clocked my boat w/gps, three people and a full cooler @ 48.5 mph. With the new prop boat goes form 30 to 40 in a blink...hang on!

As for a comparison between the 190 and 205.. to me the single and only question that should be asked.. is.. how good of a slalom boat do you want? If you can compromise the slalom wake and you have kids.. maybe the 205 would be a better choice. But if the slalom wake is most important.. then the 190 is what I would want.

Great boat! The 1997 looks so awesome when it's in the water.. What color is this PS190 boat you're looking @ ?

bradamerry
07-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Wildman!

Welcome back to the Darkside, I'll sell you the '98 it's got a tower now and a much more family friendly boat.

You guys still up in Magnolia? We were up at Greeson for the 4th, have been away from that place way too long.

How's Kaylee? Jen starts her senior year in a couple of weeks.... man they grow up too fast.

How much farmer? Kaylee is fine and growing like a weed. We saw Jen about 3 yrs ago at Greeson.

bradamerry
07-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Thanks for all the info guys!!

Cloaked
07-28-2012, 09:49 PM
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/boa/3169446044.html

lukedeuce
07-28-2012, 10:02 PM

I am in Des Moines every week at least once. If someone needs me to check out, i would be more than happy to, just send me a PM

bailey78
07-28-2012, 10:46 PM
To FLYA750!
I also have a 1997 PROSTAR 190, And have never had an issue with the interior, nor do I know anybody who has ever had a problem with 97' boats interior regardless of model.

flya750
07-28-2012, 11:47 PM
@Bailey, I hear ya! I look @ used late model 90's MC's just for fun...... and I always see original vinyl.

Not sure why I've had so many problems?.. My boat has always been garage kept and always wiped down after use w/303 Protectant.. I had seams coming apart summer #1. My boat was never abused. I've seen the quality of interior that came in my '97 PS190 boat and there is no defense that the quality was bad in my boat.

I've seen other used boats @ the dealership from time to time and the first thing I look for is the condition of the vinyl and if its original? I always see what looks like original?!? and I scratch my head.

I'm very much looking forward to getting the newer technology vinyl next year.

To FLYA750!
I also have a 1997 PROSTAR 190, And have never had an issue with the interior, nor do I know anybody who has ever had a problem with 97' boats interior regardless of model.

flya750
07-28-2012, 11:56 PM
This boat sounds like a GREAT! Deal! Wow! Shouldn't last long...

bradamerry
07-29-2012, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the info!! The boat is White, Red and black.. looks almost the same as brianM's PS.. Asking price is 14K.. think we will make a trip next Saturday for a test ride.

I have a 1997 PS 190.w/Lt1... Love it! Bought it new in 1997 for $29,500 - Loaded!

What I would look for.. is if the fuel pump or engine circulating water pump has ever been replaced?... The water pump for sure will most likely be in rough shape being 15 years old. I replaced mine this past spring and my pump was shot.
870 hrs.

The 1997 didn't have any fuel filters between the tank and the fuel pump... just a small screen @ the base of the fuel pump. After 15 years that small little screen will become partially blocked and cause reduced rpms. Also, if the boat was never winterized properly or the gas was ever let to sit for a long time without stable... then you most likely have some nasty gummy build up in the fuel pump which will affect performance.

If you are going to replace the fuel pump and engine water pump then you only need to buy GM parts.. because BOTH of these parts were NOT special Indmar marinized parts. Which is BS! the water pump should have at least been somewhat marinized by Indmar...After all ... it is a Mastercraft and is suppose to be the BMW of boats right? When I replaced my water pump I also changed the plumbing for the hot water shower. .made a big differnce with the hot air temp @ idle. Prior the heater was worthless @ idle. I also installed two 160 termostats.

I had lots of problems with interiors with my boat since summer #1. Garage kept and babied and I have had to replace every skin in the boat, some twice... Well.. no more.. next year all new skins with the new technology vinyl..Once I replace the interior my boat will be better than new and I plan on keeping it for another 20 years...

It's a great ski boat.. I free ski @ 35' and shorter... as long as there is not too much weight in the boat... skiing the wake is like skiing across the dining room table ;)

FYI..I would not sell my boat for less than $15k...giving that in 1998 things went down hill fast for the PS190 and it would cost $65k to replace my boat new today.....My boat is in mint shape with the exception of a few tears in the interior.

One more thing.. I bought a Acme 3 blade this past spring.. the difference in performance is just amazing! I can't even describe the performance increase.. just mind blowing! I clocked my boat w/gps, three people and a full cooler @ 48.5 mph. With the new prop boat goes form 30 to 40 in a blink...hang on!

As for a comparison between the 190 and 205.. to me the single and only question that should be asked.. is.. how good of a slalom boat do you want? If you can compromise the slalom wake and you have kids.. maybe the 205 would be a better choice. But if the slalom wake is most important.. then the 190 is what I would want.

Great boat! The 1997 looks so awesome when it's in the water.. What color is this PS190 boat you're looking @ ?

east tx skier
07-30-2012, 12:58 PM
Hi there, Brad! Glad to see you're getting back into it. Good luck with the search!

bradamerry
07-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Thanks Doug... We have 2 boats in mind already. 93' PS and a 97' PS...

BrianM
07-31-2012, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the info!! The boat is White, Red and black.. looks almost the same as brianM's PS.. Asking price is 14K.. think we will make a trip next Saturday for a test ride.

Mine is actually Reuben and Night Navy not red and black although from a distance it looks red/black. My buddy has a '97 205 in the Red/black. Brighter red and a true black second stripe. Either way its a great color scheme. Resale Red!

east tx skier
08-01-2012, 12:09 AM
Thanks Doug... We have 2 boats in mind already. 93' PS and a 97' PS...

You can't go wrong.

c_craig
08-01-2012, 08:52 AM

870 hrs.

What happened with 1998 PS 190 that was so bad? There is one nearby I was going to go take a look at. I don't like the color scheme as much as some others, but it is low hours, LT1, EFI.