PDA

View Full Version : What to Check on Engine???

wiley77
07-28-2012, 12:24 AM
I am going to look at a boat with the 350HP Inmar, but the electronics are not hooked up. What could be checked to help insure the engine is alright?

FrankSchwab
07-28-2012, 02:51 AM
1. Check the oil. The Indmar should have an oil drain hose hooked up to the drain plug on the bottom of the engine. Undo the end on the drain hose, and drain an inch or so into a glass jar. Look for any water in the oil (discolored oil, especially milky looking, or "bubbles" in the bottom of the glass). If you see any, assume that you'll have to replace the engine (you may be able to R&R heads to fix it, but don't count on it).
2. If you can crank it over at all, do so and do a compression check.
3. Pull the plugs and look at them. Any water on them, and assume that you'll have to replace the engine. Oil contamination is also bad.
4. Check the bilge. Oil in the bilge means something is leaking (rear main, transmission, etc).
5. Pull the starter. Look for bits of metal inside - flex plates are fairly cheap, but a lot of work to get to.
6. If it's a carbed engine - there are others here better qualified to guide you. Make sure it's a marine carb (J-tubes on top of the carb to dump overflow fuel INTO the carb).

There's a lot more that involve simply looking - are the plug wires/cooling hoses/belt in good condition? Is the alternator a Marine version? Does it look like it was owned by a mechanic, a compulsive, or a redneck?

/frank

wiley77
07-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the help. I will be checking it out tomorrow. You listed a couple if things I had not thought of.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-30-2012, 04:15 PM
1. Check the oil. The Indmar should have an oil drain hose hooked up to the drain plug on the bottom of the engine. Undo the end on the drain hose, and drain an inch or so into a glass jar. Look for any water in the oil (discolored oil, especially milky looking, or "bubbles" in the bottom of the glass). If you see any, assume that you'll have to replace the engine (you may be able to R&R heads to fix it, but don't count on it).
2. If you can crank it over at all, do so and do a compression check.
3. Pull the plugs and look at them. Any water on them, and assume that you'll have to replace the engine. Oil contamination is also bad.
4. Check the bilge. Oil in the bilge means something is leaking (rear main, transmission, etc).
5. Pull the starter. Look for bits of metal inside - flex plates are fairly cheap, but a lot of work to get to.
6. If it's a carbed engine - there are others here better qualified to guide you. Make sure it's a marine carb (J-tubes on top of the carb to dump overflow fuel INTO the carb).

There's a lot more that involve simply looking - are the plug wires/cooling hoses/belt in good condition? Is the alternator a Marine version? Does it look like it was owned by a mechanic, a compulsive, or a redneck?

/frank

Is this enough oil to get a realistic sample, or is this what remains in the drain tube? I only ask this thinking there could be a scenario where water could be in the bottom of the pan but not settle into the drain hose.

I would be tempted to fill a mason jar about half full first thing, then look at it after the rest of the engine is checked out for water/oil separation.

As for checking out a used carb, I would just assume it needs a rebuild and factor that in to the price. You are only looking at $50 worth of carb kit and a gallon of cleaner if you can do the work yourself.

LYNRDSKYNRD
07-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Don't forget to check the transmission fluid to for color.

wiley77
08-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at the boat, but had no need to check any of this. It was so badly misrepresented that I spent nearly 20 hours worth of driving to go look at a fixer upper that was nothing like I expected. Seller lied and thinks he has more boat than what he does.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Started out bad and got worse. Keep the faith............there is a boat out there with your name on it.

scott023
08-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at the boat, but had no need to check any of this. It was so badly misrepresented that I spent nearly 20 hours worth of driving to go look at a fixer upper that was nothing like I expected. Seller lied and thinks he has more boat than what he does.

That's the pitts. Sorry to hear, but I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.

LYNRDSKYNRD
08-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Where you located Wiley the guys on here love helping folks look for boats and they are darn good at it too!

wiley77
08-03-2012, 01:13 AM
I live in South Mississippi. As with probably everyone, I don't have the money to get what I would like to have. I was looking at an '03 X9 that needed some work. It turns out it needed a LOT of work. I would like to find something that could get me started surfing. I also like to wakeboard and pull the kids on the tube. How would a 2000-2001 Maristar be for this? I have never owned an inboard, so I am very unfamiliar with them. Thanks.