PDA

View Full Version : Caution : Check your oil filter !

msf23
07-27-2012, 11:09 PM
We have a 2007 X-30 with the 400 hp Vortec LY-6...two weeks ago when cleaning the boat I noticed oil in the hull ( I check the hull ofter as this is the first summer we have made it this far without the prop shaft seal failling). After spending this morning in the side compartment not meant for someone 6'2" i traced the leak (on a black painted motor this is brutal....my next engine will be yellow or red) to the remotely mounted oil filter (top of motor toward front of boat on drivers side).

Essentially the Mastercraft oil filter (about 4.5" long) was rubbing a bolt head towards the bottom of the bracket that holds the part the filter threads onto...till it wore a hole in the filter. Upon inspection it barely looked like the paint was scratched off...when the motor started the pressure made that little scratch a quite effective leak!

Swapped out to a shorter Mobil 1 filter. Just wanted to pass this along to hopefully prevent someone else a huge problem.

moleson10
07-31-2012, 07:29 PM
That's good info, thanks

medicmoose
07-31-2012, 10:10 PM
Good piece of knowledge to have...another pre-trip check. Thanks!

AZX9
07-31-2012, 11:37 PM
If your boat is new you might want to check that the filter is even tight. My past new boat was getting oil in the bilge. I found it after the oil was well short of the dip stick. Filter was loose from the factory.