PDA

View Full Version : One armed driving safe?

kgrove
07-27-2012, 07:04 PM
I had surgery a couple weeks back to repair a ruptured biceps tendon, so my left arm is in a brace that immobilizes the elbow and wrist. On top of that I have to be careful what I do with the rest of the arm and not do anything to strenuous. I don't want it to be a killjoy for the rest of the family and am considering taking the boat out this weekend. I'm the only decent driver... If I drive I should be able to hold the wheel steady with my left hand while operating the throttle with my right but I'm not sure I could do any heavy maneuvering unless I remove my right hand from the throttle. For anything other than straight or gentle turns, I'd have to have my right hand on the wheel and not the throttle - not my normal m.o. If I go, I was planning on having my wife do most of the driving other than around the dock and trailering where she isn't comfortable. I'm going back and forth whether I should do this as I certainly feel safer with a hand on the throttle at nearly all times.

What do you all think? Safe or unsafe? While I can pawn off much of the driving, my family just doesn't yet have another driver comfortable around docks or crowded situations, and if I don't do it we can't go.

mzimme
07-27-2012, 07:11 PM
I would think it'd be harder to do the dock maneuvering and loading/unloading without the extra arm than it would be out on the open water.

I'd say that's your judgement call, just keep the fam safe!

1redTA
07-27-2012, 07:35 PM
hot foot throttle time :-)

BrooksfamX2
07-27-2012, 10:24 PM
After shoulder surgery I put a suicide knob on my steering wheel so I could drive one handed. Worked great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kgrove
07-27-2012, 10:56 PM
I would think it'd be harder to do the dock maneuvering and loading/unloading without the extra arm than it would be out on the open water.

I'd say that's your judgement call, just keep the fam safe!

Exactly. My wife is comfortable driving in open water but not around docks and crowds, which means my driving is needed exactly where it will be most difficult for me to do it with one arm. I think I might give it a try unless it is breezy.

mzimme
07-27-2012, 11:17 PM
Exactly. My wife is comfortable driving in open water but not around docks and crowds, which means my driving is needed exactly where it will be most difficult for me to do it with one arm. I think I might give it a try unless it is breezy.

I'd think you could still move the wheel around just a little bit for the loading/unloading bit with your bum arm while you knock the throttle in and out of idle speed. If you can do that, you can probably maneuver the boat enough that you can line it up on the trailer correctly. Docking can be helped with people on the dock using ropes. Loading and unloading should be your primary concern IMO.

Do it... see what happens. The worse that happens is you miss the trailer and fudge your boat up ;)