PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Ignition -- Worth it?

shepherd
08-29-2005, 11:19 AM
I've heard some talk here about installing an electronic ignition module in older boats. I found this one at Skidim. Are they really worth it? I guess I'll still need to adjust timing, etc. with this?

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RP173072

I'm giving my boat a long overdue tuneup. It's a '90 PS 190. I want to replace the plug wires also (probably not necessary, but they are pretty old). Can they be gotten at a regular auto parts place, or should I go through a marine supplier like skidim?

Thanks for you help guys. I know we have some real experts on this board.

Jim

east tx skier
08-29-2005, 11:21 AM
Try a search for Taylor wires (8mm). Somebody posted a source here recently. I don't think that's what skidim carries. My boat came with electronic ignition. But from what I hear, it's well worth the $$$.

H20skeefreek
08-29-2005, 11:46 AM
DO IT! You know DO IT!

Dan K
08-29-2005, 11:55 AM
Apart from a CNC prop this is the single biggest improvement you can make on your boat. You will notice a difference in staring as well as performance. Even thought the wires look good they probably are getting brittle and can be replaced as well. Consider some nice spark plugs while your at it.

MarkP
08-29-2005, 11:56 AM
I did it on my last boat. It was worth every cent and more!!

ski_king
08-29-2005, 11:57 AM
Best $100 I ever spent on my boat.

jwchapman
08-29-2005, 11:58 AM
By all means - do it. I have an 88 TriStar, Indmar 351, and put on the conversion kit from Discount Inboard Marine. I also changed out the plug wires (also from DIM). It took very little time and my boat purrs like a kitten.

Just make sure you bypass the resistor (if/as called for in the instructions). This is easily done by putting both wires on one side of the resistor - it is diagramed in the instructions.

The elec ignition kit and changing out the prop to an NC Acme have been the best things for my boat. Good luck!

phecksel
08-29-2005, 12:05 PM
Do it, on my old tristar it made a huge improvement to startability and idling.

PeteS
08-29-2005, 12:06 PM
Coresponding with what everyone else has said, instaliing EI will improve your starts, gas milage, performance, and reliability. I'd highly reccomend it.

jraben8
08-29-2005, 12:22 PM
Quit thinking about it and do it... You'll wish you had done it as soon as you purchased the boat.

87MC Dave
08-29-2005, 12:22 PM
I just got finished installing it on my boat....Well worth the money. Cold starts are alot better, runs a lot better as well. I did have to reset my timing, but was very easy. Install took no time at all. Did have som issues with which one to get, sine yours is a '90 model that is not a problem. You will not regret it.

BriEOD
08-29-2005, 02:13 PM
Worth every cent. Do a search and I have a tutorial with photos on here.

shepherd
08-29-2005, 11:39 PM
OK, looks like you guys might be in favor of the electronic ignition module... :rolleyes:

shepherd
08-30-2005, 12:06 AM
Thanks Bri, I think I found the tutorial: http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=3533&page=1&pp=10&highlight=electronic+ignition

BriEOD
08-30-2005, 08:25 AM
No worries Shep, I hope you get it switched out OK.

shepherd
09-02-2005, 12:15 AM
Got my "breakerless kit" from Skidim today, so I know what I'll be doing this weekend -- installing it with a printout of the "BriEOD Breakerless Kit Installation Manual" in hand. :woohoo:

I got a little spooked reading on here about some problems that people have had installing these kits, so hopefully I won't be crying on the phone to Skidim next week or begging you guys for help here. :o

Got some new plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, fuel filter element, etc too. My boat should run SWEET after all this. After that, I'm springing for the gelcoat restoration kit. Thanks for the inspiration guys!