PDA

View Full Version : Share your boating etiquette

ntidsl
07-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Thought it would be nice for any new boaters.

No tubing before 10am

No power turns...I'm always so proud of my wife when I wipe out (yes I wipe out)...she stops the boat, then at idle speed turns the boat around and depending on how close she is idles back or gets on plane to get me.

Idle or on plane...those are your two speeds

Pack your boat off the ramp, out of the way of those who are ready to drop

No tubing after 8pm

Teach your wife how to drive the boat or the truck at least, preferable both...better yet marry a girl who grew up backing boats in or driving boats.

No cheetos!

MASTIQUE
07-27-2012, 02:46 PM
Here are mine:

• naked feet only in and while boarding the boat (no flip flops on seats or sunpads)
• no sliding coolers or gear over the gunnels (hand to hand passes only)
No hard coolers set or on any cushions
• no orange or powdered snacks
• no red or orange (or any heavily dyed drinks) Gator-aide
• no smoking on the boat
• no "spray" (aerosol) sunscreen, you can spray on land if you need to.
• be careful with storage openings, the under edges/lips of the fiberglass is sharp and can cut cushions etc...

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk 2

willyt
07-27-2012, 02:53 PM
only one rule on my boat

bring hot girls

pmikler
07-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Idle or on plane...those are your two speeds

Keep in mind that I come from a long line of fisherman so I try my best to be polite and not throw rollers when I can. But when I am crusing down the St. Johns river and come around a corner and I get the fist or the arms waiving with hollering it always cracks me up. I always feel like stopping and saying "look- You do NOT want me to come of plane with this V-Drive....trust me your gheenoe cant handle it."

I also love that my wife does not power turn... I got a good one!

Brian B
07-27-2012, 03:18 PM
bare feet or high heels only!

and wash your nasty *** feet! i have seriously had to ask adults to get on the swim platform and wash their funky feet......

nauti-dreamer
07-27-2012, 03:27 PM
Hey Willy, If she was hot would still let her eat cheetos and drink red wine on the boat while wearing muddy work boots????

jkski
07-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Like many others, shoes must be off before boarding and to add one more...if you break it you bought it (this encompasses all things to include possible scratches, seat tears, etc....seems to work quite well).

ntidsl
07-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Pass on the right.

Stay at least 100 feet from docks.

We don't want to see your kids tube...so go away!!!

Oh did I mention no tubing before 10am!!!

I'm tempted to add no ballast before 10am but I'd get banned I'm afraid!

oxberger
07-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Not really etiquette but rules of the boat:
1. No tops of any kind (this includes the ladies).:D
2. My boat my rules, you don't like it you can stay at the dock or swim back to shore.
3. If we break down, no whining (see no 2.).

nauti-dreamer
07-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Two etiquette questions:

1. Two boats on a calm lake. You and one other. You are trying to get a newbie up on skiis from your home base (near pier). Other boat (we call him Jack@$$) is running tubers less that 100 from your bow. Did I mention there is an empty lake? Question: What would be your creative way to ask him for some space and respect?

2. You are driving and coaching said newbie to get up on skiis and offering tips between failed attempts. You have a friend on-board that is a know-it-all (maybe I should just say she's 'excitedly helpful') and continually interjects your coaching effort with her bad advice. Do you: A) offer her a drink and tell her to sit down and shut-up & drink or B) drop her off at the pier to fetch more beer (for the cooler that is still full)?

98Prostar205
07-27-2012, 04:02 PM
1 - Ski boots fill up with water. Empty said boots OUTSIDE of the boat!

2 - Gravity will close the storage compartments with very little assistance needed from you. No need to slam them shut!

3 - Yes, the glass in the walk thru windshield will break. No need to slam it shut to prove this fact!

DJ 50
07-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Two etiquette questions:

1. Two boats on a calm lake. You and one other. You are trying to get a newbie up on skiis from your home base (near pier). Other boat (we call him Jack@$$) is running tubers less that 100 from your bow. Did I mention there is an empty lake? Question: What would be your creative way to ask him for some space and respect?

2. You are driving and coaching said newbie to get up on skiis and offering tips between failed attempts. You have a friend on-board that is a know-it-all (maybe I should just say she's 'excitedly helpful') and continually interjects your coaching effort with her bad advice. Do you: A) offer her a drink and tell her to sit down and shut-up & drink or B) drop her off at the pier to fetch more beer (for the cooler that is still full)?

As far as number one goes, thats why I have the wetsounds controler that lets me use my tower speakers as a PA.

As far as question two goes that depends. Are you following OXBERGER's rule number 1 of no tops while in the boat? If so I would probably go with the get her drinking and get her to sit down and shut up. If she is already drunk and topples and she is hot, probably let her say whatever she wants

mzimme
07-27-2012, 04:21 PM
I make sure I pass peoples wakes extremely close. I prefer they have a rider out at the time, and I try to fling my boat between the rider and the transom, right underneath the riders main line. Besides that, I generally have a rule that I wont drive my boat unless I'm at least a 6 pack deep (of 16oz man cans), and I don't necessarily want anyone else in my boat that is of legal drinking age. Although, I have no problem with supplying the alcohol to said minors. The music will be at full blast from the time I hook the battery up (yes, this happens in my garage) up until the time I take the battery out to charge it. I also prefer to have everyone standing in my boating, sitting off the swim deck, or sitting on the rub rails while the boat is in motion. While in motion, speeds less than 36mph are strictly prohibited, and no wake zones do not exist. I'd prefer to tote a couple jet skis out, but they're usually broken so I don't bother. Also, if there are kids in the cove that we hang out in, I'll be sure to park next to that family, and play "I'm on a boat" over and over until the others leave. If I see skiers down, I make sure and make them crap their pants by blowing by them at 40mph only a few feet from their heads.

My biggest peeve, however, is that the law requires me to wear pants. Instead, I just paint an elephant over my junk and claim its "body paint" to the officer that just chased me down through the no wake zone.

If only every wally could be just like me... life would be good.

pmikler
07-27-2012, 04:31 PM
I make sure I pass peoples wakes extremely close. I prefer they have a rider out at the time, and I try to fling my boat between the rider and the transom, right underneath the riders main line. Besides that, I generally have a rule that I wont drive my boat unless I'm at least a 6 pack deep (of 16oz man cans), and I don't necessarily want anyone else in my boat that is of legal drinking age. Although, I have no problem with supplying the alcohol to said minors. The music will be at full blast from the time I hook the battery up (yes, this happens in my garage) up until the time I take the battery out to charge it. I also prefer to have everyone standing in my boating, sitting off the swim deck, or sitting on the rub rails while the boat is in motion. While in motion, speeds less than 36mph are strictly prohibited, and no wake zones do not exist. I'd prefer to tote a couple jet skis out, but they're usually broken so I don't bother. Also, if there are kids in the cove that we hang out in, I'll be sure to park next to that family, and play "I'm on a boat" over and over until the others leave. If I see skiers down, I make sure and make them crap their pants by blowing by them at 40mph only a few feet from their heads.

My biggest peeve, however, is that the law requires me to wear pants. Instead, I just paint an elephant over my junk and claim its "body paint" to the officer that just chased me down through the no wake zone.

If only every wally could be just like me... life would be good.

That was awesome. We should start a Post of the year thread. The winner gets all the pomp and circumstance that comes with the title..... i.e. bragging rights

willyt
07-27-2012, 04:37 PM
Hey Willy, If she was hot would still let her eat cheetos and drink red wine on the boat while wearing muddy work boots????

if she was only wearing muddy work boots?

probably

jmac197
07-27-2012, 04:41 PM
I can only respond to number two.....

I tell people that try to backseat coach that it is important for newbies to hear one voice and one instruction set so they don't get confused. Seems to work.

Two etiquette questions:

east tx skier
07-27-2012, 04:46 PM
I'll add to the list. We ski on a river that is not extremely wide by any stretch. If we are not pulling a rider, i.e., just cruising, and someone is approaching from the opposite direction pulling a rider on a ski, wakeboard, kneeboard (not a tube), if it is safe for us to do so, we will bring the boat back to neutral dead stop and either wait or bump it into no wake idle. We do this a sufficient distance away to allow our wake to clear so that their rider can have smooth water.

itch2ski
07-27-2012, 04:50 PM
How about no wakesurfing before 10am also.

Ironhorse
07-27-2012, 05:05 PM
Its amazing how so many people just dont get it. Last weekend I had to finally give my neighbor a friendly shot that he finally understood. We have one ski course on the lake and it is in the bay by the house. When we pulled up to his boat and he asked why I'm not skiing I had to tell him that I would but some Jacka$$ prefers to surf back and forth beside the course. He looked sheepish with his uncomfortable laugh and spent the remainder of the weekend surfing elsewhere. I wish his mastercraft came with a driver etiquette and instruction manual.

nauti-dreamer
07-27-2012, 05:15 PM
As far as number one goes, thats why I have the wetsounds controler that lets me use my tower speakers as a PA.

As far as question two goes that depends. Are you following OXBERGER's rule number 1 of no tops while in the boat? If so I would probably go with the get her drinking and get her to sit down and shut up. If she is already drunk and topples and she is hot, probably let her say whatever she wants

#1: LOL...Next purchase: Tower, speakers, and wetsounds controller!

#2: No. Maybe OXBERGER can teach me the ropes of rule 1! But I'm thinking the co-pilot (wife) would object? But I'll work on the subtitles using the beer handouts. Maybe I need to get a home-brew with a custom labels...."Mind the Captain or Walk the Plank".