PDA

View Full Version : Tuning Rudder -- Procedure Confirmation

PeteS
08-29-2005, 10:09 AM
There are quite a few great threads on this topic already, which I've reviewed, but just for confirmation before I take a file to my rudder, here is the plan:

My goal is to obtain a slight pull to the right for course driving.
This will be accomplished by filing the the right trailing edge of the rudder, when looking at the back of the boat.
The amount of material removed will be minimal.
For reference, I'll draw a line 0.10" from right side of the flat edge on the back of the rudder.
For reference, I'll draw a line 0.10" from the back of the rudder to the front (on the right side).
Filing this area will create roughly a 45 degree bevel on the right trailing edge.

Does the above sound correct? Did I leave anything out? Thanks for the input!

east tx skier
08-29-2005, 10:24 AM
I'll just iterate how slight the filing needs to be. And I don't know if 45 degrees might be too much. Just do a little and hit the water to test it. I can barely see the file job on my rudder (really have to look close). But it pulls pretty hard regardless.

You're correct that right trailing edge (facing the rear of the boat---filer's right) will create a rightward pull (left correction required at the helm).

PeteS
08-29-2005, 10:49 AM
I'll just iterate how slight the filing needs to be. And I don't know if 45 degrees might be too much. Just do a little and hit the water to test it. I can barely see the file job on my rudder (really have to look close). But it pulls pretty hard regardless.

You're correct that right trailing edge (facing the rear of the boat---filer's right) will create a rightward pull (left correction required at the helm).
And that's probably the way I want it to pull correct, Doug? Please forgive me for the basic drawing below (no time to do more), but this is what I invision for the specifics:

AirJunky
08-29-2005, 11:32 AM
I looked at my own rudder this weekend & it's filed at maybe a 30 degree angle on one side...... slightly less than 45.
Also looked at another & it had been filed on both sides for some reason. Neither of us did it ourselves & both boats were bought used. So either it was the first owner or the dealer or manufacturer.

rick s.
08-29-2005, 11:47 AM
if it pulls too much what side do you file?

east tx skier
08-29-2005, 12:26 PM
I'll try to find a picture of mine.

PeteS
08-29-2005, 12:30 PM
I'll try to find a picture of mine.
Thanks a million, Doug. To Airjunky and Rick: it was probably filed on both sides because someone at one point had filed the right to produce a pull, and then someone else filed the other side to counter.

If it's pulling too much after a modification, one of the only ways to compensate is to file the other side.

east tx skier
08-29-2005, 12:31 PM
It's at home. I'll try to remember to upload it. If it's not on there by tonight, please don't hesitate to pm me and remind me.

east tx skier
08-29-2005, 10:18 PM
Okay, here it is. Look closely and you can see where the corner was barely taken off.

jimmer2880
08-30-2005, 05:57 AM
Wow... that's even less than I thought. Thx for the pic.

erkoehler
08-30-2005, 06:51 AM
Remember, always do a VERY SMALL amount at a time. You don't want to end up filing the left side to have to readjust.

PeteS
08-30-2005, 08:50 AM
You weren't kidding about minimal. Thank you very much for taking the time to shoot the photo, and post it last night -- with everything you have going on, I can appreciate it even more.

I was assuming that I was to remove material from the entire length of the rudder, and the photo illustrates to me that my idea would have most likely resulted in an extreme pull. It looks like on yours there is only 2 inches or so where the rudder was filed?

east tx skier
08-30-2005, 10:42 AM
No, it's the entire length of the rudder. It's just hard to see. But minimal is right. If I let go of the wheel at speed, it'll spin.

jayderwin1
08-30-2005, 11:52 AM
that little bit will make it pull to the right? do you want it to pull or are you triing to get it to stay straight when you take your hands off the wheel?

east tx skier
08-30-2005, 12:30 PM
Who, me? No, I just posted that for Pete so he could see how a little goes a long way. I don't want to change a thing. I love the pull. And now that I'm used to it, I need the pull. I just make sure all drivers know not to let go while at speed.

rodltg2
08-30-2005, 01:16 PM
when i did it to my mb i used a grinder. took a little right off real quick. i only took off a small amount like eastie.

PeteS
08-30-2005, 02:53 PM
Who, me? No, I just posted that for Pete so he could see how a little goes a long way. I don't want to change a thing. I love the pull. And now that I'm used to it, I need the pull. I just make sure all drivers know not to let go while at speed.
For which I greatly appreciate, Doug. I most likely would have taken off too much if I hadn't seen the photo.

I have a sanding bit for my drill which I'm going to use, and as for the amount of material, I'm thinking about removing just enough to round the edge -- at least to start. Think that'll do it?

east tx skier
08-30-2005, 02:55 PM
Yeah, start with about 5 degrees and go from there. Just to iterate, the entire length of my rudder is ground even though it's hard to see in the picture, it is there.

crdickey
08-31-2005, 01:53 AM
that little bit will make it pull to the right? do you want it to pull or are you triing to get it to stay straight when you take your hands off the wheel?

When you are driving a slalom course, you want the boat to pull to one side and you turn slightly the opposite way. This set up makes the boat feel like it's on rails pulling any level skier. If you have the rudder neutral, so it goes straight when you let go, your boat will feel like driving a station wagon and then even a light skier will pull you from side to side. The rudder floats from side to side within the play of the helm, cable and rudder post.

When you induce rudder torque it will feel like driving a sports car!

The Tournement Team boats have a tuneable trim tab on the rudder, works great and it's easily increased or decreased.

Leroy
08-31-2005, 08:11 AM
Pretty cool stuff, gives you a feel for how accurate the hull (and everything in the water) needs to be made when filing off such a small amount as doug did made such a difference.

east tx skier
08-31-2005, 10:16 AM
When you are driving a slalom course, you want the boat to pull to one side and you turn slightly the opposite way. This set up makes the boat feel like it's on rails pulling any level skier. If you have the rudder neutral, so it goes straight when you let go, your boat will feel like driving a station wagon and then even a light skier will pull you from side to side. The rudder floats from side to side within the play of the helm, cable and rudder post.

When you induce rudder torque it will feel like driving a sports car!

The Tournement Team boats have a tuneable trim tab on the rudder, works great and it's easily increased or decreased.

That's it. My father-in-law's boat has a neutral rudder and the constant corrections drives me a bit crazy at first. When I first got my boat, I actually dropped by the dealer and asked if I needed it realigned. I wouldn't know what to do without it now.

jimmer2880
08-31-2005, 11:41 AM
That's it. My father-in-law's boat has a neutral rudder and the constant corrections drives me a bit crazy at first. When I first got my boat, I actually dropped by the dealer and asked if I needed it realigned. I wouldn't know what to do without it now.

I totally agree. One of the other boats I ski behind regularly has a neutral rudder. Drives me crazy.

BuoyChaser
07-01-2008, 08:01 AM
I believe on my '05 when I received the upgraded rudder in '06 it came already "TUNED" from the factory. I'll try to take some pictures tonight.

bigmac
07-01-2008, 08:09 AM
I believe on my '05 when I received the upgraded rudder in '06 it came already "TUNED" from the factory. I'll try to take some pictures tonight.
The 06 rudder upgrade I installed came absolutely dead neutral. I've found that the boat gets a little squirrely around 40 mpg, with the rudder hunting a little bit. My plan, when I get around to it, is to "load" it a little bit to give it a tiny bit of right pull by running a file down the right side a couple of times.

GuitsBoy
07-01-2008, 09:30 AM
My PS205 already pulls hard right. To the point where it almost takes two hands to make a left hand turn. Can I grind the LHS of the rudder to counter this?

BrianM
07-01-2008, 09:55 AM
My PS205 already pulls hard right. To the point where it almost takes two hands to make a left hand turn. Can I grind the LHS of the rudder to counter this?

Yep. Just file a bit off of the left trailing edge of the rudder.