PDA

View Full Version : Prestolite Distributor Advance Springs?

tockit
07-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Anyone know a source for counterweight advance springs for prestolite distributors?

Ski Dim doesn't carry them anymore, and I can't find any on the internet.

I just did the electronic ignition conversion, then checked my timing and I'm only getting 27 degrees total timing.

If I try to go above 27 degrees advance at 3000 RPM, my initial timing starts getting too high (up into the teens).

I wanted to try slightly lighter springs to get 5 more degrees advance, but can't find a source.

Thanks!

sbuell
07-27-2012, 01:03 PM
I rebuilt my distributor a couple years ago with parts (including these springs) from Crowley Marine. http://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/parts/54897.cfm

They show the springs as No Longer Available but click on the Other Options. They have phone numbers for some others that may have them.

My distributor has been great ever since the rebuild.

outragesteve
07-28-2012, 03:08 AM
I just converted my 1990 Prostar with a Mallory unit. My springs seem to be "weak". I will checked the initial/advance curve ina few days. I would guess, like yours, the total advance is on the short end. Thanks for the heads up and hopefully we kind find springs!

JimN
07-28-2012, 06:06 AM
Try NAPA or another major auto parts store. If you have a speed shop near you, try them, too.

ctjahn
07-28-2012, 08:07 AM
I am glad someone else has this issue...

I spent a ton of time looking for springs (separate thread). I ended up using a GM set from a local (non-chain) parts store.

Check out post 38 below. Hopefully it will help: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=48341&page=4&highlight=pertronix

cj

tockit
07-28-2012, 10:09 PM
I am glad someone else has this issue...

I spent a ton of time looking for springs (separate thread). I ended up using a GM set from a local (non-chain) parts store.

Check out post 38 below. Hopefully it will help: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=48341&page=4&highlight=pertronix

cjHow did you get the old advance springs off and the new ones on?

My Prestolite distributor has some kind of nylon rectangular-shaped retainer that sits on top of the counterweights. I've never seen a setup like this and can't figure out how it comes apart.

It looks like you have to take the retainer off to get the springs off?

It's pictured below.

Anyone know how this thing comes apart???

JimN
07-28-2012, 11:20 PM
How did you get the old advance springs off and the new ones on?

My Prestolite distributor has some kind of nylon rectangular-shaped retainer that sits on top of the counterweights. I've never seen a setup like this and can't figure out how it comes apart.

It's pictured below.

Rather than break something that's happy where it is, move the weights with your finger- if they move freely and provide some resistance (hopefully, equally), leave the springs and add some grease so the weights remain free to move. While it looks like the white plastic piece that sticks up over where the keyway is on the shaft, I don't think I would try to remove it.

If you haven't watched for timing advance to increase with RPM, do that. You should see about 30 of advance to the base timing if you go to WOT. Don't go WOT in neutral, though. An engine needs a load if you're going to do that.

tockit
07-29-2012, 06:17 AM
Rather than break something that's happy where it is, move the weights with your finger- if they move freely and provide some resistance (hopefully, equally), leave the springs and add some grease so the weights remain free to move. While it looks like the white plastic piece that sticks up over where the keyway is on the shaft, I don't think I would try to remove it.

If you haven't watched for timing advance to increase with RPM, do that. You should see about 30 of advance to the base timing if you go to WOT. Don't go WOT in neutral, though. An engine needs a load if you're going to do that.I've soaked those springs with WD-40.
I've played with the timing half a dozen times and the best I can get is 24 degrees total timing advance with the base at 12 degrees BTC.
If I go back to 10 base, I loose a couple degrees total and if I take my total timing up higher, my base starts getting up into the teens!

ctjahn
07-29-2012, 07:23 AM
How did you get the old advance springs off and the new ones on?

It's pictured below.

My plate was metal and I was able to raise it just enought to sneak the spring into position (mind you mine is a 1978). It was quite the ordeal but got it done without loosing a spring in the base of the distributor. Used two "picks" to do it (Pointed screwdrivers) and lots of patience.

Keep in mind when I first dug into this project (after my perton conversion) one spring was a complete rust blob, and the other spring was missing. I think mine is still not advancing enough but after a couple of outings it seems even better (I havent checked if the timing is advancing more or not but it runs great and has POWER!)

If you are not getting enough advance (Just guessing) sounds like you need a looser spring. Logically speaking if you set it to 6 - 10 to start and it doesnt reach enough at the top end, sounds like the tension is too high now allowing advance at the higher R's).

I see one of your springs is fairly heavy, didnt see the other one. I am using a heavy spring and a light spring. (just guessed to begin with and someone else on the board confirmed because they mentioned they had one light, one heavy....

Best of luck!
cj

JimN
07-29-2012, 08:26 AM
I've soaked those springs with WD-40.
I've played with the timing half a dozen times and the best I can get is 24 degrees total timing advance with the base at 12 degrees BTC.
If I go back to 10 base, I loose a couple degrees total and if I take my total timing up higher, my base starts getting up into the teens!

What about the pivots for the weights- did you lube those, too? You might try e-mailing these photos to Prestolite to see if they have any answers.

tockit
07-29-2012, 07:01 PM
What about the pivots for the weights- did you lube those, too? You might try e-mailing these photos to Prestolite to see if they have any answers.
Yeah, I lubed the pivots too. Still no joy!

tockit
07-29-2012, 07:03 PM
If you are not getting enough advance (Just guessing) sounds like you need a looser spring. Logically speaking if you set it to 6 - 10 to start and it doesnt reach enough at the top end, sounds like the tension is too high now allowing advance at the higher R's).

I see one of your springs is fairly heavy, didnt see the other one. I am using a heavy spring and a light spring. (just guessed to begin with and someone else on the board confirmed because they mentioned they had one light, one heavy....

Best of luck!
cjCJ,
Thanks what is seems like to me too, which is odd, because when a spring gets worn out, you would think it would get looser, not tighter?