PDA

View Full Version : Gauge help. 1978 s&s - newbie

Mike Ingram
07-27-2012, 12:21 AM
Hey
Can anyone tell me which gauges we're original on my 1978 s and s. I'm sure some have been replaced. Also we're they lighted originally. Also I have an old cigarette light to the right of the gauge cluster with a light on it. Was this an option

Was there any provision back then for depth or just know what your doing.

Thanks. This site is the best thing for a guy 3 day old mastercraft.

Mike

SilviaMan
07-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Pictures of what your looking at will help.
my 76 is at home, but from what I can remember you have: 2 speedo's, 1 tach, oil pressure, coolant temp, ammeter, fuel level. Yes they were lighted when the lights are on.
I don't believe that there was a factory depth finder. I have a fish finder located to the left of my feet on the center panel of the floor.
My cigarette lighter socket is to the left of the steering wheel in between the glove box and steering wheel.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-27-2012, 11:24 AM
Two Airguide speedometers, tach, oil pressure, engine temp, ammeter, hour meter gauges. Blower, bilge pump, running lights and horn, and ignition switch on my '77. Gauges are illuminated when key is on...not hooked into running lights.

ctjahn
07-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Peter,

Are your speedo's restored? My needles are rusty...

cj

SilviaMan
07-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Two Airguide speedometers, tach, oil pressure, engine temp, ammeter, hour meter gauges. Blower, bilge pump, running lights and horn, and ignition switch on my '77. Gauges are illuminated when key is on...not hooked into running lights.

Wow, never really compared a 76 to 77... big difference in dashboard.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Wow, never really compared a 76 to 77... big difference in dashboard.

1977 was the new 19 foot hull and there were a number of other changes including the built in dash and tracking fins.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Peter,

Are your speedo's restored? My needles are rusty...

cj

I did the work myself. Pretty easy to make them look a lot better. I have since replaced the o-rings around the calibration knob.

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=32306

ctjahn
07-27-2012, 12:38 PM
I dont think I have that much patience!