PDA

View Full Version : Still running hot

bfinley
08-29-2005, 08:31 AM
I've had problems with my motor (1992 285 HP HO) running hot - 180-210 degrees. I've replaced the impeller, the water pump, the thermostat, and the temp sensor - and I'm still having the same problems. I'm quite sure it's really hot and not a guage/electrical issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions. It almost seems as if the theremostat isn't doing it's job, or if somehow the cool water isn't making it's way through the engine.

Thanks

MarkP
08-29-2005, 09:18 AM
Do you have water coming out the exhaust??

bfinley
08-29-2005, 09:20 AM
I believe so, how would I test that. I suppose I could run it on the trailer with the hose hooked up - right?

Leroy
08-29-2005, 09:30 AM
That would work, you can drop the intake hose in a 5 gallon bucket to see how much water it takes in also. My experience is around 20-30 seconds to suck up 5 gal of water at idle.

MarkP
08-29-2005, 09:32 AM
That should work. Maybe something is blocked up. I would look for little or no water coming out of the exhaust and or a lot less coming out of one side. Good luck..

east tx skier
08-29-2005, 10:05 AM
Have you checked the screen on the transmission cooler?

bfinley
08-29-2005, 10:07 AM
Have you checked the screen on the transmission cooler?

Yep, all clear

Kevin 89MC
08-29-2005, 10:09 AM
Another easy test is to take out the thermostat and run it for 10-15 minutes to see if it still runs hot. When my stat went bad this spring, I noticed it because the temp wouldn't go above about 130. Stat was shot, basically running without a stat (it was stuck open). Put in a new one, settled in at 160. This may help determine if you've got a blockage somewhere.
Good luck,
Kevin

bfinley
08-29-2005, 10:14 PM
Tonight I hooked the boat up to the garden hose in my driveway. Water is coming out of the exhaust and I removed the engine drains and it flowed out of them as well. However, I noticed that when I turned the engine off, I had water leaking out of one of the hoses on my transmission cooler - I had a loose hose clamp.

Could this loose hose clamp be enough to cause my overheating problems??

MarkP
08-29-2005, 10:36 PM
Tonight I hooked the boat up to the garden hose in my driveway. Water is coming out of the exhaust and I removed the engine drains and it flowed out of them as well. However, I noticed that when I turned the engine off, I had water leaking out of one of the hoses on my transmission cooler - I had a loose hose clamp.

Could this loose hose clamp be enough to cause my overheating problems??
Lets hope so.. Maybe you had been sucking air with water.. Iíll cross my fingers

bfinley
09-04-2005, 09:49 PM
Well, all my hose clamps are tight. I also did a test that Ski-Dim recommended. The water pump should fill up a 5 gallon bucket in 15 seconds when running at 3000 RPM. Mine worked perfectly so I'm sure it's not a pump issue or clogging. But I'm still overheating- typically up to about 200 degrees. If I take the thermostat out (the new one), it runs at about 105 degrees. I don't know if this means anything, but I thought it might help.

Does anyone have any ideas??

Leroy
09-04-2005, 11:10 PM
SWAG, thermostat in the wrong way?

bfinley
09-05-2005, 12:43 AM
That was my first thought too, but I'm quite sure it's right. I put it in like this:

Kevin 89MC
09-07-2005, 12:50 PM
I think your install is right, but not 100% sure. Try it the other way! (somewhat kidding!) You may want to just buy another new t-stat. There are lots of folks on some other message boards I'm on that have had troubles with a brand-new stats, both OE and aftermarket. They're apparently not the most quality-controlled part built!
Good luck again,
Kevin