PDA

View Full Version : Engine cuts to nuetral Alarm goes off

mastercraftx9
07-26-2012, 05:09 PM
I have a 05 Mastercraft X-9 and while pulling someone at surf speeds (10 mph) or wakeboarding speeds (22-24mph) with the boat weighted with fat sacs the boat will randomly cut out to neutral and the rpms will go to an idle speed. Then about 5 seconds after that it will beep and flash check engine. I then move the throttle back to nuetral and shut it off and turn it back on and it seems to clear the error for the time being. Has anyone else had this type of issue? I have the two stock ballast bags full, and I put a fat sac next to the engine compartment on each side. Is it possible the engine isn't getting enough air? Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

ricford
07-26-2012, 06:01 PM
Check for fault codes. If the check engine light came on, there will be a code stored.

bobx1
07-26-2012, 06:32 PM
Is it going into 'limp' mode?

petermegan
07-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Isn't the transmission cable controlled? Is the gear lever still showing it is in gear, but you have no drive?

willyt
07-27-2012, 09:52 AM
we need WAYYYY more information to diagnosis this problem:
whats your temp?
whats your volts?
whats your oil pressure?
any vibration?
any trouble starting it recently?
engine running smoothly?
whats your fuel pressure?

my initial thought is it sounds like a TPS sensor if its cutting down to idle speed. limp mode is above idle, and TPS are designed to fail into the idle mode.

93Prostar190
07-29-2012, 08:24 AM
Speed control on when this happens? If so, does it happen when speed control is not in use?

mastercraftx9
07-30-2012, 04:02 PM
It does NOT happen when speed control is not activated.

Gear lever is still engaged in forward and there is no forward movement at all.

I'm assuming limp mode means you can go slow back to shore. I can't go in forward or reverse at all

Temp is at 160 degrees F. Volts are 13-14. (trying to visualize the gauge, and I think oil is between 40-60.) no troubles starting it, no vibrations, not sure what my fuel pressure was.

is there a way to check fault codes and have them show in the digital display?

NatesGr8
07-30-2012, 04:30 PM
Mine just did the same thing last week. It too only happens when the speed control is on and only when in rpm mode. Never had the problem in speed mode yet. My solution, use speed mode.

Jerseydave
07-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Just a guess, but sounds like your oil pressure is low with the extra rear ballast and/or boat lean for surfing. Remember your direct drive engine is already at an upward angle.....add ballast to the rear and the boat rides bow-up causing the engine to ride nose-high as well. Better keep an eye on that oil level and pressure. Your oil pickup screen may be sucking in air causing a low oil pressure situation, therefore a shutdown to idle.

shunra
07-30-2012, 07:14 PM
I have a 05 Mastercraft X-9 and while pulling someone at surf speeds (10 mph) or wakeboarding speeds (22-24mph) with the boat weighted with fat sacs the boat will randomly cut out to neutral and the rpms will go to an idle speed. Then about 5 seconds after that it will beep and flash check engine. I then move the throttle back to nuetral and shut it off and turn it back on and it seems to clear the error for the time being. Has anyone else had this type of issue? I have the two stock ballast bags full, and I put a fat sac next to the engine compartment on each side. Is it possible the engine isn't getting enough air? Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have been having a similar problem and I have traced it to a fault with the "throttle by wire" system. Looks like either a bad connection or a bad sensor on the throttle end of the sytem.

CantRepeat
07-31-2012, 08:49 AM
Get a MEFI code reader.

http://www.michiganmotorz.com/codema...FQgGnQodGFwA1Q (http://www.michiganmotorz.com/codemate-tester-mefi-code-reader-p-2460.html?gclid=CMjl6N7qw7ECFQgGnQodGFwA1Q)

Connect it to your Data Link Connector (DLC) and get the code.

The first thing I would suggest, after you check your engine oil level, is find the main ground (negative/black) from the battery to your block and clean that connection. Shunra, I would suggest you check your battery cable at the block.