PDA

View Full Version : Big vibrations (Stump problems?)

dfwprostar
08-28-2005, 11:13 PM
Riding at Lake Ray Hubbard outside of Dallas and heard a big THUMP (sounded like I could have hit a stump). Now, any driving over 25 mph and the boat vibrates so much it feels like it is going to shake apart. Took a look at the prop and it looks all right. What problems do you think I should be looking forward to fixing?

east tx skier
08-28-2005, 11:49 PM
Look at your shaft, aft of the strut. Look at your strut. Look at your skegs. All could be bent. The alignment could be off as well. Don't continue to drive it if it's vibrating. Get it to a good dealer quick.

Are you in Lufkin, or were you just boating there? If you're coming through Tyler on your way back to Dallas, I can recommend a great dealer for a bottom job (they'll take a while though).

Welcome. And sorry to hear you hit something. I know what a bad feeling it is.

ProStarMike
08-28-2005, 11:50 PM
Riding at Lake Ray Hubbard outside of Dallas and heard a big THUMP (sounded like I could have hit a stump). Now, any driving over 25 mph and the boat vibrates so much it feels like it is going to shake apart. Took a look at the prop and it looks all right. What problems do you think I should be looking forward to fixing?

I hit something at Lavon one time (when I used to live in Dallas), and the prop looked OK, but I bent one of the blades slightly and threw off the balance in a bad way. I used a prop shop in Dallas (but I forget their name off the top of my head...it was over in Carrollton) who fixed it, and rebalanced it. Good as new after that.

If you have a spare prop, try that. If the vibration is still there, the propshaft's the next thing to check.

You might want to use a feeler gauge on the coupling between the prop shaft and the transmission to make sure it's not knocked out of alignment too.

Good luck!

-- Mike

east tx skier
08-29-2005, 12:12 AM
This is what I did to my father in law's prostar last summer. The only thing worse than doing it was that it wasn't to my boat. Note the gelcoat damage from the blade strike.

erkoehler
08-29-2005, 01:35 AM
This is what I did to my father in law's prostar last summer. The only thing worse than doing it was that it wasn't to my boat. Note the gelcoat damage from the blade strike.

OUCH :eek: Atleast you had another boat and could get back on the water, but I hear ya about breaking something that isn't yours.

east tx skier
08-29-2005, 11:18 AM
Not that weekend. My boat was in the garage and it was our last day that weekend. Ughh, what a knot in the old guliver that was!