PDA

View Full Version : MC Prostar 195, need to learn more, help please

mwcga
07-25-2012, 10:49 PM
As some of you know, I'm in the market to purchase a used MC 205. I was contacted by a seller with a 1999 MC Prostar 195 open bow this eve. I am trying to learn more about the boat but am having a hard time finding information. Can anyone help me with some basic information about the boat, advice if this is a good boat for a small family, and pricing help for what he says is a 9-9.5 out of 10 boat with 230 hours? Boat and trailer come as a package. I should have some pics tomorrow to share. Thanks for your help!

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-25-2012, 11:02 PM
History lesson

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=14622&highlight=Prostar+history

mwcga
07-26-2012, 08:33 AM
Thank you for the information.

east tx skier
07-26-2012, 11:30 AM
For skiing, I think it would probably be a better boat than the 205. Not as much room, but a better hull based on the 1995--1997 190. It will have a bit more weight in the bow than a 190. So the wake might be a bit firmer. But it'll be close.

If you wakeboard as much as you ski or want more room, the 2nd generation 205 you were looking for may be a better choice. But if you are a slalom nut that wants an open bow, the 195 would be a solid choice.

PS195
07-26-2012, 01:20 PM
we have a 2000 195, purchased 5 years ago, can't say enough good things about the boat
my boys ski and barefoot and the rest of us all mostly ski, occasionally pull a couple tubes for guests, I would not hesitate for a second buying the boat if its in good shape and the right price
very reliable, super easy to do all your own work (great help here on the forum if you get stuck)
good luck

Thrall
07-26-2012, 01:56 PM
It's an open bow version of the 95-97 Prostar 190.
I had a 96 PS 190 that was as solid a boat as you could get, IMO.
That's super low hrs and f it's well maintained, it wil serve you well for a looong time.
Only seen pics, but the open bow looks suitable for a couple kids, ot much room for adults up there.

Hammer
07-26-2012, 03:07 PM
I have a 2001 PS195 and love it. Owned it for 10 and a half years and have never regretted it. I wanted a slalom boat with a bit more room in it. The 195 fit the bill perfect. The 197 where not out yet. As Thrall said the front is small but adults do fit up there. Not a lounge area for sure but not bad. Plenty of speed for footing as mine will top out with the five of use and all the gear and cooler at about 45-46. Pulls great through the course and easy to drive and tracks well for my wife. Does have a bit of a "Bump" at 22 off as ETS said. At least compared to the 2012 N word 200 I skied behind the day before.

mwcga
07-27-2012, 08:02 AM
Wow, thanks for all of the feedback. Well, I may have found my next boat. The owner says the boat is in great shape and these pics seem to confirm it. He waxes the boat monthly and even waxes the trailer a few times a year. Through out conversations he seems sincere and I believe the boat is as nice as he says. The question, what is the right price for the boat? I can get it for $16k. The only issue is the boat is around 12 hours away. Is the price right for the boat and the 24 hour roundtrip to pull it back? Any comparable purchases made you can share on condition, age, hours, and price?

mwcga
07-27-2012, 08:07 AM
pics of the boat

mwcga
07-27-2012, 08:08 AM
oh, don't worry about the date on the pics, he forgot to rest it on the camera. the pics are recent.

mzimme
07-27-2012, 08:16 AM
That boat is an incredibly clean boat. Wow.

BrianM
07-27-2012, 08:22 AM
I think $16k is a good price for a super clean 230 hours. Go get it!

ps205
07-27-2012, 08:34 AM
Hi, I owed a 2001 PS195 and really loved the boat. It was blue and white. My only issue was room. Once my kids started to bring friends, it was time to move on to our current PS209.

Anyway, where is the boat located? Maybe someone could verify the condition before you drive 12 hours?

03geetee
07-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Boat looks cherry go get it.

JTR

JohnE
07-27-2012, 09:06 AM
I'd pay that for that boat.

mwcga
07-27-2012, 09:44 AM
Hi, I owed a 2001 PS195 and really loved the boat. It was blue and white. My only issue was room. Once my kids started to bring friends, it was time to move on to our current PS209.

Anyway, where is the boat located? Maybe someone could verify the condition before you drive 12 hours?
Thanks for your reply. I too am concerned about the size, but our family is only 3 and even with a friend, 4 should fit pretty well. If we outgrow the boat in a few years, we should be able to resell the boat at a minimal loss.

I have a co-worker that lives in the area, I'm going to hit him up and ask him to go look at it. If that doesn’t work, may consider your idea about asking a forum friend to help out.

vrsc
07-27-2012, 09:49 AM
sweet looking boat. Driving 12 hours isn't much for a boat. Maybe he can meet you halfway

Datdude
07-31-2012, 10:53 AM
FYI.....that is a 1999 Sportstar Open Bow with Prostar 195 decals on it. The Sportstar was an entry-level boat with no frills. I have owned three Sportstars and they are still nice but the interior is a little on the cheap side. I still think that it is worth $16,000 however

captain planet
07-31-2012, 11:11 AM
Wow, that boat is really clean. Very nice. If there is anything to watch on that boat, it will be the interior. In 1999 the vinyl went south throughout the boating industry due to EPA regs. So, check the seams of the interior. If they are good which they do in the pictures, be easy on it to make it last and get yourself some 303 to treat them.

scott023
07-31-2012, 11:19 AM
That boat looks nearly brand new. Wow.

Thrall
07-31-2012, 11:23 AM
Buy it.
If you need to sell it a few years down the road, you'll still get good money for that boat for sure, especially being the open bow.
Had my 190 for 6 years. Put about 350hrs on it and a ND tower (everything else was just minor maint, no big upgrades or repairs). Sold it for $500 less than I bought it for. COnsidering the cost ofthe tower, $1200, used, it cost me about $2k for 6 years of use. Not bad.

mwcga
07-31-2012, 08:06 PM
FYI.....that is a 1999 Sportstar Open Bow with Prostar 195 decals on it. The Sportstar was an entry-level boat with no frills. I have owned three Sportstars and they are still nice but the interior is a little on the cheap side. I still think that it is worth $16,000 however
I do not believe the boat has had new decals put on it. How can one tell the model on the boat? Is there a serial number or can you tell from the HID#?
Btw, I bought the boat, it will be delivered this Sat.

BrianM
08-01-2012, 08:40 AM
The gel pattern and the interior is the clue. After Datdude pointed it out I think he is right. The Sportstars had a simple two color gel and much more basic looking vinyl like this boat. The 195 had either a 3 colr gel with a "swoosh" at the back or 3 color with the main color all the way down to just about waterline. The Prostars interior looked more plush with "tucked" look. Either way you got a hell of a boat for the money.

mwcga
08-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the feedback, a little disappointed it's not a Prostar, but happy to have such a nice boat for my first Mastercraft.

ttu
08-01-2012, 04:04 PM
so did you buy it?

mwcga
08-01-2012, 04:25 PM
bought it for $15.5
will deliver this saturday
can't wait to get back on the water!

Thrall
08-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the feedback, a little disappointed it's not a Prostar, but happy to have such a nice boat for my first Mastercraft.

I wouldn't be.........at all.
That's a helluva nice boat and the only difference from the Prostar is the vinyl, but when you're buying a 12year old boat who cares which style of seats it has if they look that good!

I actually like the Sportstar gel pattern a little better.
Plus it's hard to be picky about colors if you're looking for a mint condition uhhh older boat and you got a sweet color combo. Coulda been one of those ones with purple and teal stripes! (No offense to anyone with a purple boat)

Jim@BAWS
08-01-2012, 09:26 PM

It is every bit of a prostar..Same hull as the PROSTAR designator from 1995-1997

look at current prostar 190 is the same hull from rubrail down as a prostar 197

Even if you owned a X7...same hull 100% as a the Prostar

You own a prostar hull

Look at the changes the prostar 205 went through

205, Xstar 205V X2 X1...all the same hull!!!

You own a prostar hull!!!!

Jim@BAWS

VTJC
08-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Look like a great boat. Enjoy it. I had a 99 CB SportStar that was a great boat.

tommyadrian5
08-01-2012, 09:49 PM
I have that same boat, except mine says sportstar on it.

I also paid $17,000 for mine...10 years ago!

BrianM
08-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Don't be disappointed. As said the hull and driveterrain is same as the Prostar only difference being some cosmetics. You got a very nice example at a great price. Enjoy it

mwcga
08-02-2012, 07:52 AM
To all my new TT friends, thank you for making me feel better about the purchase, I was a little nervous about the issue with the decals. Knowing the boat is a good choice no matter if it's a Prostar or Sportstar makes me feel much better. I am going to stop worrying about the model and start thinking about getting it in the water this weekend.

BrianM
08-02-2012, 08:14 AM
To all my new TT friends, thank you for making me feel better about the purchase, I was a little nervous about the issue with the decals. Knowing the boat is a good choice no matter if it's a Prostar or Sportstar makes me feel much better. I am going to stop worrying about the model and start thinking about getting it in the water this weekend.

:toast: That's the spirit!

Hammer
08-02-2012, 08:54 AM

:woohoo: Thats the way.

mwcga
08-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Thought I would let you know Mastercraft confirmed the model of the boat. Still not an issue, I will really love the boat. Thought some would be interested in a follow up on datdude comments and let him know he was correct. Thanks to all.

Can anyone tell me what this means?
CHEVY TBI 1:1 MX PLUS
I get the Chevy part, the rest is greek to me.
Is this an indmar engine?
See bleow for the email from Mastercraft

Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2012 6:04 PM
To: Team MasterCraft Leads
Subject: RE: Contact Us to website
The serial number tells me the following:
MODEL: SPORTSTAR 19 OPEN BOW
ENGINE: CHEVY TBI 1:1 MX PLUS
BOAT WAS BUILT IN DECEMBER OF 1998 FOR THE 1999 MODEL YEAR

Hammer
08-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Thought I would let you know Mastercraft confirmed the model of the boat. Still not an issue, I will really love the boat. Thought some would be interested in a follow up on datdude comments and let him know he was correct. Thanks to all.

Can anyone tell me what this means?
CHEVY TBI 1:1 MX PLUS
I get the Chevy part, the rest is greek to me.
Is this an indmar engine?
See bleow for the email from Mastercraft

Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2012 6:04 PM
To: Team MasterCraft Leads
Subject: RE: Contact Us to website
The serial number tells me the following:
MODEL: SPORTSTAR 19 OPEN BOW
ENGINE: CHEVY TBI 1:1 MX PLUS
BOAT WAS BUILT IN DECEMBER OF 1998 FOR THE 1999 MODEL YEAR

Chevy 350 with throttle body injection. 1 to 1 trans. Indmar.

tommyadrian5
08-03-2012, 08:44 AM
Chevy 350 with throttle body injection. 1 to 1 trans. Indmar.

Indmar marinization. I have the same engine. Feel free to ask me any questions about it. Its VERY easy to work on...

mwcga
08-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Indmar marinization. I have the same engine. Feel free to ask me any questions about it. Its VERY easy to work on...
Thank you. As I get into working on the boat, I may take you up on your offer.

Datdude
08-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Congrats on the new boat! It seems like you got a beautiful boat at a great price! :cool:

east tx skier
08-10-2012, 07:12 PM

Zero reason to be disappointed. Helluva boat. Wish MC still offered a stripped down, bare bones ski boat in a lower price range like they did between 1998 and 2004.

A little more about your engine and transmission. Your Chevy TBI has Vortec heads and, on paper, put out 310 hp. Your transmission gear ratio is 1:1. That means the engine turns over one rotation for every rotation of the transmission, shaft, and prop. This is as opposed to the optional powerslot transmission of that era that was gear reduced to 1.52:1. The 350 TBI engine has a nice bit of midrange torque and will do great with that light, lower drag hull to yank pretty much anything out of the water.

Rocketman
08-10-2012, 11:41 PM
I have that exact same boat in the same colors. I bought it brand new in 1999 and love it. It is great for skiing and I put on a New Dimension tower and with a couple of sacs it makes a nice wake for boarding. We are on a small lake so the size is fine for us. You will love this boat.

mwcga
08-15-2012, 04:33 PM
Well, we have had the boat out on the lake three time since the purchase. Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the condition of the boat, considering the age. From 10 feet it looks almost new. I have noticed several issues with the boat that I will start working on. 1) one of the speedometers doesn’t work 2) several gouges in the red gelcoat 3) fuel tank gauge doesn’t work 4) both blower hoses are torn at the exit point at the back of the boat 5) one of the bolts that holds the back hatch bracket has broken and the fitting is lose 6) engine has a small tick in the front end 7) trailer surge brakes are disconnected. Once again, not bad for a boat of it’s age. I have a few projects to work on, I will be posting in other sections of the forum asking for advice as I work through them. Going out to the boat now to see if I can identify the source of the tick. Noticed the belt was a little lose, will tighten it to see if that’s an easy fix. Thanks again for all of your advice.

BrianM
08-15-2012, 05:10 PM
Speedometer is most likely a plugged pitot. Should be an easy fix with a paper clip. Fuel gauge is a very common issue due to age. Most likely culprit is the float in the tank.

nomo
08-15-2012, 08:57 PM
I had a 2001 195 for 7 years. Really loved it. Bought it new before the 197 was available in 2002. Only two complaints, the bump at 22 off, and the lack of the cooler in the floor. They had to push the dash and seat back a little for the open bow to fit the older 190 hull, so the cooler was given up. Mine had the same tick, I think it was in the raw water pump. I also had to replace the fuel tank sender. In 2001 it was not the float type, just a pressure tube. If you can find a zero flex flyer tower, it becomes the same as the X5. Looks nice. Enjoy!:)