PDA

View Full Version : help with 180s

heysteve!
08-28-2005, 07:47 PM
does any one have any advice to start doing 180s or anything bc i just starting wakeboarding this year. and i wanna land one b4 the season is over. well thanks

mcprostar197
08-28-2005, 08:12 PM
Are you trying them from your toeside or from your heelside?

Hold the rope at your front hip, and when you hit the wake, pop a little and rotate around the handle so that it is at your new front hip. It's a fairly easy trick, but its getting back from switch to your normal stance thats the hard part. The spinning part is not much harder than jumping off the groujnd and doing a 180. Good luck on sticking it.

SKI*MC
08-28-2005, 08:31 PM
i first learned when the boat was turning, so there was a curl in the wake, so i landing towards the inside, this gave the board a lot of give so the fins wouldnt grab as much, i cam in toeside, spun the 180, and rode away first try

MasterCrafting
08-28-2005, 08:53 PM
heysteve...just try it...haha...doooo it...

DanC
08-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Get up in a fakey position (easiest way to get fakey). Pull outside the wake and advance on the boat a little (pull the handle into your lead hip). Ollie, rotate 180 and pull the handle to your other hip. Sometimes letting go with your back hand on the landing helps people. Once you can do this you can move to wake 180s. :toast:

BriEOD
08-29-2005, 02:48 PM
Dan he stole your avatar!! :cool:

Scot
08-29-2005, 02:52 PM
does any one have any advice to start doing 180s or anything bc i just starting wakeboarding this year. and i wanna land one b4 the season is over. well thanks

You might want to find the instructional video called "the Book" building the fundamentals.

tones03
08-29-2005, 03:13 PM
Try spinning when you are almost about to land, if you start out spinning when you first hit the wake you will not get enough air/speed to go all the way around and than a nice laugh is in store for the people in the boat. This is what I have learned through my experience, I am not that good though.

Alteczen
08-29-2005, 03:20 PM
Slow the boat down to about 15 mph and practice surface 180's first. Slowing the boat down will allow your fins to release easier and it takes the pain away should you catch an edge. Just get up riding normal and pull the handle with both hands to your other hip. It will help to let go with your back hand once you are switch to keep the boat from pulling your hips forward.

Once you are comfortable with these learn to do and ollie 180 out in the flats. Same concept as the surface 180 except you need to ollie before you pull the handle to your back hip.

From there learn the a one wake 180 from the middle of the wake out. At this point you should have them down enough to try them wake to wake.

DanC
08-29-2005, 03:38 PM
Dan he stole your avatar!! :cool:

Can I sue him? :cool:

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?

I guess I will need to search the avatar web sites for a new identity. Feel free to send me any you might think are appropriate for me. I was thinking of this one.

DanC
08-29-2005, 03:44 PM
Alt is right on with each step and each detail! :worthy:

1. Surface 180 2. Ollie 180 3. Wake 180 (going from in to outside the wake)

I forgot about slowing the boat down, that is important for the first one.

Also you need to get comfortable riding fakie/switch. The easiest way to do that is to get up fakie and ride that way for awhile. It doesn't do you any good to throw a good 180 and not be able to ride fakie.

Leroy
09-12-2005, 01:43 PM
I have no problem with surface 180, but when I try ollie, feels like I'm glued to the water! Why? Must be some technique, but have read and cannot get it.

I am clearing the wake consistently now and can ride goofy comfortable, but not jumping goofy yet.

West TN Wake
09-13-2005, 10:33 PM

Hey man i learned my 180's this season too. I learned toeside first, but its better if u turn a heelside 180. Don't spin off the wake. Start your rotation at ur peak height. This gives you more stability and control and will keep you on axis. Give it a try won't hurt anything and let me kno how it turns out.