PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Back Up Light

MattsCraft
07-25-2012, 04:31 PM
??? '09 Trailer with LED lights. One of my back up lights keeps falling out of the rubber surround. Last year, the entire rubber piece was falling out, put a little clear silicone caulk behind and around it and seemed to solve the issue. Now the rubber stays in place and the light falls out of the surround.

The wire connection keeps it from flying off on the highway, but is scuffing the trailer, plus a pain in the rear.

Any ideas on glueing, back in place so it won't come out??? More Silicone??? Road trip in one week.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-25-2012, 04:34 PM
Sounds like either the trailer light opening is too large or the rubber grommet is too small. I would start measuring and comparing to the good side.

fstaslp
07-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Mine are doing that also once I changed to LED Lights. I am going to Silicone them in on both parts.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Mine are doing that also once I changed to LED Lights. I am going to Silicone them in on both parts.

Any chance the overall size of the LED lights is slightly smaller than the original incandescent lights?

kskonn
07-25-2012, 05:03 PM
You could always go grab some gorrila glue at home depot. I don't know that you need to go all the way around the light but hit in in a few spots and that should hold pretty well.

fstaslp
07-25-2012, 05:08 PM
I used a caliper on them and they are a hair smaller. "universal" isn't exactly the case.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-25-2012, 05:10 PM
I used a caliper on them and they are a hair smaller. "universal" isn't exactly the case.

That figures. Clear silicone is probably the answer.

gts-20
07-25-2012, 05:15 PM
Both the tail lights and reverse lights on my trailer had to be silconed in to keep them from popping out when pulling it out of the water.

bjames
07-25-2012, 05:22 PM
Same here. my 2011 X25 left brake light would always pop out. Had it siliconed in place.

fstaslp
07-25-2012, 05:32 PM
I can say that on my DS fender mounted tail, the hole that they cut for the light is awful. More rectangular than oval. I was amazed the grommet covered it up.

On another note, I discovered why my lights and brakes were acting funny. At some point the left tail and stop wires were wire capped together.

MattsCraft
07-25-2012, 06:00 PM
They are original from the factory in '09, so if the size is wrong... This is what MC is using, I have made no modifications. Strange, only the back light on the Starboard side has been the problem, sounds like silicone is the answer! Easy Peezy...

Thanks Guys:D

ttu
07-25-2012, 06:01 PM
mine also does it on the same side only!:rolleyes: