PDA

View Full Version : What Kind Of Wax Do You Use ?

ZIPPY98
08-28-2005, 07:33 PM
Was Curious On What Kinds Of Wax You Guys Use I Have Been Using Meguiars Gold Class After A Coat Of 3m Imperial Hand Glaze I Think That It Works Very Well It Makes End Of Day Clean Up Very Easy Thank You And Always Happy And Safe Skiing And Boating

Workin' 4 Toys
08-28-2005, 08:10 PM
Meguiar's FLAGSHIP Premium Marine wax. About every other trip out. $20.00 16oz.

redmike
08-28-2005, 09:58 PM
what ^ said, works great as long as there is no oxidation

BuoyChaser
10-20-2005, 02:19 PM
what would you do on a BRAND NEW 2005???

what exact stuff do you buy to apply the wax, a Meguiar's hand applicator...

do you use the Meguiar's spray wax, hard wax or liquid wax...

just can't imagine putting the buffer/polisher to her this early in the game and getting SWIRL marks!!!

east tx skier
10-20-2005, 03:03 PM
I always hear Meguiar's. Truth be told, I hand wax and buff using RainX Marine wax. I get a good shine out of it. When I run out, I'll pony up the $$ for Meguiar's.

BuoyChaser
10-20-2005, 03:15 PM
there are so many different posts with so many different recommendations on here...going to do the HANDWAX thing for now...

probably something that should be consolidated down to the faq section...

vogelm1
10-20-2005, 03:32 PM
Mequiar's Flagship ~ once per month. Then Babe's Boat Bright in between and after every outing. The boat stays smooooth and slippery all the time. I use a hand applicator that typically comes with wax - the little round yellow sponges.

BuoyChaser
10-20-2005, 04:12 PM
where do you find the "Babe's Boat Bright", besides online at http://www.babesboats.com/

i'm leary of using anything with a "cleaner" and not a wax on the new hull surface!!!how's this stuff compare to Meguiar's Quick Spray Wax (offer same UV protection???)

googled it and came up with this review: http://waterski.about.com/od/boataccessoriesequipment/gr/boat_bright.htm?once=true&

BABE'S Boat Bright - Spray Wax Cleaner
BABE'S Boat Bright is specifically designed to clean and protect your boat's surface. Use BABE'S Boat Bright every time you wipe down your boat. Whether you are pulling it out of the water or just wiping it off, BABE'S Boat Bright enhances the finish of your boat by applying a light wax surface and a UV protectant. This specialized formula instantly creates a water repellant barrier on surfaces which causes the water to roll right off. This barrier reduces water spotting by keeping minerals from sitting on surface. The repellant also adds a mar-resistant coating that minimizes scratches. Our UV protectant protects your boat from oxidation and fading.

Keep a bottle of BABE'S Boat Bright on board your boat and in your garage. You will want to spray this stuff on whether you are hangin' out in the boat or cleaning it up after fun in the sun. And the more you use BABE'S Boat Bright, the slicker your boat stays. Hey, nice boat!

Price:
16 oz. $9.95
Gallon $29.95

http://www.meguiars.com/?boat-spray-waxes/Quik-Wax-Marine-(Trigger-Spray)
Meguiar's Quik Wax Marine (Trigger Spray)
Wax your boat as you dry to create a brilliant gloss and add wax protection. Use on wet or dry boat. Quickly and easily maintains gloss between periodic waxings. Suitable for use on fiberglass, painted surfaces, stainless steel, clear plastic and other non-porous surfaces (Do not use on glass windows). Use wax only after the surface has been cleaned and restored to a "like new" or "average" finish.

M5916 ..........16 oz. (473 ml) $10.98

BuoyChaser
10-20-2005, 04:22 PM
just picked up this kit at my dealer for now, but Quick Clean doesn't mention UV protection like Babe does:

http://www.meguiars.com/?boat-rv-kits/New-Boat-Owner's-Kit

New Boat Owner's Kit
Kit includes Flagship Premium Marine Wax M-6316, Quick Clean Marine M5216, Boat/RV Gel Wash 5416 and Applicator Pad W0004. Complete starter kit for a new boat owner. Keeps a new boat looking great - every day.
M6365 ..........Kit $35.98

Tom023
10-20-2005, 04:36 PM
Collinite paste. Babe's Boat Bright in between the two annual waxings.

vogelm1
10-21-2005, 10:34 AM
The first time I tried Babe's, I ordered the 3-bottle 'kit' from Bart's. It contained the Boat Bright, Seat Soap, and Spot Solver (for water spots). However, Bart's only carries the 'kit', not any separate bottles. I've found I only used the Boat Bright, and love it, so went ahead and ordered a gallon online from their website. I'm not sure where you can get it anywhere else but online from Babe's or calling Babe's direct.

Even though it's a cleaner and wax all in one, I don't think you'll need to worry about it being harsh on the 'glass. I use after every outing and my boat stays extremely smooth - like it's just been waxed. It works great on the windshield too...water beads right off.

This stuff is probably much like the 'quick waxes' other companies have, but I'm happy with Babe's...same price as others....so I'm planning to stick with it.

vogelm1
10-21-2005, 10:52 AM
Forgot to mention too that I bought my PS197 new this summer and it's still looking showroom. Would recommend Babe's to anyone that just bought a new boat and is leary about using a particular product on it.

The other nice thing about Babe's is it's water-based, so you can use in direct sunlight, and yes it does have a U.V. inhibitor in it so helps to protect from gelcoat fading.

BIGBADBLUE
11-02-2005, 08:46 AM
Good advise on Babe's ... I am going to try that next season. Very cool.

Question ... I use McGuieres, however, I put on and take off via an auto buffer, Makes the waxngs soooooo much faster. I looked at my hull and see no swirl marks even in the sun. Am I playing with fire on the buffer? Why do you guys not us it? I have used it for years on my 94 ... let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

vogelm1
11-02-2005, 09:37 AM
Good advise on Babe's ... I am going to try that next season. Very cool.

Question ... I use McGuieres, however, I put on and take off via an auto buffer, Makes the waxngs soooooo much faster. I looked at my hull and see no swirl marks even in the sun. Am I playing with fire on the buffer? Why do you guys not us it? I have used it for years on my 94 ... let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

I think you'll be fine, long as you use the proper polishing pad...if it's a variable speed polisher, keep the rpm's down and use a light colored pad specifically for waxing/polishing - no compounding pads here as they are made to take off haze and chalk. Only reason I do mine by hand is it's easier for me to get into all the nook and crannys; and nice to turn on the tunes in the boat and spend some time out in the driveway admiring the boat. :D If you are using a "Waxmaster" type random orbit buffer, no worries either since that is what it's made for.

Holtrodj
11-02-2005, 11:30 PM
Forgot to mention too that I bought my PS197 new this summer and it's still looking showroom. Would recommend Babe's to anyone that just bought a new boat and is leary about using a particular product on it.

The other nice thing about Babe's is it's water-based, so you can use in direct sunlight, and yes it does have a U.V. inhibitor in it so helps to protect from gelcoat fading.

I second the comments on Babes. I used it this year and it worked really well. The boys at the dealership even made comment about how much wax was on the boat when I broght it to be winterized, and I hadn't waxed in over 10 weeks. Babes is the way to go.