PDA

View Full Version : MCX Cutting out

yeahmooney
07-25-2012, 10:57 AM
I thought I would throw this question out on TeamTalk to see is any of you have experienced anything like I did last weekend. I have a 2004 197 with an MCX. I don't know much about motors other than that the MCX is pretty.

I just hit 450 hours on the motor on Moday, we spent about 4 hours on the water pulling kids when then engine suddenly cut out and stalled. It would restart but stall again right away.... I let the boat sit for about three minutes and it fired right up without any problems. No loss of horsepower or top end. It was over 104 degrees on monday but the Engine temp never went above 160 and my oil pressure/level is fine.

I headed back to the dock and it ran fine at different speed/RPMs. I shut the boat off, and restarted it with no problems. After sitting for about 45 minutes, my son wanted to go out again so I took him out and about 2 miles into his ride, the motor cut out again. After three minutes it started right up and ran fine...:confused:

I've owned the boat for four years and never had an issue. I only burn premium fuel and have never run it below 1/3 of a tank so I doubt its a fuel pump issue.
Has anyone else ever had this kind of issue? I thought it may be an electronic sensor that overheated or something with the PerfectPass...

MASTIQUE
07-25-2012, 11:09 AM
Sounds an awful lot like a fuel pump starting to go....

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk 2

CantRepeat
07-25-2012, 11:24 AM
I thought I would throw this question out on TeamTalk to see is any of you have experienced anything like I did last weekend. I have a 2004 197 with an MCX. I don't know much about motors other than that the MCX is pretty.

I just hit 450 hours on the motor on Moday, we spent about 4 hours on the water pulling kids when then engine suddenly cut out and stalled. It would restart but stall again right away.... I let the boat sit for about three minutes and it fired right up without any problems. No loss of horsepower or top end. It was over 104 degrees on monday but the Engine temp never went above 160 and my oil pressure/level is fine.

I headed back to the dock and it ran fine at different speed/RPMs. I shut the boat off, and restarted it with no problems. After sitting for about 45 minutes, my son wanted to go out again so I took him out and about 2 miles into his ride, the motor cut out again. After three minutes it started right up and ran fine...:confused:

I've owned the boat for four years and never had an issue. I only burn premium fuel and have never run it below 1/3 of a tank so I doubt its a fuel pump issue.
Has anyone else ever had this kind of issue? I thought it may be an electronic sensor that overheated or something with the PerfectPass...

Neither of these would stop a pump from going bad.

willyt
07-25-2012, 11:31 AM
fuel pump

TN X-45
07-25-2012, 12:41 PM
+1, you made it about a hundred hours past where everyone else made it with your fuel pump!

suiterob
07-25-2012, 05:45 PM
i have 70 hours on my mcx and the fuel pump just went out and it did exactly as you described.... it went out 3 times in a 2 hour span and finally wouldn't start after that.

Jerseydave
07-25-2012, 07:08 PM
Every change the fuel filter? Will it run ok on a full tank of fuel? (fuel does not pass thru the filter if the tank is full)

Sometimes if the pump is on it's way out it loses pressure when it gets hot, then works again after the boat sits and the pump cools down. If you have never changed the fuel filter the pump is most likely done as well. Pressure test it.

snork
07-25-2012, 08:15 PM
could be fuel pump or filter but it could be lack of air
try running the blower to get some fresh air under the cover

kevkan
07-26-2012, 05:08 PM
A couple of summers ago my MCX died while we were idling around in a no wake zone for about 20 minutes. I opened the engine hatch and looked at it. I could smell fuel. Couldn't get it to start for a while, then it finally started, and I pulled it out.

Later that summer while surfing, it started cutting out and stalled. I got it restarted and drove back to dock and let it cool down. Didn't have any trouble after that.

I think the problem is I never ran the blower after the engine was started, and at slow speed fresh air didn't make it back to the engine. I run the blower all the time now, and haven't had any more problems.

yeahmooney
07-30-2012, 05:50 PM
I wanted to follow up on this post from last week. I took the advice from my friends on TeamTalk and replaced the fuel pump myself. (Not the module, just the pump itself.) It took me less than an hour and I did it on the lift. I did buy a fuel rail test guage to make sure it was working and that bumped the entire cost of the project to $150.

I put another 10 hours on this weekend after replacing the pump and it runs perfectly.

Cheers:toast:

Greg

GoneBoatN
08-04-2012, 01:43 AM
What model fuel pump did you use?

yeahmooney
08-04-2012, 11:10 AM
I used the NAPA P74118. I would buy an extra clamp that will fit the hose for the fuel pump. Mine didn't come with one so I had to re-use the old clamp. below is a link with other manufacturer part numbers if you can't find the Napa part.
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=782439

GoneBoatN
08-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Thanks. I see notes of seveal different pumps and I end up wondering what would be a good spare to keep for my boat - 2010 X-15 w/MCX. So I keep watching these threads.