PDA

View Full Version : Update - on "76 S&S

harleygirl
07-25-2012, 08:53 AM
Yes, the 76 that we bought for $700 bucks, that we had no idea if it would turn over or not, RUNS!! The kid had no idea what he had. He sold it because it had an electrical problem. Well... It did. The negative battery cable was so rusted it had a bad ground. AND the post on the starter relay was completely broken off. Guess he missed that. Everything else works. Its awesome having an electrician and all around handy man for a husband. It may not look like much now, but that was the first step to find out what extent needs to be done. OFF WE GO !!!:D

mzimme
07-25-2012, 09:07 AM
What a deal... congrats! Now get her looking pretty.

psychobilly
07-25-2012, 09:17 AM
Pics?

ttu
07-25-2012, 09:20 AM
Pics?

please!:D

harleygirl
07-25-2012, 10:21 AM
I will post some on Sunday. He has it all covered up now. Sunday we shall see if she floats.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-25-2012, 10:53 AM
Gotta love a deal like that. I traded an I/O I picked up for $500 and put $250 into for the '77 I have now. It also had problems that the previous owner could not overcome. Have a great time with your project and take (and post) lots of pictures. Once the boat is all pretty, it is fun to look back at what it started as.

scott023
07-25-2012, 11:23 AM
That's fantastic harleygirl.

O2BESOHUGE
07-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Cant Wait To See The Pics!

pmkkdx
07-25-2012, 02:35 PM
that's great news it was that simple of a resolution on the engine.

gr82bgreen
07-25-2012, 06:03 PM
Yes, the 76 that we bought for $700 bucks, that we had no idea if it would turn over or not, RUNS!! The kid had no idea what he had. He sold it because it had an electrical problem. Well... It did. The negative battery cable was so rusted it had a bad ground. AND the post on the starter relay was completely broken off. Guess he missed that. Everything else works. Its awesome having an electrician and all around handy man for a husband. It may not look like much now, but that was the first step to find out what extent needs to be done. OFF WE GO !!!:D

Wow, great deal. You may want to change the fresh water impeller before the maiden voyage. If the rest of the boat was negleted I bet that it has not been changed in years.
Good luck.

ahhudgins
07-25-2012, 06:18 PM
Gotta love a deal like that. I traded an I/O I picked up for $500 and put $250 into for the '77 I have now. It also had problems that the previous owner could not overcome. Have a great time with your project and take (and post) lots of pictures. Once the boat is all pretty, it is fun to look back at what it started as.

My neighbor has a 77 or 78 MC that hasn't ran in about eight years.:( The trailer sat in the woods uncovered but the hull and interior are in pretty good shape. He has let several "mechanics" work on the engine and the electrical wiring, which is why it isn't running. I've asked him to sell it and he won't take less than 6K for it. If I'm not too old, I will wait for him to pass and offer his son $500 so he can buy some pot.

mzimme
07-25-2012, 06:57 PM
Wow, great deal. You may want to change the fresh water impeller before the maiden voyage. If the rest of the boat was negleted I bet that it has not been changed in years.
Good luck.

This is a good point. I wouldn't even bother taking it out without a fresh impeller in there. www.skidim.com can hook you up before the weekend if you get the order in now.

phickman
07-25-2012, 07:21 PM
This is a good point. I wouldn't even bother taking it out without a fresh impeller in there. www.skidim.com can hook you up before the weekend if you get the order in now.

Some good sage advice.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-25-2012, 07:23 PM
My neighbor has a 77 or 78 MC that hasn't ran in about eight years.:( The trailer sat in the woods uncovered but the hull and interior are in pretty good shape. He has let several "mechanics" work on the engine and the electrical wiring, which is why it isn't running. I've asked him to sell it and he won't take less than 6K for it. If I'm not too old, I will wait for him to pass and offer his son $500 so he can buy some pot.

Probably added up every penny he spent on it and added that to what he thinks it is worth. Good luck waiting him out.

phickman
07-25-2012, 07:32 PM

Some good sage advice. It will prevent further problems to deal with.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-25-2012, 07:36 PM
For what it's worth, my local MC dealer (Midwest Mastercraft) stock the impeller for my '77. You might check locally for that impeller if that is all you need. Not to bash SKIDIM as I have spent more than a few dollars there as well.

harleygirl
07-26-2012, 09:12 AM
Evidently my husband is one step ahead of me reading posts. I mentioned it to him and he already found an impeller locally. He said if she floats we will run it the way it is for the rest of the season, and tear it all down this fall. He loves to ski and I just learned how to wakeboard so having this boat the rest of the summer would be nice, as it is really intimidating to ski behind the Python.

Pics will definitely be coming....

thatsmrmastercraft
07-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Evidently my husband is one step ahead of me reading posts. I mentioned it to him and he already found an impeller locally. He said if she floats we will run it the way it is for the rest of the season, and tear it all down this fall. He loves to ski and I just learned how to wakeboard so having this boat the rest of the summer would be nice, as it is really intimidating to ski behind the Python.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

scott023
07-26-2012, 11:14 AM

Python, as in the amphibious vehicle?

harleygirl
07-26-2012, 12:28 PM
No, its a 1986 Python Vector 24 ft with a 454 in it. Loud exhaust. Closed bow. Not a ski boat. But you use what you have. It is a GA made boat. Was orignally made for off shore racing. Very similar to a baja.

scott023
07-26-2012, 12:31 PM
No, its a 1986 Python Vector 24 ft with a 454 in it. Loud exhaust. Closed bow. Not a ski boat. But you use what you have. It is a GA made boat. Was orignally made for off shore racing. Very similar to a baja.

Ahhh, my bad.

mzimme
07-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Python, as in the amphibious vehicle?

I just had this picture in my mind of an amphibious vehicle driving down the road toward the lake towing someone on skis with wheels attached and just driving straight down the ramp with "skier" in tow on the concrete, only to slowly transition to water and be on their way across the lake looking for the next boat ramp to continue on with their journey.

scott023
07-26-2012, 12:45 PM
I just had this picture in my mind of an amphibious vehicle driving down the road toward the lake towing someone on skis with wheels attached and just driving straight down the ramp with "skier" in tow on the concrete, only to slowly transition to water and be on their way across the lake looking for the next boat ramp to continue on with their journey.

That would be a sight to behold. 8p

harleygirl
07-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Now:D I want to try that !!!!

scott023
07-26-2012, 12:48 PM
No I want to try that !!!!

Here's your tow rig.

http://www.watercar.com/html/watercar_python.html

harleygirl
07-26-2012, 12:50 PM
HA HA HA ! That thing is great. Only starts at $200,000. I will go pick it off the tree.

scott023
07-26-2012, 12:50 PM
HA HA HA ! That thing is great. Only starts at $200,000. I will go pick it off the tree.

I need one of those trees.... but not the Python. LOL

mzimme
07-26-2012, 12:59 PM
Here's your tow rig.

http://www.watercar.com/html/watercar_python.html

Holy crap. 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, 1/4 mile in 12 seconds. That's hilarious.