PDA

View Full Version : First mc trying to figure out dash panel

Mike Ingram
07-25-2012, 01:08 AM
Hey
Im the proud new owner of an old mastercraft. 1978 S&S. I have some questions I would like some help with. I think the boat is pretty original except for maybe the cig lighter but what are the tree switches on the dash for. One is lights the other is the blower. What's the third. Thansk

Mike

thatsmrmastercraft
07-25-2012, 01:12 AM
Congrats on buying a great boat and welcome to Team Talk. The third switch is for the bilge pump. Three position: Off, on and automatic. Would love to see some pictures.

Mike Ingram
07-25-2012, 01:19 AM
Thanks. I'll check that out. So is it two position pulling out or twisting the bilge switch. I assume lights on the left and bilge on the right.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-25-2012, 01:22 AM
Off is all the way in. First position pulled out is automatic and all the way out is manual on. The switches on mine were all corroded when I got it. I was able to take them apart, clean them up and they work great now.

Mike Ingram
07-25-2012, 01:48 AM
here it is. Just brought it home. Im the third owner. Havent even washed it yet. Hoping to change the fluids and check everything out this week. Any suggestions on a boat thats been sitting for a few years

Mike

:D

Ironhorse
07-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Great find. That boat will look amazing with just a little polishing.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-25-2012, 11:25 AM
here it is. Just brought it home. Im the third owner. Havent even washed it yet. Hoping to change the fluids and check everything out this week. Any suggestions on a boat thats been sitting for a few years

Mike

:D

Change oil and transmission fluid before running it. Change it all again after just a few hours of running. Use a turkey baster to get the transmission fluid out. Go with new spark plugs, distributor cap & rotor. Install a new raw water impellor. Carefully inspect the belts and hoses. Carefully inspect for corrosion at all electrical connection. I just cleaned the main wiring harness connector at the back of the engine and made my tach work properly. The fuse panel and the gauges are another source for corroded connections.

If your steering seems stiff, a steering cable replacement is simple and relatively cheap.

If you have a local Mastercraft dealer, stop by with your boat and make friends with the crew. It has worked great for me. Discount Inboard Marine is a great source for parts (and expertise). Call them and request a catalog and keep it handy.

http://www.skidim.com/

Looks like you have the single axle version VM Trailer. I have a tandem axle VM under my boat.

Mike Ingram
07-25-2012, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the tips. My family and i are looking forward to it.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-25-2012, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the tips. My family and i are looking forward to it.

You're welcome. Don't hesitate to give a shout if you have any questions.