PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding question

onebadrubi
07-24-2012, 09:02 PM
My brakes seem to be working ok, but checked and I have water in the system. I am going to drain and bleed them this weekend hopefully. I have been reading the searches I have done and have a few questions.

One, how do I press the spring piece to actuate the brakes when bleeding? The underneath side of the tongue of the trailer is enclosed?

Also, what is the best way to drain?

Thanks

93Prostar190
07-24-2012, 10:10 PM
You can purchase a hand bleeder with a vacuum gun that will attach to the bleeder screws and pull the fluid.

mikeg205
07-24-2012, 11:20 PM
here's a home made bleeder system for a car...should be easy to adapt for surge...hey 93pro - do you have a link for the suction tool?

onebadrubi
07-24-2012, 11:54 PM
So whats the easiest way to drain the current fluid/water? I would love to purchase that gun setup. That way I can flush the system a time or two, then run it a few miles and flush again to get all water out of the system.

Any idea where to purchase, brand, or help searching?

sand2snow22
07-24-2012, 11:58 PM
Interested too. Need a pressure bleeder. Anybody know a good cheap one?

gatorguy
07-25-2012, 12:16 AM
As a MD I thought this might be a question about Hemophilia or something good like that. To bad it's about brakes. In general bleeding from the body is a bad thing. However we still use leeches to bleed people. It's kind of similar to a vacuum bleeder for brakes.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-25-2012, 12:18 AM
As a MD I thought this might be a question about Hemophilia or something good like that. To bad it's about brakes. In general bleeding from the body is a bad thing. However we still use leeches to bleed people. It's kind of similar to a vacuum bleeder for brakes.

Perhaps a trip to the barber shop is in order:rolleyes:

FrankSchwab
07-25-2012, 01:09 AM
So whats the easiest way to drain the current fluid/water? I would love to purchase that gun setup. That way I can flush the system a time or two, then run it a few miles and flush again to get all water out of the system.

Any idea where to purchase, brand, or help searching?

1. Suck all the fluid out of the reservoir. You can use your wife's turkey baster, but make sure to clean it well before putting it back, and for god's sake don't tell her. (Actually, buy her a new one. You don't want to be consuming brake fluid)
2. Follow the instructions here (http://www.championtrailers.com/techsup.html#bleed_brakes).
Rather than looking for bubbles, however, you're going to be looking for clean fluid.

deminimis
07-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Like Frank said, suck out the bad from the rezzy first. Now, if you are lucky, you may find you can crack open a bleed screw and fluid will flow on its own. We're talking disc brakes, right? If that's the case, try that, one brake at a time. You must keep the rezzy from running dry and getting air into the line. Once the fluid is running clear from one bleed screw, close it and move on to the next. I can bleed my brakes like that on my trailer, but again, if you allow any air to enter, you're out of luck. In that case, a Mityvac works quite well if you are doing this by yourself. Different actuators have different ways to activate the master cyl. If it's a UFP actuator, then you just slip a medium flat blade screw driver up the hole in the bottom, and lever the MC rod to activate. If it's a Titan actuator, good luck. I used a unique style of Vise Grips to actuate one of those. Still wasn't very effective and I pinched my fingers more than once when the vise Grips slipped off. Anyway, try the gravity bleeding first as it's the easiest. Only loosen the upper bleed screw on each caliper (in case you have two). Yo umay find you do not have good hyd pressure after gravity bleeding. Not sure if these have residual valves or not (guessing not), but a few pumps of the actuator and your pressure will build right back up.

onebadrubi
07-25-2012, 10:48 PM
Sorry bleeding under the trailer section made you think of a hemophilia. haha

So sucking whatever I can out of the reservoir will be good enough? No need to drain anything? I am going to do the gravity system, then use one of these tools that will "pull" fresh fluid through the bleeder screws to bleed my brakes. That seems the simplest for me to do. Also this will give me an excuse to replace the rest of the oil bath caps with metal ones and do PM on those.

Anyone know roughly how much fluid this system holds? Just trying to buy enough when I start this project.

Thanks,

FrankSchwab
07-26-2012, 12:52 AM
A pint is probably plenty for the flush and fill, but buy a quart to be safe. It'll give you plenty to run through the system to make sure it's flushed well.