PDA

View Full Version : Vacation Savior?

HOT-4-TEACHER
07-24-2012, 06:46 PM
Just got to Norris Lake on Sunday with 93prostar190. My wife and and I brought our new to us 07 X2.

Since we bought the boat in May, it seems we have been chasing a lot of issues. Now that we are on vacation, we have another.

Yesterday on the water, we were mid-session with some surfers. Suddenly, X2 dies and does not restart. Thankfully, I had a spare relay for the fuel pump. Once I replaced it, the fuel pump engaged during prime and the boat started.

Today, life was good....although a few times, the boat did not start the first time I turned the key, but did the second time...a little scary.

On the way back to our dock, the X2 died twice more. The first time, just wiggling the relay performed some magic and the boat started. The second time, we were 100 yards from the dock and had to swim the boat in.

Some interesting info...The relay I replaced yesterday and the relay I pulled today both look burnt / melted at the pin labeled 3. Why do we keep burning up relays?

Other info...
- just replaced the fuel pump because we thought it was bad.
- have checked and replaced the fuel pump fuse
- other issues we have had all seem to point to a bad ground.

Any thoughts? You guys are the best.

tockit
07-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Just got to Norris Lake on Sunday with 93prostar190. My wife and and I brought our new to us 07 X2.

Since we bought the boat in May, it seems we have been chasing a lot of issues. Now that we are on vacation, we have another.

Yesterday on the water, we were mid-session with some surfers. Suddenly, X2 dies and does not restart. Thankfully, I had a spare relay for the fuel pump. Once I replaced it, the fuel pump engaged during prime and the boat started.

Today, life was good....although a few times, the boat did not start the first time I turned the key, but did the second time...a little scary.

On the way back to our dock, the X2 died twice more. The first time, just wiggling the relay performed some magic and the boat started. The second time, we were 100 yards from the dock and had to swim the boat in.

Some interesting info...The relay I replaced yesterday and the relay I pulled today both look burnt / melted at the pin labeled 3. Why do we keep burning up relays?

Other info...
- just replaced the fuel pump because we thought it was bad.
- have checked and replaced the fuel pump fuse
- other issues we have had all seem to point to a bad ground.

Any thoughts? You guys are the best.I'd be leaning towards a sick fuel pump from what you've described.

Not sure how those fuel pumps are made, but your's could be sticking intermittently, overloading that relay when it does.

How easy is that fuel pump to access?

If you could pull it out without a lot of trouble, you could turn it on and off with a power source. That will tell you if it's sticking or not.

You could also check the resistance at your ground. There should be little/if any resistance if it's a good ground.

Good luck!

ttu
07-24-2012, 07:49 PM
sounds like a fuel pump i had go out on my 07 x2 at 250 hrs!!!

HOT-4-TEACHER
07-25-2012, 07:41 AM
Thank you for the espj

HOT-4-TEACHER
07-25-2012, 07:44 AM
Sorry.... My daughter hit the send button.

I think we fixed it. 93prostar190 found a bad connection inside the relay harness. We believe pin 30 was not making a good connection causing an arc and ultimately a burnt fuse.

Thank you for your replies.

willyt
07-25-2012, 04:04 PM
have fun down there. leave some butter on the lake for all of us headed down for masterbash in a week...