PDA

View Full Version : MC Valve covers

tph
07-24-2012, 06:02 PM
I've always liked the look of the Ford Racing wrinkle finish valve covers for the 351 but would rather have "Mastercraft" on the engine than "Ford". So...

thatsmrmastercraft
07-24-2012, 06:04 PM
That looks fantastic. I have a pair sitting in the garage and now I know what they need to look like.

Kyle
07-24-2012, 06:10 PM
Those are really nice.

How much, who did it, can they do more, details please

LYNRDSKYNRD
07-24-2012, 06:22 PM
Damn it man I just got the ones that say Ford Racing!

Those look great ...details please

Table Rocker
07-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Nicely done!

Covi
07-24-2012, 08:07 PM
Come on disclose! Let's hear who made those bad boys.

tph
07-24-2012, 08:18 PM
Come on disclose! Let's hear who made those bad boys.

I picked up a pair of stock blue ones from a member here, stripped them, painted with wrinkle finish and exposed the fins and logo with 80 grit sandpaper on a block. They turned out better that I expected.

Cloaked
07-24-2012, 08:35 PM
Damn it man I just got the ones that say Ford Racing!

Those look great ...details pleaseFord is what powers the boat.

I don't get it.......... MC power? It's a Ford engine....

Skinny, you're on target with the Ford insignia.

The MC cover isn't bad looking at all, but a Ford is a Ford, regardless of what it powers...

Fast forward a few: I got curious as to what stamp was on my covers. Sure as shootin', it's MC power stamped. I still don't see the logic but I'm stuck with the curse. :D :D

tph
07-24-2012, 11:38 PM
Ford is what powers the boat.

I don't get it.......... MC power? It's a Ford engine....

Skinny, you're on target with the Ford insignia.

The MC cover isn't bad looking at all, but a Ford is a Ford, regardless of what it powers...

Fast forward a few: I got curious as to what stamp was on my covers. Sure as shootin', it's MC power stamped. I still don't see the logic but I'm stuck with the curse. :D :D

Where do Pleasurecraft, Indmar, Ilmore,Crusader, Mercruiser, and the other Marinizers fit into the equation. Is that label OK, or should all the engines just have bowties and ovals on them?

thatsmrmastercraft
07-25-2012, 07:34 PM
I picked up a pair of stock blue ones from a member here, stripped them, painted with wrinkle finish and exposed the fins and logo with 80 grit sandpaper on a block. They turned out better that I expected.

Did you use a chemical stripper to remove the blue paint? What brand of paint did you use? This just move up towards the top of the To Do List.

CantRepeat
07-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Isn't the blue on them power coat??

Voodoo
07-25-2012, 10:20 PM
Where do Pleasurecraft, Indmar, Ilmore,Crusader, Mercruiser, and the other Marinizers fit into the equation. Is that label OK, or should all the engines just have bowties and ovals on them?

The engine manufacturer logo will do nicely. For the price of a new MC, this logo is appropriate.

Voodoo

tph
07-25-2012, 10:58 PM
Did you use a chemical stripper to remove the blue paint? What brand of paint did you use? This just move up towards the top of the To Do List.

Yes, I used Jasco stripper. It took a few coats. I found an old toothbrush and toothpicks came in handy to get in between the logo letters.

VHT wrinkle finish paint. Available at O'reilly's auto on the west coast. I'm sure it's readily available across the country.

tph
07-25-2012, 11:00 PM
Isn't the blue on them power coat??

I think it's paint. Whatever it is, was fairly easily removed with Jasco Epoxy and Paint remover.

Ryan
07-25-2012, 11:09 PM
I've always liked the look of the Ford Racing wrinkle finish valve covers for the 351 but would rather have "Mastercraft" on the engine than "Ford". So...

That's fantastic! I've seen a few valve covers redone on this forum over the years, but that wrinkly finish helps the uncovered fins really pop.

tph
07-25-2012, 11:44 PM

Peter, This is what worked for me:

Apply a good coat of paint to everything (not too thin) and use a hairdryer to evenly heat the paint to it's wrinkled finish. If the paint is too thin, it stays fairly glossy and doesn't wrinkle very well. I hope it goes well for you. Please post some pics.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-26-2012, 12:46 AM
Peter, This is what worked for me:

Apply a good coat of paint to everything (not too thin) and use a hairdryer to evenly heat the paint to it's wrinkled finish. If the paint is too thin, it stays fairly glossy and doesn't wrinkle very well. I hope it goes well for you. Please post some pics.

I just sat down with the To Do List that needs to get done before I leave for a weeks vacation in August..........I might not get to the valve covers until after. Definitely on the list though. Thanks for the tips.

Ryan
07-26-2012, 01:00 AM

Did you sand after they were completely dry, or was the paint slightly pliable?

thatsmrmastercraft
07-26-2012, 01:03 AM
Probably want to add some clear coat to the bare aluminum fins to keep it from oxidizing.

tph
07-26-2012, 03:21 AM
Did you sand after they were completely dry, or was the paint slightly pliable?

Good question. I actually scraped the fins and logo with a flat utility blade about 18 hours after painting. The paint was dry but not completely cured at that point. Then, a short time later I started with the Sandpaper on a block.

tph
07-26-2012, 03:25 AM
Probably want to add some clear coat to the bare aluminum fins to keep it from oxidizing.

I was thinking about that too. But, I wouldn't want to gloss the wrinkle finish.I guess you could use a flat spray finish or try to apply with a small brush.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-26-2012, 11:13 AM
I was thinking about that too. But, I wouldn't want to gloss the wrinkle finish.I guess you could use a flat spray finish or try to apply with a small brush.

I'm thinking a small brush is the answer. The black looks too good to change.

soacj
07-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Love the valve covers--wish I had done that to the ones in my former Prostar.

I'd use a small foam roller for the clear.

catamount
07-27-2012, 03:05 PM
That looks SICK!

thatsmrmastercraft
07-27-2012, 03:12 PM
Love the valve covers--wish I had done that to the ones in my former Prostar.

I'd use a small foam roller for the clear.

Good idea.

sxerob
07-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Great mod! I have seen high temp powder look really nice too. I have shot a few things like that before.

Can we see a shot of those thing on the block?

tph
10-14-2012, 11:51 PM
Great mod! I have seen high temp powder look really nice too. I have shot a few things like that before.

Can we see a shot of those thing on the block?

As requested. Sorry it took so long, I've been using the boat (a good thing). Now the Valve covers make the rest of the engine look bad....oh well..another project!

strad
10-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Tph. What's the purpose of that gate valve next to the dizzy? Like the covers btw.

clrussell
10-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Looks amazing!! Definitely added to the winter list! And I think that valve is his heater shut off .. At least that's where mine is

Sent by the new iPhone 5!

tph
10-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Looks amazing!! Definitely added to the winter list! And I think that valve is his heater shut off .. At least that's where mine is

Sent by the new iPhone 5!

Thanks! Yes, the valve is for the heater system.

clrussell
03-12-2013, 10:46 PM
Bump so I can find this this week, just pulled my valve covers off and am about to do this

Tapatalk

thatsmrmastercraft
03-13-2013, 12:19 AM
On my list to do soon as well.

tph
03-13-2013, 01:02 AM
Bump so I can find this this week, just pulled my valve covers off and am about to do this

Tapatalk

Great! Please post Pics of the finished product.

tph
03-13-2013, 01:06 AM
On my list to do soon as well.

Good Thing. That snow won't be there forever. It will be melting soon and filling those 10,000 lakes.

samtechwaterski
06-09-2014, 06:48 PM
So this is a pretty old thread, but I ran across it and thought I would share the valve covers I did a few years ago. Lots of time was taken to mask them off. The blue is actually darker in person.

Sam

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-09-2014, 06:51 PM
Nice......:)

f925
06-09-2014, 07:05 PM
These are mine that I did last year. I just hope I can use them after my rebuild. If I can I will clean them up re-spray them and clear coat them.
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz56/markspiper/MLP_2571.jpg
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=92084&d=1364831091
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=92106&d=1364871135