PDA

View Full Version : Hip Replacement and Skiing

old blue
07-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Hey!
I could use some ideas. 82 S&S is rebuilt, now time to ski.

I skied today for the first time in a few years. felt fantastic.

My Wife is 52 and is 2 years out from BOTH hips being replaced. She was cleared to ski by her Doctors and we're giving it a try. She was a great slalom skier before the hip problems and then replacements. (15off @30mph) But has not skied in about 5 years. We tried it today and she could not Deep Water Start with her old ski and double boot. She's a little worried about double skiing because of the chance that her legs may twist or stretch. When we taught her to ski 30 years ago she only double skied about twice then we started to teach her on one ski. So she's not at all confident on two.

Does anyone ski now after Hip Replacement surgery? What did you do?
Bigger Ski? (she's on a 64) drop a ski?

I need your help, We've been married a long time, so she's not listening to me!:rolleyes:

Kent

old blue
07-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Here's the 82 with the new motor and interior.

CruisinGA
07-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Maybe buy a used "big boy" ski for her to get comfortable and get her strength back and then go back to the old ski?

Could also get an extended pylon to help with the deep water starts.

Boat looks great!

tex
07-24-2012, 05:15 PM
I have several friends who went through the same thing at about the same age. They are all back skiing(Not allowed to jump) and skiing well! I would ease into it with some of the above listed suggestions.

aquaman
07-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Slalom puts alot of pressure on the hips......has she thought about wakeboarding ?

She really doesnt want to have a hip displaced.....very painful + a visit to the hospital so i have heard.

tex
07-24-2012, 06:17 PM
Sky Ski?????

milkmania
07-24-2012, 07:17 PM
Hey Kent,
I saw that name and could only think one thing:uglyhamme

JohnnyB
07-24-2012, 09:22 PM
A bit different but I had a hip resurfaced (metal on metal) in Dec 2006 and was back to both slalom and barefoot in May 2007. I am quite a bit younger and my hip restrictions are quite different.

Personal choice but with a metal on delron traditional replacement, not sure I would chance it on slalom or combos.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

mbeach
07-24-2012, 09:30 PM
had total hip replacement Christmas. tried getting up on 2 just to get the feel which probably was a mistake. did not get up first time and 2nd time it put a lot of pressure on my hip but i made it up on 2. did not do anything fancy, but i am still feeling it 10 days later. may give it another 6 months before i try again. good news is that my bad hip is the right one and i slalom left foot forward.