PDA

View Full Version : I seek knowledge!

Hogwild
07-24-2012, 02:49 PM
So as most of you have probably figured out I'm not, nor have I ever been real mechanically inclined. It seems that the knowledge that my father and uncle once had from working on multiple vehicles in their teenage years was never passed down to me. So now that I own a boat, I really want to learn as much as possible. My question is, do you guys know of a good resource(s) explaining the basics of an internal combustion engine and all related parts that our MC boats use? I'm not looking for a history of the combustion engine, but just basically want to know all of the various pieces that our boats use and how they are used. Diagrams are a plus as well.

Not trying to get you guys to do my homework for me, but I thought if any of you were aware of a really good resource, you might be able to pass it along. Right now Youtube has some pretty cool stuff I'm checking out.

spurrinit
07-24-2012, 08:02 PM
www.howstuffworks.com has a pretty good explanation of the internal combustion engine along with some other cool stuff.

Hogwild
07-25-2012, 10:16 AM
www.howstuffworks.com has a pretty good explanation of the internal combustion engine along with some other cool stuff.

Cool. Thanks. I will check it out

JimN
07-25-2012, 10:20 AM
So as most of you have probably figured out I'm not, nor have I ever been real mechanically inclined. It seems that the knowledge that my father and uncle once had from working on multiple vehicles in their teenage years was never passed down to me. So now that I own a boat, I really want to learn as much as possible. My question is, do you guys know of a good resource(s) explaining the basics of an internal combustion engine and all related parts that our MC boats use? I'm not looking for a history of the combustion engine, but just basically want to know all of the various pieces that our boats use and how they are used. Diagrams are a plus as well.

Not trying to get you guys to do my homework for me, but I thought if any of you were aware of a really good resource, you might be able to pass it along. Right now Youtube has some pretty cool stuff I'm checking out.

Do you know anything about electricity or electronics? If not, it's gonna be a long road because a lot of what's involved is electrical. Mechanical failures aren't as hard to diagnose.

SilviaMan
07-25-2012, 10:44 AM
since alot of the electronics are similar. you could look for a chilton's or haynes manual for a truck with that engine in it. can give you a place to look for guidance.