PDA

View Full Version : Grease coming out of hubs

homer12
07-24-2012, 12:13 PM
After I bought my '89 Tristar from the PO and had it out on the trailer several times, I have had an issue with grease coming out of the hubs and getting spattered all over the wheels? The guy pumped the bearings full of grease before turning over to me since the trailer was hardly ever used by him.
Could this just be there was too much grease inside or do I have some sort of seal issue possibl? I'll try to get some pics tonight.

mcmx2
07-24-2012, 12:49 PM
I had an 89 prostar and the trailer had the Super Lube system. The little black rubber caps would get small tears or holes in them and then spray grease on the hubs. I am not sure if you have the same system but this is an easy fix if that is the problem.

mayo93prostar
07-24-2012, 01:29 PM
Could be either cause. Is it leaking on the inside of the wheel such that it is the bearing seal or is on the outside? Do you have bearing buddies? If inside, you may want to replace your bearing seals and clean up the part of the spindle that the seal rides on. If bearing buddies, do you have the plastic caps on?

homer12
07-24-2012, 02:04 PM
These hubs have bearing buddies (I think), but they also have the caps on the hub. The grease must be pushing out of the caps or coming from somewhere else. I don't think there is any grease inside the wheel, but I'll double check tonight.

kyfooter
07-24-2012, 05:42 PM
Grease should not be coming out of the bearing buddy or the back. If the trailer sat for a long time, don't be afraid to dig in and check your seals (might be good just to replace), bearings, and check the spindle. Make sure where the bearing rolls on the spindles, the spindle is smooth. If not, the bearing could be getting hung up in grooves, heating up, and therefore blowing the grease through the seals.

It is also possible that the bearing buddies are damaged. Unfortunately, they come off by spinning the entire wheel and tapping the bearing buddy with a rubber mallet. It is possible to bend these out of shape, such that grease could leak out.

Todd X14
07-24-2012, 07:20 PM
If there is grease coming from the inside then you do have an issue with the seal. If there is grease leaking out front after you travel it could very well be that the guy you got it from pumped too much in to begin with. Been there done that.

homer12
07-25-2012, 11:34 AM
Here is what the hub looks like and the wheel with grease all over it. Doesn't look like any coming out the back.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-25-2012, 11:37 AM
Looks over-greased.

homer12
07-25-2012, 11:40 AM
Anything I can do about it without disassembling or just keep wiping up the excess?

BTW, those are bearing buddies right?

thatsmrmastercraft
07-25-2012, 12:49 PM
I would start with wiping up the excess grease and follow the Bearing Buddy greasing guidelines.

http://www.bearingbuddy.com/faq.html

mayo93prostar
07-25-2012, 03:23 PM
yes, those are bearing buddies. what a mess, definitely over greased. wipe off the excess inside the bearing buddie, this will help some and that grease is not doing any good. also, you can just take off the bearing buddies by knocking them off with a hammer (gently) and clean them up inside and out and reinstall and re-grease, but you really should repack bearings and replace seals. urgency of doing it depends upon how far you have to trailer it.

homer12
04-02-2013, 02:16 PM
Does anyone know what type of bearing lube system this is? I have this type on one axle and the bearing buddies on the other axle. :confused:

homer12
04-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Looks like it is an EZ lube style hub and cap.
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hubs-and-Drums/Dexter/84546UC3-EZ.html