PDA

View Full Version : Pertronix Distributor

84starsandstripes
07-24-2012, 02:45 AM
Alright guys, I went to toss in my Pertronix Distributor today and had some issues going in. Towards the end we saw what we think was our issue when we went back in with the original but before I try again I wanted to check with you guys first.

I double checked the Pertronix part number and it seems like I definitely have the right model! I went to toss it in and the spline at the bottom looks bigger than the factory. If any one has experience with this distributor, is it supposed to be like this?

http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg638/AstonMartinOne77/photo1-1.jpg

http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg638/AstonMartinOne77/image-1.jpg

http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg638/AstonMartinOne77/image1.jpg

Thank you in advance!

thatsmrmastercraft
07-24-2012, 11:36 AM
That doesn't look like it has a chance of fitting. Have you called Pertronix yet?

84starsandstripes
07-24-2012, 11:48 AM
E-mailed them late last night but plan on calling them today. It seemed like it fit into the cam gear just fine but I couldn't get it flush in order to seal. When I put the original back in I learned you had to push a bit forward in order for it to drop down flush so I planned on giving this a try with the new one today.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-24-2012, 11:51 AM
It will have a few years less wear than the original distributor. Fit might be a little more snug.

84starsandstripes
07-24-2012, 01:03 PM
So it should work alright?! Seems like the part number shows up right on just about every website I can find. Summit, Pertronix, etc.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-24-2012, 01:11 PM
On first glance the Pertronix drive gear looks huge, but after looking at it for a while, I think most of that is illusion. Have you measured the difference between the two drive gears?

84starsandstripes
07-24-2012, 01:14 PM
On first glance the Pertronix drive gear looks huge, but after looking at it for a while, I think most of that is illusion. Have you measured the difference between the two drive gears?

Not yet, I'm going to check it out later when I get the original back out again.

markismm
07-24-2012, 01:54 PM
When I installed mine, it was a much tighter fit than the original due to 20 years worth of wear and tear on the original gear. In short, however, took a bit to get the Pertronix to finally seat. After I got it to seat though it worked perfect. I agree you should take a measurement between your original distrib and the Petronix gear and if it is too far off then it certainly could be a manufacturing mistake where the wrong gear was put on at the Petronix factory. Have you actually been able to get the new distrib to seat?

occva
07-24-2012, 02:02 PM
I had to rotate the hex on the oil pump shaft slightly on mine. Then it dropped right in.

84starsandstripes
07-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the input guys, greatly appreciate it.

I gave it a go last night and confirmed that it will definitely not fit. Extremely weird since the part # is definitely 100% right for this application. I'm going to try and return it and possible keep the Prestolite in there for the rest of the summer.

JMann
07-25-2012, 03:42 PM
Where did you look for the part number, maybe compare it to another one at a shop and see if maybe the one you received has the wrong part number on it.

CBRENT
07-25-2012, 04:26 PM
@ 84starsandstripes, I just installed the one below (see link) in my 86 ford 351w, fit perfectly. It appears you have a ford 351 too...? Just thought you could check it against this one's part number.

http://www.shopatron.com/products/productdetail/part_number=D231801/591.0?utm_source=591.0&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ShipmentTrackingEmail

84starsandstripes
07-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the help guys! Looks like I accidentally ordered one for a Cleveland! New one should be here this but she goes in the water today dammit!

thatsmrmastercraft
07-27-2012, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the help guys! Looks like I accidentally ordered one for a Cleveland! New one should be here this but she goes in the water today dammit!

Well, there are a lot of 351's.