PDA

View Full Version : Almost got scared and scarred

AZX9
07-24-2012, 12:47 AM
We,ll I pulled off the trailer this weekend and started backing out of the lane and out past the docks. I happen to notice the bilge kick on. Then it hit me and I started scrambling for the plug. I always keep it in the drivers cup holder. Reached down grabbed it and went to flip up the doghouse when I notice the engine stopped running and I'm floating off into the shore and cat tails that could have had rocks. Frantically I'm trying to restart the boat as I'm almost to shore and it won't start. I give up in favor of installing the plug and return to the helm to start the boat with no luck. I'm now in the reeds but luckily no rocks when I look down and see the dam lanyard somehow got yanked off. I pulled a double dipsh!t. I know at least my auto bilge does work though.

curtish
07-24-2012, 12:49 AM
Damn lanyard. Claims another victim. Luckily you escaped unscathed.

AZX9
07-24-2012, 01:00 AM
Thats the second time I've come close to drifting into a hazard from that thing coming off and in my panic I forget to check to see if it's missing. I don't even clip it on me and it just gets snagged on something and comes off. It may have numbered days soon.

sand2snow22
07-24-2012, 01:03 AM
Last time you forget the plug for awhile :)

AZX9
07-24-2012, 01:17 AM
If I just fixed the leaking shaft seal or rudder I wouldn't have to pull it every time.

sand2snow22
07-24-2012, 01:20 AM
I don't have any leaks and I pull mine every time...

Kyle
07-24-2012, 01:53 AM
Another reason to bypass the stupid lanyard. I hate them. They wad up and look tacky. If you are safe then connect the two wires behind the switch together. Bypass that switch

What was supposed to keep you safe almost caused harm to your boat.

coz
07-24-2012, 07:55 AM
Reeds & rocks, sounds like fun in Parker :D

Ironhorse
07-24-2012, 08:26 AM
I cut the line and just leave the plastic piece of my lanyard connected. No chance of it getting hung up on your clothing this way.

scott023
07-24-2012, 09:00 AM
wow, you lucked out there. Bet you won't make the same mistake twice... :D

ntidsl
07-24-2012, 09:28 AM
Another reason to start the engine with doghouse open...check your cooling lines before and after you start to engine to ensure water coming from the impeller housing to the tranny cooler...also check for leaks and plug before you pull off the trailer. I would never pull off the trailer before ensuring everything is okay.

Thrall
07-24-2012, 10:16 AM
Another reason to bypass the stupid lanyard. I hate them. They wad up and look tacky. If you are safe then connect the two wires behind the switch together. Bypass that switch

What was supposed to keep you safe almost caused harm to your boat.

What he said^.
On the X2's it's even worse because the lanyard plug is right by the driver's drink holder. Inevitable to knock it off at least once a day getting your drink.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Just removing the coiled cord and leaving the clip in place will still allow the switch to fail and wreck at least part of your day...........depending upon when you realize it is the cause of your engine not starting.

Launching without your plug seems inevitable. The sooner you get it over with, the less likely you are to do it again.:rolleyes:

BrianT
07-24-2012, 10:59 AM
I don't have any leaks and I pull mine every time...

Same here, but I sometimes have a panic attack regarding the plug. I've never had a issue with the lanyard though, so far.....

mikeg205
07-24-2012, 11:38 PM
been there done that...new habit.. pulled it when i pull the boat out of the water...put it in before I leave the garage to go to river....or lake.

AZX9
07-25-2012, 12:29 AM
I'll wire the wires together before I pull the red chord off the clip. That dang clip will come off then it will be imposible to find since it has no red cord attached to it.

kjohnson
07-25-2012, 09:10 AM
I cut the line and just leave the plastic piece of my lanyard connected. No chance of it getting hung up on your clothing this way.

I did the exact same thing.

cdstukey
07-25-2012, 06:33 PM
Can't help with the lanyard, but try getting in the habit of hooking the plug through the loop of your key chain/float when you remove it. Hard to start without it when it's right there with the key.