PDA

View Full Version : ZFT5P Tower Flex

bjames
07-23-2012, 06:01 PM
Let me rant.. I am getting tired of seeing my tower flex all over the place. Yesterday I had some freinds on baord (both do not own boats). One of them commented on how much the tower flexes, asking if that was normal. As always I made excuses in order to preserve my pride with MC.

Its so disapointing that MC can produce such a bad @ss tower, only to be the most flexible out there. Look at Nautique, Supra, Moomba, Malibu - all very solid towers, then you take the $12K upgraded menacing tower sway all over the place in mild chop:(

Also, it seems like my Bimini frame is getting looser everyday. Im afraid it will soon just fall apart.

I really hope the cross braces stiffen the tower.

AZX45OD
07-23-2012, 07:13 PM
I feel your pain. I had the same experience with mine. One of my electric actuators actually broke while towing home, so they went ahead and put the hydraulics on mine with the new braces. The braces look nice, and really help with the sway of the tower-as long as the tower is fully raised to "engage" the braces. Which leads me to my next issue: the tower won't stay up. This was the first retrofit with hydraulics for my dealer, and they are working thru the bugs. I am confident that all will be resolved, but it has made for a frustrating summer.

bjames
07-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Which leads me to my next issue: the tower won't stay up. This was the first retrofit with hydraulics for my dealer, and they are working thru the bugs. I am confident that all will be resolved, but it has made for a frustrating summer.

Wont stay up?? Does the tower slowly sink when up all the way? I wonder if the system is loosing pressure. Hydraulics are supposed to be very reliable - been used in farming, construction equipment for many many years.

bcd
07-23-2012, 07:40 PM
If they are leaking down, ask for some pilot operated check valves to be installed.

AZX45OD
07-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Sometimes it will slowly settle back down 4-6 inches then stay. There are times it settles all the way back down. For the most part now it has been staying up, but had a setback this weekend. The latest is that a tech from MC headquarters will be coming out to address the issue and fix it. Apparently they have tested the hydraulic system on the open sea (on other boats) and it has held up great. Mine must have some installation issues, or maybe the pump is not supplying enough pressure...

I think in the long run it will be a great, trouble-free set up...

bjames
07-24-2012, 12:10 PM
I have heard as well that the hydraulic system is supposed to be near 100% reliable as it is a proven and old technology. Thats why I was surprised to hear you were having problems. Im sure its an isolated issue related to the installation. Let us know how things work out for you. :)