PDA

View Full Version : Removing old glue from swim platform

Shredman
07-23-2012, 03:34 PM
I needed to replace the padding on my swim platform. On the 225 VRS it is integrated into the hull. Under the old padding is a pretty uniform layer of glue. This glue seems to be bonded very well to the fiberglass. I tried a little acetone on it yesterday and it didn't even make a dent. The adhesive is not going anywhere without some serious abrasion.

If I sanded down the edges of the glue and roughed it up, will the new pad stick to it? It is a Seadec pad with adhesive already on it.

Cary K.
07-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Maybe a heat gun to get the bulk of it off, then use acetone or other chemical to get the remaining glue and residue off.

BrooksfamX2
07-23-2012, 04:43 PM
I used a belt sander cautiously

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fast50dad
07-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Try heating it up and using a plastic razor blade to remove the glue. Prior to college I worked at Sugar Sand Marine (Jet Boat manufacturer) and this along with acetone was one of the methods to un-oops decal and glue issues.

vogelm1
07-23-2012, 09:43 PM
Just winging it out there...but what about one of those 3M rubber wheels for taking body molding adhesive off cars? They don't damage the paint and eat up the adhesive really well. A swim platform may be too large an area to work with though :confused:

ahhudgins
07-23-2012, 10:00 PM
I needed to replace the padding on my swim platform. On the 225 VRS it is integrated into the hull. Under the old padding is a pretty uniform layer of glue. This glue seems to be bonded very well to the fiberglass. I tried a little acetone on it yesterday and it didn't even make a dent. The adhesive is not going anywhere without some serious abrasion.

If I sanded down the edges of the glue and roughed it up, will the new pad stick to it? It is a Seadec pad with adhesive already on it.

Post up what works the best. The padding on my 200VRS has started to come up at the corners and I thought about replacing it.

Shredman
07-24-2012, 07:43 AM
I was actually wondering if I could just put the pad over the existing adhesive. May be crazy, but the adhesive is bonded so well, it's not going anywhere.

As long as I clean it up around the edges and rough it up all over, why would it not just stick to the adhesive surface?

jgraham37128
07-24-2012, 09:54 PM
I would clean it off as best as you can. I would hate to see your new swim deck start peeling up. It may take a little more time on the front end but if it's right when your done it will save you time in the long run.

I just got thru re gluing mine and spent a lot of hours scrapping old glue off with a 2" putty knife!