PDA

View Full Version : what makes people think its ok?

willyt
07-23-2012, 04:12 PM
ok,
two people i know (both very intelligent people) asserted that they thought it would be easier to drive a boat or PWC than a car, and were thinking about renting a pwc/boat sometime soon. they've never driven either in their entire life.

i dont get it. I don't know how to fly a plane, seems easy, i'll go rent one.

told them i probably have 1000 + hrs on the water, maybe 500 hrs + behind the wheel and i still get nervous when the river is crowded with wallies around. I think that scared them sufficiently to dissuade them from trying.

mzimme
07-23-2012, 04:17 PM
The actual act of driving a boat is not hard. You get in, make the throttle go forward, and steer. There's no gears that you have to shift, there's no brake, etc.

Driving a boat with confidence is entirely different. Parking in a tight slip, maneuvering through boat traffic, loading and unloading the boat, pulling anything behind the boat, setting an anchor, avoiding ropes, avoiding other sunken hazards, etc. That's what makes boating difficult. Making the boat go down the water isn't hard, whereas in a plane... good luck staying up there for too long with zero prior education. A boat won't sink (generally) if you just get in it and go.

76S&S
07-23-2012, 04:22 PM
Rather than scare the he!! out of them wouldn't it be better to get them out on the water and show them the ropes? We can only grow our sport if we share it with others.

oxberger
07-23-2012, 04:23 PM
Yeah, it may not sink but putting the throttle down and going forward can definately kill someone very easily (as stated no brakes and if you don't know how to slow a boat down and reverse it if a given space you could be a world o' hurt). I would suggest telling your friends to take a boater safety class first to get their feet wet then decide if its something they want to try.

oxberger
07-23-2012, 04:23 PM
Well it could sink if they don't know about the bilge plug.

mzimme
07-23-2012, 04:28 PM
The most experienced boater still sinks a boat when they forget to stick the plug in it. Like I said, it was a generality.

Driving a boat, while still dangerous if uneducated, is much easier than driving a car... or airplane. I don't know how you can argue otherwise.

SilviaMan
07-23-2012, 04:52 PM
The most experienced boater still sinks a boat when they forget to stick the plug in it. Like I said, it was a generality.

Driving a boat, while still dangerous if uneducated, is much easier than driving a car... or airplane. I don't know how you can argue otherwise.

And yet I daily see people that have no business driving a car. Likewise every time I'm at the lake I see someone that has no business driving a boat.
I believe all of these vehicles have their difficulties in driving them. (although to be fair I have never flown an aircraft)
In some respects I feel driving a boat can be harder than driving a car. ( my example here is brakes vs. no brakes) If you don't gauge it right with the forward speed and the application of reverse you will be hitting something!

I do agree with having them out in the boat on a quiet day to teach them a bit so that hopefully they have a nice day out on the lake when they decide to rent said watercraft.

Jason.H.
07-23-2012, 05:33 PM
If the rental company offers insurance, they better buy it!

Jerseydave
07-23-2012, 05:41 PM
And why is it you can rent a boat or PWC with just a quick briefing in a classroom, but to have a boaters safety certificate in NJ you have to take the 6-8 hour course and pass the written test? Are renters less likely to hurt someone since they are only behind the wheel for an hour?

Do car rental companies rent cars to people without a drivers license? I don't think so. Actually most renters have to be over 21, some over 25.

I wonder what % of boat accidents are caused by renters vs boat owners?

Sorry for the rant, but I am an anti-boat rental person (including PWC's)

scott023
07-23-2012, 05:47 PM
And why is it you can rent a boat or PWC with just a quick briefing in a classroom, but to have a boaters safety certificate in NJ you have to take the 6-8 hour course and pass the written test? Are renters less likely to hurt someone since they are only behind the wheel for an hour?

Do car rental companies rent cars to people without a drivers license? I don't think so. Actually most renters have to be over 21, some over 25.

I wonder what % of boat accidents are caused by renters vs boat owners?

Sorry for the rant, but I am an anti-boat rental person (including PWC's)

I agree, unless you've gotten the same license the rest of us have gotten, you shouldn't be able to rent anything. Far too many idiots ripping around on PWC at the speed of light and no idea on how to control them. Had on trying to jump my wake yesterday while I had a surfer in the water. He was only 20 yards off my transom. :mad:

73blue
07-23-2012, 05:59 PM
As someone who rents boats every day to random strangers, I can honestly say the vast majority of first time boaters are much more cautious than your average boater. Most first-timers are also very attentive to instruction. I would much rather deal with someone who knows he doesn't know what he's doing, than some jackleg with "experience" who doesn't pay attention because, hey, he's driven his uncle's john boat twice. Trust me, I deal with them also.

FWIW, I have stopped renting jetskis. Totally different crowd.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-23-2012, 06:09 PM
As someone who rents boats every day to random strangers, I can honestly say the vast majority of first time boaters are much more cautious than your average boater. Most first-timers are also very attentive to instruction. I would much rather deal with someone who knows he doesn't know what he's doing, than some jackleg with "experience" who doesn't pay attention because, hey, he's driven his uncle's john boat twice. Trust me, I deal with them also.

FWIW, I have stopped renting jetskis. Totally different crowd.

I'm sure there are many who appreciate that.

ahhudgins
07-23-2012, 11:23 PM
And why is it you can rent a boat or PWC with just a quick briefing in a classroom, but to have a boaters safety certificate in NJ you have to take the 6-8 hour course and pass the written test? )

Same here in VA. I just had this conversation with a friend of mine whose daughter and her boyfriend are going to rent a MC at Smith Mountain Lake. She told her father that she didn't need a permit to operate a boat and he didn't believe her. My age group hasn't been phased in yet, but eventually I will have to take the 8 hour course eventhough I've owned boats for 25 years. To rent a boat, all they do is give a person a 15 minute course and send them on their way.

This was a rental boat at SML a few years ago.

scott023
07-24-2012, 10:19 AM
Same here in VA. I just had this conversation with a friend of mine whose daughter and her boyfriend are going to rent a MC at Smith Mountain Lake. She told her father that she didn't need a permit to operate a boat and he didn't believe her. My age group hasn't been phased in yet, but eventually I will have to take the 8 hour course eventhough I've owned boats for 25 years. To rent a boat, all they do is give a person a 15 minute course and send them on their way.

This was a rental boat at SML a few years ago.

That ones going to need an explanation. :confused:

Jason.H.
07-24-2012, 10:37 AM
hahaha I like the young kid in the picture feeding the carp popcorn!!

ahhudgins
07-24-2012, 02:52 PM
That ones going to need an explanation. :confused:

I think I posted that story last year when it happened. Give a noob 15 minutes of instruction and give him the keys.

http://www2.godanriver.com/news/2011/may/30/1/boat-jumps-dock-in-smith-mountain-lake-a-72997-vi-27552/

thatsmrmastercraft
07-24-2012, 05:24 PM
hahaha I like the young kid in the picture feeding the carp popcorn!!

Not much else to do at that point. All the excitement of a boat ending up on top of the dock was over.