PDA

View Full Version : New Steering Wheel and Engine Questions

DH9441
07-23-2012, 12:12 PM
Hi all,

Iím thinking about replacing my steering wheel on my 85 S/S. Does anyone have any tech tips on this. Do I need an adapter, hard to get off etc...

Also,
I've replaced the plugs, rotor, cap, coil, and moved to electronic ignition. The carb is newer and my mechanic said he did adjust somewhat. My boat runs strong but really hard to start. Especially after its hot. The battery is newer turns over very strong. The alternator is new as well. Any thoughts on getting a better result when starting? The last thing I want to do is burn out the starter or put excess wear on the 27 year old fly wheel.

Thx-

Ryan
07-23-2012, 12:30 PM
Hi all,

Iím thinking about replacing my steering wheel on my 85 S/S. Does anyone have any tech tips on this. Do I need an adapter, hard to get off etc...

Also,
I've replaced the plugs, rotor, cap, coil, and moved to electronic ignition. The carb is newer and my mechanic said he did adjust somewhat. My boat runs strong but really hard to start. Especially after its hot. The battery is newer turns over very strong. The alternator is new as well. Any thoughts on getting a better result when starting? The last thing I want to do is burn out the starter or put excess wear on the 27 year old fly wheel.

Thx-

Do a search on steering wheels. They seem to be the hot topic this week. If you buy a 5 bolt wheel you can just pull the allen bolts and throw on a new wheel in 5 min. If you go for a 6 bolt wheel you'll need either a new splined hub or an adapter plate.

I've got no advice on the hot starts...

DH9441
07-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Wonder is this will fit it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBA-Schmitt-Fantasy-Black-burlwood-trim-Boat-Steering-Wheel-marine-use-only-/190691404261?hash=item2c6617e9e5&item=190691404261&pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr

thatsmrmastercraft
07-23-2012, 01:27 PM

Cloaked
07-23-2012, 05:06 PM
Hi all,

Also,

Thx-Check your timing.

DH9441
07-23-2012, 07:46 PM
The PO sold the boat as having a new carb....but turns out he's not trust worthy. I've been fixing all his mess since I purchased it. I just had the timing set with the ignition upgrade. Odd thing though.. when I first bought it...the motor wld start up on the first turn of the key. However, it never ran right until I replaced all the above.

tph
07-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Wonder is this will fit it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBA-Schmitt-Fantasy-Black-burlwood-trim-Boat-Steering-Wheel-marine-use-only-/190691404261?hash=item2c6617e9e5&item=190691404261&pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr

It looks like you would need an adapter for that one. It has seven bolts.

tph
07-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Hi all,

If you stay in the Grant product line the changeout should be simple. If not, Grant makes a 5 to 6 bolt adapter that will allow you to install many 6 bolt models.

http://www.grantproducts.com/products/browse/steering-wheels/

DH9441
07-23-2012, 10:59 PM
Thanks!