PDA

View Full Version : Perfect pass vs. MC cruise

Jerseydave
08-28-2005, 09:10 AM
Thinking about some type of speed control, but price is a factor too.

I know perfectpass is the best, but my dealer suggested MC cruise.
My boat's a 230VRS, no slalom course use, some open slalom skiing behind it, but need more speed control for wakeboarding.

Will MC cruise hold boarding speeds within .5 mph or so? That would be nice for my driver (and me).

What can I expect to pay for MC cruise vs. perfectpass?

Thanks, and sorry if this was discussed before.

Dave

Amazongb
08-28-2005, 11:52 PM
I bought an '05 X10 this year, which came with MC Cruise. I had PP WB Pro on my '03 Tige. The MC Cruise isn't as intuitive as the PP. With PP, you set the speed, pull your rider and listen for a beep - when you hear it, you let go of the throttle. You can then increment up or down using the PP selector. The MC cruise has no beep and take some getting used to. I found that setting the speed, pulling the rider and waiting for a "lock" takes much, much longer than the PP beep. One other thing, my wife could use the PP no problem, and was not able to figure out the MC cruise, ever. So, I upgraded to PP WB Pro (the latest).

erkoehler
08-29-2005, 12:32 AM
Can you add MC cruise to any boat?

MYMC
08-29-2005, 09:34 AM
No only DBW boats.

Jerseydave
09-11-2005, 08:32 PM
Anyone else have experience with MC cruise?
I drove someones 197 last weekend with cruise, it seemed to work fairly well. I think PP holds speed a little tighter, though.
Would the MC cruise hold steady at wakeboard speed, 18-23 mph?
If it stays within .5 mph I would be happy.
Whats the cost of MC cruise? I have a 2003 230VRS. It should adapt easily to my boat, right?

erkoehler
09-11-2005, 08:34 PM
I was in a friends X9 that had MC cruise, and he used it for footin, slalom, and boarding. Didn't do any course skiing, so can't comment on that. Seemed to be pretty easy to adjust and use.

OhioX14
09-11-2005, 08:47 PM
We just purchased an '06 X9 with MC cruise and I used it just today for my son's wakeboard runs of 21 mph and it held fine within .3 when I glanced down several times to check. I've never had PP so I'm probably not spoiled, but this looks like it will work fine for us. Set, pull your skier/wakeboarder to speed and it feel pretty obvious when the cruise takes over.

BTW, you may want to check with your dealer, but I believe you have to have a throttle by wire engine (MCX, etc.) to use it.

Jerseydave
09-12-2005, 08:28 AM
Thanks, X9
I'd be happy with .3 mph fluctuation (better than most drivers can do)

rlwiley
09-12-2005, 10:13 AM
Thanks, X9
I'd be happy with .3 mph fluctuation (better than most drivers can do)
I just sold a 05 X-9 that had perfectpasspro and bought a 06 x-30 with the MC cruise. I am also going to install wakeboard pro this winter on the boat. The MC cruise holds a good speed if you are going straight for a while. It takes longer to recover the proper speed out of a turn than does the PP. I was much happier with the PP. my2cents.
BTW the fluctuation on mine is more like 1-3 MPH not the .3

bigmac
09-12-2005, 10:32 AM
How much is MasterCraft Cruise to install on your boat? Is it even possible to install on an 03 MCX?

I know that the MCX engine has always been capable of DBW (as advertised by Indmar) but I wasn't aware that the capability was implemented by MasterCraft until 2005 model year. Are you sure you can retrofit DBW to models prior to 2005?

I didn't even think about MasterCraft Cruise for my 2004 230VRS since I didn't think it was possble, and neither did my dealer. He ordered Wakeboard Pro for me for $1000 (with the MasterCraft PP gauge). He would have charged me about $200-$250 to install it. I did it myself in my boat lift and it was quite easy. Your 2003 already has the paddlewheel, and it has a plug-and-play harness behind the driver's kick panel. There is no splicing, no sorting out wires - the right connectors are already there under the right front seat cushion. The only caveat is that you do need to disconnect the pin (or cut the wire) that goes to the red wire in the harness or you will get an inaccurate water temperature signal. It's simple. In my 2004, that wire had already been de-pinned by MasterCraft - might not be the case in a 2003.

I really like Wakeboard Pro and highly recommend it. If MC Cruise is substantially cheaper (and possible) for parts and labor, then maybe I'd go for it instead, but I doubt you'd ever regret Perfect Pass.

edit: One other thing about PP is that it is easily programmable for paddlwheel sampling and for throttle-adjustment aggressiveness. This is nice because the locaction of the paddlewheel on Maristar hulls is suboptimal. It's nice to be able to change those settings to improve accuracy and accomodate the shortcomings imposed by the paddlewheel location relative to speed variations imposed by different water conditions. I don't know if MC Cruise can do that, but I'd sure want to find out if I were thinking about MC Cruise.