PDA

View Full Version : 87 Pro Star Issue

lakeview190
07-23-2012, 06:18 AM
For the past few years I have been chasing a problem with my 190. Basically it runs perfect for about 1 hour or until the engine gets really warm and then it starts really hard and basically runs awful. Always thought this was an ignition issue with the coil over heating, but I have put new plugs, new wires, cap rotor etc... and several new coils no luck. Wondering what I am missing, could this be a carb/fuel issue? When this happens you can smell a lot of unburned fuel going through the engine. If it did it all the time I think it would be much easier to figure out. Thanks for any help.

ctjahn
07-23-2012, 07:34 AM
A boat mechanic recently told me that Holly's leak when they get older and even the rebuild kits dont fix it unless done by a pro. I have read some Holly threads on TT but have no experience.

best of luck
cj

petermegan
07-23-2012, 08:00 AM
Is it possibly a vapour lock issue and flooding as you try to start it? Does it continue to run rough once it is warm? Is your motor getting enough fresh cool air on a hot day or suffocating under a stinking hot cover without much ventilation?

GMC190
07-23-2012, 04:57 PM
Sounds like same issue I have been having as well with my '87 prostar. Will be curious to see if someone can put a finger on it or knows what's up.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-23-2012, 05:04 PM
A boat mechanic recently told me that Holly's leak when they get older and even the rebuild kits dont fix it unless done by a pro. I have read some Holly threads on TT but have no experience.

best of luck
cj

Shaft seals wear and eventually create a vacuum leak. Very few people ever replace these.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-23-2012, 05:06 PM
If you are still running points, how do you set them? Are you using a dwell meter or going simply with a gap measurement?

lakeview190
07-23-2012, 05:28 PM
I am still running points, but I usually have a mechanic set them so I am not sure how he does it. I guess my main question is could something be changing in the carb due to it getting warm/hot. Even after it starts it runs really bad sputtering and missing even at high RPMs. Thanks for the comments and help.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Nothing wrong with points, as long as they are set properly and check often.

The carb could be in need of a rebuild. There are gaskets and o-rings that dry out. How long since it was last rebuilt?

ahhudgins
07-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Have you checked to make sure the choke plate is wide open after the engine heats up?
How hot is the engine getting according to your gauge?