PDA

View Full Version : Hit a log today : (

rem_pss308
07-22-2012, 11:41 PM
But its all good no harm to the Mastercraft. ( thank you God )

Weve had a lot of water causing the Suwannee river to rise quickly. it went down about four feet this week, and I havent seen much debis. so figured i would give it a try.
after being on a plane for about 5 min. constantly looking for stuff in the water. I hit something I couldnt see. it knocked the boat pretty bad. I shut the throttle. looking back to see what we hit. It took about 2 minutes before I could see what we hit. I slowly idled back to what it was. and when I seen it my heart sunk. it was a tree about 25 feet long, and big enough I couldnt put my arms around it to tie something to it to mark it.
There was a nice gash in it from what looked like my tracking fin. the gash went about 2 inches deep into the tree, and ran about 12 inches over it.
I swam down under my boat and things seemed ok. so I tried it on a plane again. it ran good. no vibrations. no steering problems. and no leaks.

I was really looking for stuff in the water. but this big guy only sat about an inch out of the water on one end. and was very hard to see.

hope yall had a good weekend. be careful.

hewlett6621
07-23-2012, 03:09 AM
Sounds like a close call. I have the same problem in the river we use. After a bit of rain upstream a bit of debrie always comes down. I am so happy you have no damage . Sounds scary though.

soacj
07-23-2012, 06:08 AM
I had a similar experience today but was not lucky enough to escape unscathed. We're down
at a relative's place on the Chowan River in NC and hit something while surfing. Heard a thunk on the hull but never saw what I'm assuming was a small log or branch floating right beneath the surface. When we returned to the house, I went diving and can feel a nice curl on the tip of one of the blades. No vibrations felt but I have not run the revs up beyond surf speed since it happened.