PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Pass Alternative

Romaswake
07-22-2012, 10:07 PM
Hi guys!

After installing my ballast system on my 2004 Maristar 210, i find it very difficult keeping a consistant speed when pulling a boarder! it has no trouble getting out of the hole and what not but i cant keep her from slowing down or speeding up without toggling the trottle the whole session. I have been pretty sucuessful with runnin about 28-29RPM but i would really like to just be able to hit a switch and whala! perfect speed... I've been looking it to Perfect Passes since they are really the only brand that has a speed assistant like this but am just killed by the price.. 1200 for a GPS pefect pass. are there any competeing brands with
PP that offer a reliable speed control??? Thanks guys!

sand2snow22
07-22-2012, 11:05 PM
Call Cary and see what he can do for you. I'm upgrading my 2011 BU to GPS. Malibu Cruise doesn't hold Speed well at waterski speeds. Surges. RPM mode works well, but my hope is his $257 upgrade will solve my problem....

http://www.nauticlaugic.com/

Romaswake
07-23-2012, 08:48 PM
but does that keep it at a steady speed you set it at?

sand2snow22
07-23-2012, 09:21 PM
but does that keep it at a steady speed you set it at?

That's the idea....

Romaswake
07-24-2012, 02:38 PM
hahaha, but after i browsed the site for a little it seemed that there was no way to have an actual set point, just a GPS speedometer

sand2snow22
07-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Yeah, you need an existing cruise control I think. Still worth a phone call. Tell Cary you will try out his 'new' cruise control on your boat :)

rgardjr1
07-24-2012, 03:24 PM
Call Cary and see what he can do for you. I'm upgrading my 2011 BU to GPS. Malibu Cruise doesn't hold Speed well at waterski speeds. Surges. RPM mode works well, but my hope is his $257 upgrade will solve my problem....

http://www.nauticlaugic.com/

Make sure that you provide feedback on the nautilogic setup. Everything I've read has been very positive. I was thinking about adding this to my boat because of surging issues I struggled with last summer. Turned out that I had problems with some of the wires in one of the harnesses that plugged into the PP brain. On a side note, we're up at Priest this week. I was down at Indian Creek yesterday and it looked like a bomb went off. I hope your family's place weathered the storm-it was the worst damage I've seen up here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Romaswake
07-24-2012, 08:30 PM
I've been looking into the Hydrophase Ridesteady and it looks like a great deal! I've also found a couple reviews and they all seem great! Anyone have any experience with them!?

ricford
07-24-2012, 09:14 PM
Perfect Pass makes a RPM based system that is only in the $675 range. I am planning that install next year. For most of what we do, holding steady RPM will suffice.

JRW160
07-24-2012, 09:32 PM
Have you adjusted the NN and KDW on your perfect pass?

sand2snow22
07-24-2012, 11:26 PM
Make sure that you provide feedback on the nautilogic setup. Everything I've read has been very positive. I was thinking about adding this to my boat because of surging issues I struggled with last summer. Turned out that I had problems with some of the wires in one of the harnesses that plugged into the PP brain. On a side note, we're up at Priest this week. I was down at Indian Creek yesterday and it looked like a bomb went off. I hope your family's place weathered the storm-it was the worst damage I've seen up here.

Cabin took a glancing blow :( New deck took a direct hit :( We are supposed to head up there on Aug. 3rd but not looking good. What are you hearing as far as time frame and the power back on. Guy in the Tundra was killed on our road :(

rgardjr1
07-25-2012, 04:51 PM
Cabin took a glancing blow :( New deck took a direct hit :( We are supposed to head up there on Aug. 3rd but not looking good. What are you hearing as far as time frame and the power back on. Guy in the Tundra was killed on our road :(

Sorry to hear that you guys got hit so hard. We got power back Monday night at my place in Huckleberry Bay (mile marker 15) and at my wife's parent place in Diamond Park (mile marker 12). They had power at the campground early in the day on Monday, but I'm not sure how far into Capehorn it went. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you guys. It's been a big eye opener for a lot of people around here just thinking about being trapped on the Eastshore Rd if you were on your way up during the storm.

sand2snow22
07-25-2012, 11:12 PM
I hear power is back at the cabin and cleanup is underway. My cousin and Aunt and Uncle should be there this weekend. If you drive by say hello. They are good peeps. I am sure he would probably say no, but offer to pull my cousin since he will be boat less. He was supposed to pick up the boat today, but it looks like I will be taking it up there Aug 3.

rgardjr1
07-26-2012, 10:30 PM
I drove down to Indian Creek to get some gas this morning. While I was there I drove down the Cape Horn Road. There were some spots that looked pretty bad. This section had 6 brand new power poles. 82069

sand2snow22
07-27-2012, 12:47 AM
Looks bad. I'm hearing 2 of the 5 in the truck have died. Other 3 are still in the hospital. Tree guy estimated over 1,000 trees went down in the area! Every boat in our bay that wasn't on a lift, sunk....

jjdyn0mite
07-29-2012, 11:16 PM
I installed a ridesteady this winter and I've been very happy with it. I used it for the paddlewheel (we are on a dammed up river with a current, so it's more accurate than GPS). Install was a bit tricky, but not too tough. I think it was like $700 or $800. Glad I did it.

Romaswake
07-30-2012, 10:58 AM
What made the install tricky?

-V-
08-02-2012, 11:32 AM
did you take photos of the install of the ridesteady? I am thinking about going that way too.

memphis23
08-07-2012, 05:28 PM
yes I would like to know what made it tricky as well thinking of putting one in myself

Romaswake
08-11-2012, 01:07 PM
I got mine in the mail today, hopefully will be installing it soon, but am not sure because of the repairs my boat needs... might just be time for a new boat all together.

-V-
07-06-2013, 12:24 PM
any updates?

Traxx822
07-06-2013, 12:47 PM
I installed a ridesteady this winter and I've been very happy with it. I used it for the paddlewheel (we are on a dammed up river with a current, so it's more accurate than GPS). Install was a bit tricky, but not too tough. I think it was like $700 or $800. Glad I did it.

The next item on my upgrade list is a WS420 and very soon after PP. But after reading this thread there is this one post quoted that sticks out for me, maybe you guys can assist.

Why would a paddlewheel be more accurate on the river because of current. Ok, I get the physics of it, as it is almost no different than airspeed in a plane. The combined current speed and boats speed would produce the same wake no matter which direction you were going and what speed across the water. So its pretty interesting.

My question about the paddlewheel is, does it take a beating from debris? What are the shortsides vs GPS units?

In reality then on the river a GPS unit would have to be tweaked almost everytime out there since current is always changing as well as direction. The paddlewheel would eliminate that. Set it up like normal, set the speed and no matter if you turn around or go around the bend where current is stronger it would stay the same speed. Correct?

TxsRiverRat
07-06-2013, 01:32 PM
I can say on rivers for who know what reason, the anual speedos always get clogged...

$1200 for a PP in the gerand scheme of things is not bad - especially when my skicost new more than that... :)

Plus it saves friendships and marriages LOL

Time to go gre prepped to get on the brazos...

I'll try to get a video or 2...

rgardjr1
07-08-2013, 01:34 PM
I installed a Nauticlogic that I bought off the classified section this winter. It replaces the paddle wheel based speed input with a GPS based one on our Perfect Pass Wakeboard Edition. Install was plug and play-the most difficult part was running the wire for the GPS antenna. It works great and our PP has been holding +/- .1 mph so far.