PDA

View Full Version : Nose clip or ???

JohnnyB
07-22-2012, 03:11 PM
With the record warmth and draught conditions, our blue-green algae is thriving. I am allergic to the stuff and congested for days after skiing.

In the past, I have taped my nostrils with med tape and left an easy pull tab to ditch it when I am up.

Anyone have any luck with nose clips for barefoot and/or deepwater starts?

Anyone have other ideas?

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

barefoot
07-22-2012, 03:44 PM
I, too, get congested for days if I don't wear a nose plug for deeps. Water in my sinuses always kills me. I wear a cheap nose plug that I got from some big box retailer. Never had a problem with it falling off.

I like your idea of medical tape...I think I'll give that a try the next time out

atlfootr
07-22-2012, 05:03 PM
Been using the stuff since the wheel, only thing that holds up when wet!

JohnnyB
07-22-2012, 05:45 PM
Been using the stuff since the wheel, only thing that holds up when wet!

Rob.....what is this stuff? Did u forget a link or picture here?

madcityskier
07-22-2012, 06:47 PM
Buddy of mine started wearing one of those generic nose plugs that 5 year holds wear at the pool. That way he can pop it off and let it dangle once he's up, allowing him to breath normally. It is now officially dubbed the nerd necklace.

http://m.swimoutlet.com/product_p/36688.htm

davidstan
07-22-2012, 07:24 PM
I wear a nerd necklace because the other option is congestion sat nite and sun. Very much made fun of by the fam but oh well. I use the standard one piece in the flesh colored rubber but still very obvious.

mikeg205
07-22-2012, 11:03 PM
I also use a nasal rinse after I ski in the illinois river... This is the product http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&tok=7Ldm5iL49c8gF-1Fd-I4mg&cp=7&gs_id=g&xhr=t&q=nasal+rinse&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&ion=1&biw=1092&bih=514&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=8266084968641630216&sa=X&ei=gr4MUNHaLZK20QG3_NTJAw&sqi=2&ved=0CFcQ8gIwAQ

takes a little getting used to...but works like a dream...use it right after you ski...little gross shooting water up your left nostril and then it leaking out your right and then the other side. When I don't do this I am congested for days as well...also take pseudoephdrine 12 hour right after you ski...works for me and my allergies are killers.

good luck.

skibrain
07-23-2012, 12:58 AM
http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/3951.htm

My daughter was a synchronized swimmer in HS. I borrowed one of these clips from her about 8 years ago and have been using them since. Also cuts down on snoring - or so says my wife.

I clip on the underside of my nose instead of over the bridge.

harleygirl
07-23-2012, 09:14 AM
My husband gets this way everytime he skis. However, he won't wear anything over his nose. Instead he uses a Netty Pot to clean out his sinuses after getting out of the water. Works everytime. And for those of you who don't know what a Netty Pot is. It is the most horrible feeling of drowning. Its a small tea pot looking thing, that gets filled with a saline wash, you hold it to one nostril and tip your head sideways and dump it in, and it runs out the other side, as long as you breath through your mouth. And then siwtch and do the other side. It is the strangest feeling in the world, but it works great. Also works if you have a sinus infection, instead of running to the doctor. Gets a litlle messy, so the best time to do it is in the shower.

mwg
07-23-2012, 09:39 AM
Be careful with Neti Pots or any other nasal rinse. There have been many reports of deaths due to amoeba infection.

macattack
07-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Sounds like you guys routinely get your sinus' full...I would be more concerned about the ameba that is found in warmer water this time of year that enters through your nose to your brain...definitely wear a nose clip.

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria/faqs.html

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=19627&highlight=amoeba

barefoot
07-23-2012, 10:11 AM
Netty Pots haven't worked for me. Tried them repeatedly before I started using a nose plug, but it wouldn't cut through all the stuff in my sinuses.

harleygirl
07-23-2012, 11:40 AM
OMG. I have not heard that.

barefoot
07-23-2012, 11:46 AM
I know....I don't understand it either. I've had several people try it on me. One of their techniques had to worked. In the end, I'm still clogged up.

JohnnyB
07-26-2012, 11:26 PM
Skied at least 1/2 dozen barefoot deep ups tonight w nose clips.....breathing fine hours later :D

zsqure
09-05-2012, 07:12 AM
I will have to try the nose clip thing. The last two times have come up with sinus full of water. Nasty and stuffed up, unable to sleep for the next three days. Maybe I should keep my head down?

davidstan
09-05-2012, 10:00 AM
I will have to try the nose clip thing. The last two times have come up with sinus full of water. Nasty and stuffed up, unable to sleep for the next three days. Maybe I should keep my head down?

Been there. Nose clips the cure if you can take the riducule.