PDA

View Full Version : 1995 ps 205 sputtering after 15 minutes

jjdyn0mite
07-22-2012, 02:58 PM
Background: my boat was running better than ever about 2 weeks ago. At te end of the day, as I was heading in, volts started dropping and temp slowly started rising. I parked it opened the dog house and found that my alternator had fallen off the block. The bolts had sheared, bracket was intact. I didn't have the time or tools to get the bolts out so I took it down the road to a boat mechanic. He replaced the bolts and put a new alternator on. After that I took it out and it ran great for about 15 minutes, then started sputtering. It will run all day at idle but if you give it gas for a few minutes, it sputters again.

I took it back to him and he went through the fuel system and cleaned out the pump and lines or whatever. Yesterday we took it back out and it ran great for about three hours at all speeds and loads, then started doing it again and we are back to about 10-15 minutes before sputtering starts.

I'm frustrated. Not sure if it's a fuel problem (new fuel pump?), or if it's an electrical problem related to the new alternator. Unfortunately there is no mastercraft dealer within three hours or so and I don't have time to get it there and back anytime soon. Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot? Motor is the TBI GM 350 indmar.

Thanks

ricford
07-22-2012, 08:16 PM
I am guessing that it's electrical. It's to coincidental that you're having problems right after replacing the alternator. If it fell off while underway it could have damaged the cables. Check for damage as well as tightness of connections, especially the ground connection to the block.

mikeg205
07-23-2012, 12:14 AM
I would check to make sure the ground is right. Some pictures would be helpful. I would really like to see the sheared bolts. I have a 95 205 as well and just replaced the alternator. Which alternator was installed make model in yours? How hot did your motor get?

When it sputters were you able to look at your injectors when the boat sputters? May need to have a local mechanic see if there are any codes stored in the ECM... JimN may have better insight or JMCR...

I am still puzzled how the bolts sheared off...and the alternator falling from mount... did it seize up?

jjdyn0mite
07-23-2012, 10:04 AM
Yeah I'll take some pictures shortly because I'm not sure what he replaced the alternator with. I didn't get any pics of the sheared bolts unfortunately and I'm not sure how it happened, I.e. seized alternator or what. It didn't get too hot because it must have happened right as I was heading in (maybe 180ish). What kind of computer can you hook the ECM up to, just a GM auto mechanic computer? Thanks for the replies I will update with pics when I get a chance.

I should mention that before the new alternator I was running at 12.9-13 volts. Since then it runs at 14-14.4 volts.

mikeg205
07-24-2012, 12:43 AM
My local mechanic (He repairs all makes and models) can read and reset codes on my TBI. You're old voltage readings indicate something was wrong with it, but the sheared bolts have me puzzled.

When it sputters, will it do it often enough to where you can take the time to see your injectors not spray?

It could be unrelated but, have you ever cleaned the screen at the base of the fuel pump? When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

I added a NAPA 3003 in line fuel filter before the fuel pump - its clear plastic so you can easily inspect.

http://napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx?Ntt%3dfilter%2b3003%26Ntk%3dKeyword%26 Nty%3d1%26Dn%3d0%26D%3dfilter%2b3003%26Dk%3d1%26Dp %3d3%26N%3d0

Only things I can think and I would trouble shoot.

pram
07-24-2012, 12:49 AM
If after he cleaned out the fuel system you got approx 3 hours out of it again I would hazard to guess that you have contamination in your tank.

The tank in my 95 was disgusting inside

jjdyn0mite
07-24-2012, 10:21 PM
The fuel tank and filters were checked and totally cleaned before the season. The local mechanic says he only has computers for mercruiser. I'm not sure how to check the screens on the fuel pump. I assume the pump is the black thing that the main fuel line goes into with the two metal lines coming out which then go to the TBI. It sounds like that was what the guy did and it ran well for a while, so maybe I should try that. Any tips for trying that? I don't mind spending money to fix it but I don't know of anyone who can fix it around here. The nearest dealer is 3-4 hours away. I feel like if I just keep throwing money at it, I could just have put a new engine in it...

mikeg205
07-25-2012, 12:14 AM
cleaning the screen on the fuel pump is super easy. turn off the fuel supply at the tank and put a towel under the fuel pump. have a fire extinguisher at hand. disconnect the fuel line at the base of the pump. spray gum out at that screen and let the scum drain out. Re-tighten carefully. The flared fitting does not need a lot of torque to seal.

Took all of 30 minutes to do with a new fuel filter.

mikeg205
08-26-2012, 02:34 PM
The fuel tank and filters were checked and totally cleaned before the season. The local mechanic says he only has computers for mercruiser. I'm not sure how to check the screens on the fuel pump. I assume the pump is the black thing that the main fuel line goes into with the two metal lines coming out which then go to the TBI. It sounds like that was what the guy did and it ran well for a while, so maybe I should try that. Any tips for trying that? I don't mind spending money to fix it but I don't know of anyone who can fix it around here. The nearest dealer is 3-4 hours away. I feel like if I just keep throwing money at it, I could just have put a new engine in it...

did you ever figure out what the problem was?