Goinbroke
07-21-2012, 11:53 PM
Has any skied both of these boats?
Was there a noticeable difference?

I Love to ski but need a family boat.

any help would be much appreciated.

JohnE
07-22-2012, 08:13 AM
Wakes should be similar as the hulls are identical. 14V weighs more so wake will be slightly larger. I drove the 14V at the factory and I wouldn't trade the layout of the DD for the V. With the DD people get to spread out. The V puts everyone in a small circle. Thats just my opinion and I'm in the minority I believe.

2RLAKE
07-22-2012, 09:04 AM
footed behind mine many times and my neighbor's V a couple of times ... not much difference. Friends told me the ski wake was almost the same ... will be slightly bigger because of the v-drive but most wont notice

CruisinGA
07-22-2012, 09:16 AM
Wakes should be similar as the hulls are identical. 14V weighs more so wake will be slightly larger. I drove the 14V at the factory and I wouldn't trade the layout of the DD for the V. With the DD people get to spread out. The V puts everyone in a small circle. Thats just my opinion and I'm in the minority I believe.

FWIW I'm on the same page with the DD vs V drive layout...

Double D
07-22-2012, 09:53 AM
I recently rode in a 214 DD but never got to wakeboard, due to some unfortunate driving :) , but I did notice how much space the seating provided and with 4 adults and 2 kids their was plenty room for more. The big thing I don't like about the V model is how the engine covers have to sit so high above the back. To me they jambed a v-drive engine in a low profile stern of a direct drive and it just doesn't look right... IMO

Sent from Never Neverland using my iPhone 4 on Tapatalk

captain planet
07-22-2012, 10:02 PM
I recently rode in a 214 DD but never got to wakeboard, due to some unfortunate driving :) , but I did notice how much space the seating provided and with 4 adults and 2 kids their was plenty room for more. The big thing I don't like about the V model is how the engine covers have to sit so high above the back. To me they jambed a v-drive engine in a low profile stern of a direct drive and it just doesn't look right... IMO

Sent from Never Neverland using my iPhone 4 on Tapatalk

They used to be lower until Ilmor came along.

eficalibrator
07-23-2012, 10:24 AM
I have a ps214 and skied the 214v before I bought this one. Everyone has a preference on seating vs engine position. Obviously, V-drives give you more room in the middle, but we LOVE having the rear facing lounge seat behind the driver on our DD. It's the best seat in the house.

Wakeboard wake is decent on both models, but a little "soft" compared to other dedicated V-drives. I like the mushy landing for when I case it on a wake to wake.

For slalom, get the DD. If you want to run the course, the V-drive sucks unless your name is Marcus Brown and can ski short line to get inside of the plateau/bump. At 15off, the 214v feels like other v-drives with a noticeable up-flat-down plateau that upsets the ski twice per crossing. This makes it a tough way to go if you're still trying to learn course skiing. The slalom wake on the 214dd is narrower, more forgiving and softer at 15 off and 30mph. It only gets better as you speed up. There's a small bump at 22off, but it's nowhere near as bad as the old 19' boats used to be there.

With an Ilmor 5.7 and powerslot, mine tops out around 43mph at 900' elevation. The low end torque is crazy. We don't need anywhere near WOT to pull up a 200# slalom skier.

Goinbroke
07-23-2012, 04:19 PM
I have a ps214 and skied the 214v before I bought this one. Everyone has a preference on seating vs engine position. Obviously, V-drives give you more room in the middle, but we LOVE having the rear facing lounge seat behind the driver on our DD. It's the best seat in the house.

Wakeboard wake is decent on both models, but a little "soft" compared to other dedicated V-drives. I like the mushy landing for when I case it on a wake to wake.

For slalom, get the DD. If you want to run the course, the V-drive sucks unless your name is Marcus Brown and can ski short line to get inside of the plateau/bump. At 15off, the 214v feels like other v-drives with a noticeable up-flat-down plateau that upsets the ski twice per crossing. This makes it a tough way to go if you're still trying to learn course skiing. The slalom wake on the 214dd is narrower, more forgiving and softer at 15 off and 30mph. It only gets better as you speed up. There's a small bump at 22off, but it's nowhere near as bad as the old 19' boats used to be there.

With an Ilmor 5.7 and powerslot, mine tops out around 43mph at 900' elevation. The low end torque is crazy. We don't need anywhere near WOT to pull up a 200# slalom skier.

Thanks a TON!
very helpful
I'm starting my search for a 214!

sully
07-23-2012, 07:46 PM
The one thing I have found that's really nice about the DD version and it's seating layout that it is really easy to help new skiers/boarders get their equipment on.

AZX9
07-23-2012, 11:55 PM
JohnE's 214 is for sale and it's a gorgeous boat. Chech out the for sale section.

93Prostar190
07-24-2012, 07:05 AM
The engine in the middle makes for a much better slalom boat for abeast of this size ..... We bought an 2008 and never looked back ..... Very versatile boat.the only thing it doesn't do well is create a surf wake .... Other than that a 214 DD is tough to beat.

I also feel that we have more interior space than most boats with doghouse in the middle and our storage is just expansive .....

DoubleD ... The front fin replacement and prop are doing great here at Norris. Wish you were here, I still owe you a pull!

Double D
07-24-2012, 08:37 AM
The engine in the middle makes for a much better slalom boat for abeast of this size ..... We bought an 2008 and never looked back ..... Very versatile boat.the only thing it doesn't do well is create a surf wake .... Other than that a 214 DD is tough to beat.

I also feel that we have more interior space than most boats with doghouse in the middle and our storage is just expansive .....

DoubleD ... The front fin replacement and prop are doing great here at Norris. Wish you were here, I still owe you a pull!

Glad to hear its all back to normal and no extra damage was done.

captain planet
07-24-2012, 08:37 AM

Glad to hear its all back to normal and no extra damage was done.

Sorry I was unavailable for consultation.

eficalibrator
07-24-2012, 02:14 PM
.the only thing it doesn't do well is create a surf wake ....

I forgot to mention that too. I find it almost impossible to get a decent surf wake on my 214dd. No matter how I shift the weight/people around, the "sweet spot" remains about 3" wide and difficult to find. Throwing the rope just doesn't want to happen for a 200# surfer and ~1000# of ballast/people.

That said, it's a tradeoff I gladly take to have the better slalom wake. I didn't surf the 214v and didn't really care after the slalom run.

nauti-dreamer
07-24-2012, 03:01 PM
We have an '07 214 DD. Can't go wrong with the layout and space for a crowd of recreational skiers and for entertaining with family & friends.

And when they are all tired and sore, I unload some weight (spectators, gear, and cooler) find the wake I'm happy with. It may not be the wake of a 190 or 197 but it's a close 2nd given the size and added weight inherent with a boat this size.

JohnE
07-24-2012, 06:01 PM
We have an '07 214 DD. Can't go wrong with the layout and space for a crowd of recreational skiers and for entertaining with family & friends.

And when they are all tired and sore, I unload some weight (spectators, gear, and cooler) find the wake I'm happy with. It may not be the wake of a 190 or 197 but it's a close 2nd given the size and added weight inherent with a boat this size.

Having had a 197 I can say the wake isn't far off.