PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the 209

barefoot
07-21-2012, 01:13 PM
What can you tell me about the 209? Don't know much about the boat...saw one this past weekend and stopped to admire.

Curious about:

* When was it introduced/retired?
* Specs
* Engine & tranny options
* Wake
* Options
* etc

What can you share?

JohnE
07-21-2012, 05:45 PM
All off the top of my head so someone will correct me I'm sure. Introduced in 2002 I believe and production ended in 2006 as the 214 replaced it as a mid season release in 2007. Same engine options as the others. Which would be the predator and LQ-9 in the early years and the RTP/ MCX/ LY6 in the later years. Slot was available. If I were betting Id say that it began as a 1.52:1 and later was 1.23:1 ratio. V bottom boat that didn't have the best slalom wake though a lot of guys here say it is under rated. That's all I got for now.

barefoot
07-21-2012, 11:18 PM
From what I'm seeing, it came out in 2001 and was replaced by the 214 in '07. Man, I love the 214, but you can pick the 209 up for half the price!

Any first hand knowledge about the wake from anyone?

CruisinGA
07-21-2012, 11:18 PM
LTR 330 is pretty common as well.

Big boat for a direct drive. In my opinion (I have one) great all round boat for the family that likes to do other things as well as wakeboard. I barefoot behind mine weekly, surf it occasionally, wakeboard pretty much every weekend. I've had better slalom wakes, but also much worse.

I have no desire to have anything else! Great boat for us, put 300 pretty much trouble free hrs on it in 2 years

AZX9
07-22-2012, 03:15 AM
The wake is wide. Jumping wake to wake is pretty much out without a really short rope.

CruisinGA
07-22-2012, 08:55 AM
The wake is wide. Jumping wake to wake is pretty much out without a really short rope.

Not a problem for this guy... Just ride at 22.

Myself and the couple guys I rode with don't have any problem wake to wake, tantrums, back rolls, scare crows etc etc.
Nothing crazy but plent of fun!

kskonn
07-22-2012, 09:50 AM
My limited experience is that the wake is not any wider than other mastercrafts wakes. Actually wakeboards well with some weight and the slalom wake was pretty good for free skiing.

Footin
07-22-2012, 10:23 AM
I would love to own a 209, I will be selling my 205 and looking for a 209/X9 in the next year or two.

JBrew
07-22-2012, 10:40 AM
Not a problem for this guy... Just ride at 22.

Myself and the couple guys I rode with don't have any problem wake to wake, tantrums, back rolls, scare crows etc etc.
Nothing crazy but plent of fun!

Agreed... Learned to board behind it and now doing many advanced tricks w2w at 75ft 22mph

east tx skier
07-22-2012, 10:46 AM
I have spent a good deal of time skiing behind a 2005 209. From my recollection, the hull was based on a Maristar. From skiing it, I believe it. To put it mildly, this was not the "fanatics with families" design that the 205 was. My friend who owned it sold it and bought a 197. He is much happier now. I recall its being absolutely enormous inside. So lots of room for carting people around. But it really didn't ski very well in my opinion.

kskonn
07-22-2012, 11:51 AM
I would love to own a 209, I will be selling my 205 and looking for a 209/X9 in the next year or two.

Do you need more space? In my opinion the 205 hull does everything better, except space.

Footin
07-22-2012, 12:04 PM
Do you need more space? In my opinion the 205 hull does everything better, except space.

Love my 205, but yes more space, better in rough water and want to surf more.

I really do not ski anymore, just foot sometimes and wakeboard the most.

kskonn
07-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Ahhh, then the 209 makes sense

barefoot
07-22-2012, 09:30 PM
That's a dilemma...I'd like more space, but I still want a skiable wake. I don't need to wakeboard and I would prefer a boat without a tower. My in-laws have the surfing boat so I don't need one. I want enough room for the family, a boat that goes 40mph in a straight line, and a wake that's flat...

Was the early 2000 the time of bad interior, i.e., ripping at the seams?

captain planet
07-22-2012, 09:45 PM
I have spent a good deal of time skiing behind a 2005 209. From my recollection, the hull was based on a Maristar. From skiing it, I believe it. To put it mildly, this was not the "fanatics with families" design that the 205 was. My friend who owned it sold it and bought a 197. He is much happier now. I recall its being absolutely enormous inside. So lots of room for carting people around. But it really didn't ski very well in my opinion.

The running surface was based off of the MariStar 210, so slalom wasn't/isn't that great.

TXX9
07-22-2012, 10:02 PM
We have had our 06 X9 since mid 2009. Great boat for the design. No problems of any kind. As for room, yes there is lots of space, but not much seating, especially when you have the rear seat up in the sun deck position to have the rear ballast full, which is the way we run it when wake boarding. There are lots of threads discussing it's crossover ability, I agree that it is a great crossover and can do lots of things well. Yes there are boats that perform specific functions better, but not many that do them all as well.

My 13 year old can jump wake to wake easily with his rope as short as it will go.

We will be swapping the X9 for an 05-08 X-Star in the near future. It is certainly nothing against the X9, it is just that 90% of what we do is wakeboard, we need the seating capacity of the star vs the 9, and I want a pickle fork.

barefoot
07-22-2012, 10:21 PM
That's a great looking boat!

02ProstarSammyD
07-22-2012, 10:22 PM
Not sure where the talk of can't go wake to wake came from. I'm a noob and can w2w on mine @ 70 & 20mph on wakeboard and wakeskate. Its a nice roomy boat compared to other mc dd's and def compared to other brands I've been in. The boat throws a great wake but loves front weight. The only problem with that is it does ride really low in the front so you have to get used to driving it loaded up front. We actually surfed mine for the first time this weekend and was much more impressed than I thought I was going to be.

As for the rear ballast I run a tube sac below the seat, one in the rear compartment, one in the front floor, and one in the center locker. That gives around 1500lbs which it seems to like alot and still leaves seating for 7-8 comfortably.

CruisinGA
07-22-2012, 10:55 PM
I will say this- of you run a lot of weight in the rear, and nothing much in the front, it will get wide, but I think this is true for most boats.

barefoot
07-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Would a hull hook or a plate make the wake better for skiing?

east tx skier
07-23-2012, 11:03 AM
I think, at some point, they hooked the 209 from the factory (maybe by 2004). I could easily be wrong though. If that's the case, I can't say if it made it better. But it didn't make it great by comparison to what you're used to.

erkoehler
07-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Would a hull hook or a plate make the wake better for skiing?

You don't want a 209 if your still footing alot. And yes 2001-2004/2005 had interior issues.

Warner5150
07-23-2012, 12:40 PM
I would have to admit that the 209 doesn't put out the best slalom wake but I consistently run short rope at 34 with no issues. It has been a great family boat. I however wouldn't mind an X-14.

barefoot
07-23-2012, 02:46 PM
Thanks Erik for setting me straight.

barefoot
07-23-2012, 02:49 PM
Actually, thanks everyone for the info!

Fast50dad
07-23-2012, 03:28 PM
We have an 03 209 our first MC. I was able to surf with no ballast off the wake. Pulled my wife skiing at 20mph and the wake was wide and big. She doesn't like going faster to get her ski to plane and it looked miserable. I've had 12 people in it and it is tight. Great all around boat for our family. Would love an X15 in the future. TT members are spot on with previous posts about the 209.

Eric, what are the interior issues? I'd like to head them off prior to finding out what they are myself.

barefoot
07-24-2012, 10:35 AM
From what I hear, most mfg had issues with interior ripping at the seams during those years. Probably due to changing of components to make the vinyl.

barefoot
07-24-2012, 10:37 AM
Here's a thread highlighting the problem... (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=10936&highlight=seat+ripping)

JBrew
07-24-2012, 11:25 AM
You don't want a 209 if your still footing alot. And yes 2001-2004/2005 had interior issues.

Foot behind ours every weekend. Long-line wake crossing and all. No a problem, obviously the wake is larger than a S&S, 190, or 197 but its nothing to fret about.

Fast50dad
07-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Here's a thread highlighting the problem... (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=10936&highlight=seat+ripping)

Thanks barefoot!

AZX9
07-24-2012, 11:29 PM
My 2003 has immaculate interior. It has a lip on the bottom trailing edge of the hull "hook?". I still say the wake is wide. It was the first thing I noticed coming from a vdrive. I had nine in the boat on memorial weekend and was tight at times. Two up front four in the back three across the middle.

curtish
07-25-2012, 12:26 AM
Our '01 has one tiny tear on the bottom of the cushion in the back. Otherwise perfect. I think care has alot to do with it. Anyhow, we love ours. Ski, wakeboard, surf, whatever. And plenty of room.

curtish
07-25-2012, 08:44 PM
Also forgot to mention that it did porpoise a bit the first year or two. Had the dealer add the "hook" to the transom and it seemed to fix the problem. If we have a ton of weight in the rear and really boogey it might bounce a little. If we have a full boat and want to really move out, we'll just sit someone in the bow. Also we always keep the front seat storage packed, which helps (tubes and crap that we never use). Haven't really noticed it in the last few years, come to think of it. I would not recommend getting the rudder with the trim cross on it (not sure of the correct term). I have heard that it kills your performance.

Jerseydave
07-25-2012, 09:07 PM
2 years ago I saw a red/white one in PA and the owner claimed it had a 502 chevy in it! If I ever see that guy again, I'll get a look under the motor box (which was extra big BTW)
Maybe I can take a barefoot run behind her too! I'll be out in that area this friday, maybe I'll see the guy.

aswinter05
07-25-2012, 09:11 PM
I've owned my 2004 Prostar 209 for about two weeks now. Before I owned the ProStar, I had a 21 ft. Sea Ray Sport. Most people on the forums will describe the 209's wake as "HUGE" when actually it's not. However, if you are a "hardcore" slalom skier, then yes, maybe it is HUGE to you. It honestly depends what length of line you are skiing at. Take a look at my picture below. The wake definitely tapers towards the stern. If you ski at 75ft or 15 ft off, you will experience a slight bump and a wider wake. Anything beyond 15 off and you are going to be very very pleased with this wake.

Another great thing about the boat, is that the storage and capacity is excellent! 8 people can ride in the boat with their own seat and not be uncomfortable. The beam is nice and wide and makes you feel like you have tons of room.

The boat looks AMAZING sitting in the water. Also, if you wakeboard, the 209 has a very impressive wake at slower speeds even without adding a balast!

Someone in this thread described the boat as a V-Drive when it definitely is NOT. This is a direct drive boat and supposedly it's the largest direct drive that is 3-ski tournament approved.

I have the smallest engine that you can get with the 2004 ProStar 209 and I can assure you that it is sufficient for anything you need. It's the Indmar 5.7 Predator with 310 HP.

Bottom line.... if you ONLY slalom ski AND that's the only reason you are buying a MasterCraft, you may want to look at other models. However, if you like being social on your boat, have kids, enjoy letting others tube and wakeboard, etc... this is your MasterCraft to own. Don't let anyone tell you the boat isn't good for slalom skiing because thats not true. You will be very pleased with the wake once you find the G-spot.

02ProstarSammyD
07-25-2012, 09:17 PM
the 209 has a very impressive wake at slower speeds even without adding a balast!

Its very lippy to me at slower speeds. Some people who ride like it some hate it to death and like more rampy.

gid
07-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Thoughts anyone? Boat has appox 400hr on it. I would love a newer boat that was more civil that my 72'. I dont ski, ever, wake board maybe twice a year. I would use the boat to go Downtown for dinners and general cruising around. I only have a ski boat as I like the sound and performance

http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/boa/3151370277.html

aswinter05
07-26-2012, 10:57 AM
The only thing I don't like is the year of the boat. It's beautiful, however, I've heard several people talk about the 209's "porpoising" problem that wasn't resolved until 2004 (2003?). They added what's called a "hook" in the later years to solve the issue.

It could be a problem only associated with a few 209s... I honestly don't know. Only going by what I've heard. I would investigate the issue before purchase. I also believe the problem only exists at high speeds.

Maybe someone else has some more detailed insight on this issue. I can tell you that my 2004 209 does not "porpoise" .

That is a fine looking boat though! The SD would be the preimum version of the 209's. I paid 23,500 for my 2004 209 but it's no SD.

CruisinGA
08-02-2012, 07:49 PM
Our 2001 X9 will porpoise only at high speeds with weight in the back and no one in the front.

Pretty much the only time it affects us is when I barefoot, no one can sit in the back seat. Not really a big deal.

peason
08-02-2012, 10:17 PM
Just got done with a nice long footin run behind my 209! I love this boat, it serves our family of 6 great. My youngest was surfing earlier in the evening. This boat does a lot of water sports very well.

AZX9
08-03-2012, 01:33 AM
My x9 has a nice cruise speed with out high rpm's. I am on rough water and it handles the waves well. My 2003 has never porpoised. Being a direct drive it's so easy to do maintenance and repairs. It's even easy to get to the drain plug in when you forget to put it back in and the hull is filling with water.

AZX9
08-03-2012, 01:54 AM
Oh yeah, on that trailer make sure and check the brake system. The v bunk in the front notoriously catches the eyelet on the bow when unloading. To counter this you have to back the boat in deeper and the master cylinder gets water in it. Mine was full of rusty fluid and the calipers were locked down tight after I towed it the first time. The manufacturer that was used (Reliable) no longer makes actuators or even the master cylinder so it has to be replaced with another brand and involves cutting off the existing and welding on the new actuator. If the master is rusty the calipers are going to be almost always shot or close to. You could easily run into hundreds fixing these issues if they exist.

02ProstarSammyD
08-05-2012, 07:31 AM
Our 2001 X9 will porpoise only at high speeds with weight in the back and no one in the front.
my 02 does it above 32ish when theres weight in the back and none up front. Not a big deal since thats just on cruises back from/to riding riding spots and you can just have someone sit up front.