PDA

View Full Version : a lot of cranks to fire up.

djkslc
07-20-2012, 02:03 PM
I have an 02 Xstar that had the engine go out on me at the end of last year. Replaced engine, but did not replace the starter. towards the end of the old engines life and moving on to this new engine I am finding that the boat doesn't just fire right up when the key is turned, it takes 5 seconds or so of key turning to fire up. Is this a sign of a failing starter, or maybe something else? Still starts everytime and runs like a champ, but it is not like it used to be when it would fire right up.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-20-2012, 07:26 PM
Is is cranking for 5 seconds before it starts or when you turn ignition nothing happens, this matters if its cranking but no start that could be a fuel pump issue but if it doesn't do anything when key is turned thats something else. If the latter then, First you need to see if your getting 12v or battery voltage to the starter motor when you go to crank it. if your getting battery voltage then yes the starter is failing, if your NOT getting voltage when cranking then you probably have a solenoid or ignition switch problem and a check of the wiring will be needed. You said engine was removed I would start by going over all the connections on the engine and transmission might just be something loose.

djkslc
07-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Cranks for 5 seconds then fires up, so it looks like more of a fuel pump issue?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
07-20-2012, 08:01 PM
Probably, just remember fuel pump will prime for 2 seconds. Next time your out try just turning key to run not crank let the fuel pump prime for 2 seconds and then try starting. Does it happen all day long or just on the first start of the day?

JimN
07-20-2012, 09:30 PM
I have an 02 Xstar that had the engine go out on me at the end of last year. Replaced engine, but did not replace the starter. towards the end of the old engines life and moving on to this new engine I am finding that the boat doesn't just fire right up when the key is turned, it takes 5 seconds or so of key turning to fire up. Is this a sign of a failing starter, or maybe something else? Still starts everytime and runs like a champ, but it is not like it used to be when it would fire right up.

Does it sound like the starter is cranking at normal speed? If so, it's not a failing starter. If it is slower, it could be a failing solenoid or a bad ground, dirty connections on the solenoid, dirty battery cable ends or terminals, etc. Put a voltmeter on it- if the voltage drops below 9.5VDC, it's not a good sign. That's also where the ECM does a hard reset, so I wouldn't recommend letting that go on for too long.

djkslc
07-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Because it is easy to do I decided to replace both the starter and the fuel pump. Took me about an hour and a half and the boat fires right up as soon as the key is turned. Some good preventative maintenance I figure.