PDA

View Full Version : Another mass shooting

scott023
07-20-2012, 11:39 AM
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57476379/mass-shooting-at-batman-screening-in-aurora-colo.-at-least-12-dead-dozens-more-wounded/?tag=cbsContent;cbsCarousel

These incidents are beyond words... thoughts to the families affected by these deaths.

mzimme
07-20-2012, 11:53 AM
This kid needs to be tied to a table, and get paper cutted to death. At least he didn't off himself... he'll most certainly be put to death.

What the hell is wrong with people?

trickskier
07-20-2012, 12:30 PM
This kid needs to be tied to a table, and get paper cutted to death. At least he didn't off himself... he'll most certainly be put to death.

I agree - The Judge should order A SLOW PAINFUL DEATH!!!

I just heard the youngest killed was a 4 month old infant.

Damn - Can't even go to the movies and be safe anymore!!! :mad:

DJ 50
07-20-2012, 12:50 PM
I can't believe in a theater full of people, nobody else had a gun and could have taken, or at least tried to take, that guy out. The idea of everyone and their brothers carrying guns does scare me. However this is a perfect example of while conceal and carry can be a good thing. Also why I laugh at people when they think I'm crazy to carry a gun everywhere.

JimN
07-20-2012, 01:01 PM
I agree - The Judge should order A SLOW PAINFUL DEATH!!!

Can't- the ACLU would be all over them for "Cruel & Unusual Punishment". OTOH, it wouldn't be worse than losing a 4 month old and having to live with it.

JimN
07-20-2012, 01:07 PM

I want to see a list of the people who should have seen this coming, but will say they didn't.
"Oh, he was such a nice, quiet boy" isn't gonna cut it.

The guy graduated with a degree in nueroscience in 2010? He either snapped, had joined a militia or was just couldn't handle the fact that he was dropping out of Med school. Time to find out what makes this guy tick.

DJ 50
07-20-2012, 01:12 PM
I want to see a list of the people who should have seen this coming, but will say they didn't.
"Oh, he was such a nice, quiet boy" isn't gonna cut it.

The guy graduated with a degree in nueroscience in 2010? He either snapped, had joined a militia or was just couldn't handle the fact that he was dropping out of Med school. Time to find out what makes this guy tick.

Actually, I think the mom had already come out and said something like ya they have the right guy. Or it doesn't suprise me....Not sure which is worse, the parent who says he was such a sweet boy. I can't believe he would do this. Or the mom who says, ya is was an a$$bag and I figured he would do this.

captain planet
07-20-2012, 02:57 PM
I can't believe in a theater full of people, nobody else had a gun and could have taken, or at least tried to take, that guy out. The idea of everyone and their brothers carrying guns does scare me. However this is a perfect example of while conceal and carry can be a good thing. Also why I laugh at people when they think I'm crazy to carry a gun everywhere.

I agree. The guy would have thought twice about doing this if it were more common for people to carry guns. The fact that the guy didn't kill himself after it was over confirms this notion.

This incident is truly sad. I'm sure the media won't waste the chance to beat down gun ownership once again.

mzimme
07-20-2012, 03:01 PM
I'm not sure if you can get a CCW in Colorado...

edit - Nevermind... looks like you can.

http://www.usacarry.com/colorado_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

JimN
07-20-2012, 03:24 PM
Actually, I think the mom had already come out and said something like ya they have the right guy. Or it doesn't suprise me....Not sure which is worse, the parent who says he was such a sweet boy. I can't believe he would do this. Or the mom who says, ya is was an a$$bag and I figured he would do this.

Whatever happened to involuntary commitment when someone is likely to be a danger to their self or others? Looks like she did her job as a parent and for that, I say "Well done!".

JBrew
07-20-2012, 03:36 PM

I read that the theater did not permit you to carry... that could be why no one had a gun on them.

Nonetheless, this is a tragedy and my thoughts and prayers go to those involved.

milkmania
07-20-2012, 03:38 PM
I read that the theater did not permit you to carry... that could be why no one had a gun on them.

Nonetheless, this is a tragedy and my thoughts and prayers go to those involved.

walmart also posts "no weapons"......

are THEY going to protect me or my family?
I don't think sohttp://deephousepage.com/smilies/tantrum.gif

mzimme
07-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Even if I was in that theatre, and had my weapon on me... I think I'd probably be in such a state of shock that my first reaction would be to get the F out of there. I really have no idea how I'd react in a situation like this. I suppose I'd probably hit the deck and try to crawl out of there too if he were firing random shots.

Also, it's been reported that this guy was wearing a bullet proof vest... so it's anybody's guess as to how effective return fire would have been against this guy.

Kyle's_prostar205
07-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Truly a sad day here in Colorado. A senseless act that was committed by one person that will effect so many for a lifetime. A huge amount of gratitude goes out to the several hunded police officers, fire fighters and EMS workes from around the metro Denver area that treated so many.

rkhodges21
07-20-2012, 03:50 PM
First of all, I want to say that I am truly saddened by this act of pure evil, and I pray God's comforting hand on all those who were injured or have lost loved ones.

Now, I don't understand why the government thinks that gun control will make us any safer. How long does it normally take a cop to show up in an emergency situation? Minutes (at best) when seconds make a difference? Plus, criminals are going to get guns if they really want them. I mean the US government will put them out on the black market without any means of tracking them and will block local authorities from catching the smugglers that they sold them to (Fast and Furious), so taking away our 2nd amendment or even just our ability to carry arms in public will only make our society more susceptible to violent crime. I don't know if this is correct, but it sounds good so I will say it anyways and someone can correct me if I am wrong, but there are more poeple that die by doctors hands due to malpractice than are killed by legal gun carriers, so statistically, you are safer riding the subway beside a licenced gun carrier than you are going to the doctor.

Someone on the news a couple of years ago once said that people who carry weapons are more likely to be killed than those that don't. I would really like to know if that is true, and if so, I would like to know how that information was obtained, because if they include criminals and gun carrying gang members who are killed in street violence, then I am sure that is true. But I would be willing to bet that that is definitely false if you only take into account licensed gun carriers, as they have been through the training and are more likely to be prepared in the event that they need to act with deadly force.

I do, however, wonder how much good it would have done in this instance for a citizen in that theater to have been packing, seeing as this guy was wearing a helmet and kevlar. I would say that the average gun owner's attempts to intervene would probably have been futile against this maniac. However, if I had been there, I probably would have tried anyways. Maybe if a law abiding citizen there would have had a weapon, they could have made enough of a problem for the killer to have saved a few lives.

pram
07-20-2012, 03:52 PM
what a senseless tragedy, my condolences to all those involved

pram
07-20-2012, 03:58 PM
And out of curiosity, just exactly would someone with a CCW have done in a dark, smoke filled room against a crazy with an automatic weapon and body armor?

Chances are there would be more than 12 people dead and more than one person being charged. Joe citizen shooting off his handgun trying to kill someone that he can't see is surely going to do more damage than good in this case

AND I have said it before and I will say it again

I AM NOT ANTI-GUN

I own an entire safe full

But carrying into a dark theater and proclaiming that it would help is not in my rational train of thought

Once a person gets to that stage in their life, cognitive, reasonable thinking is out the door

If he lived in Texas and wanted to go on a killing spree, I would hazard to guess the outcome would have been the same regardless if everyone is packing a firearm

rkhodges21
07-20-2012, 04:13 PM
And out of curiosity, just exactly would someone with a CCW have done in a dark, smoke filled room against a crazy with an automatic weapon and body armor?

Chances are there would be more than 12 people dead and more than one person being charged. Joe citizen shooting off his handgun trying to kill someone that he can't see is surely going to do more damage than good in this case

I AM NOT ANTI-GUN

But carrying into a dark theater and proclaiming that it would help is not in my rational train of thought

Once a person gets to that stage in their life, cognitive, reasonable thinking is out the door

If he lived in Texas and wanted to go on a killing spree, I would hazard to guess the outcome would have been the same regardless if everyone is packing a firearm

While I agree with you for the most part, it depends on who the person carrying is. My stepdad is a retired green beret, and there is not a doubt in my mind that had he, one of his commrades, or a retired seal or Air Force PJ been in that theater, the story would have unfolded quite differently.

pram
07-20-2012, 04:34 PM
While I agree with you for the most part, it depends on who the person carrying is. My stepdad is a retired green beret, and there is not a doubt in my mind that had he, one of his commrades, or a retired seal or Air Force PJ been in that theater, the story would have unfolded quite differently.

Perhaps, but more than likely not

The person you have described above would have had to have been in the correct spot to take action, they are trained not to endanger the lives of the innocent are they not. So I can not see them recklessly shooting into a dark smoke filled room

The only real difference that I could foresee would be that the gun man would be dead now and that would have only happened at the end once he had done the damage that he did

I would be willing to bet that had the average (or even less than average which would more than likely be the case) person started shooting in that theater, there would be a hell of a lot more people dead right now

We are not discussing shooting an intruder in your home, we are discussing a lunatic with an automatic weapon and full body armor in dark, smoke filled, civilian filled theater

rkhodges21
07-20-2012, 04:48 PM
We are discussing a lunatic with an automatic weapon and full body armor in dark, smoke filled, civilian filled theater

Ok. Don't get me wrong, I did not post what I did earlier to start an argument, especially on a thread such as this so my apologies to everyone on here if I have offended anyone.

I will say this one last thing, and that will be it. What you have described above, Pram, is just one of the many scenarios in which our highly trained special forces are taught to excel. Maybe not a theater per se, but dark, close quarters, with hostages and the only light you have is the flash of the enemy's gun and the light of the movie, a guy like my stepdad could neutralize the enemy possibly without firing a shot.

I will give you though, that is a far stretch, I will side with you on this one.

mc190
07-20-2012, 07:05 PM
i agree, in NC where i live even if you have your concealed carry you cant (arent supposed to) carry into places that you pay admission. i think if you have your concealed carry you should be able to carry anywhere!

mzito
07-20-2012, 10:41 PM
if we all carry guns he would only get 1 shot off....

JimN
07-20-2012, 10:45 PM
if we all carry guns he would only get 1 shot off....

I don't know about that. When someone is shot, their muscles sometimes contract for quite a while and with a fully automatic weapon, they might be able to empty the clip. They probably won't know what they're shooting, but.....

CantRepeat
07-20-2012, 11:29 PM
what a senseless tragedy, my condolences to all those involved

Pram, great post and I agree at this point its just time to help the victims. Short of that it's Monday morning QB stuff.

CantRepeat
07-20-2012, 11:31 PM
I don't know about that. When someone is shot, their muscles sometimes contract for quite a while and with a fully automatic weapon, they might be able to empty the clip. They probably won't know what they're shooting, but.....

lol, when someone is shot they just collapse and die. All that crap that you see in the movies is just that, bull****. I've never seen anyone that has been shot contract and fire off a full clip. And yes I'm an expert in this field. They just die.

CantRepeat
07-20-2012, 11:36 PM

I AM NOT ANTI-GUN

I would have put two to the chest and then one to the head. Its what my training tells me and that is that if two to the chest doesn't take him down then he has protection on and then go the head all while closing the distance with the target.

The fact is now, there are sooo many trained ex military with permits that given half the chance we all would welcome the opportunity to take action in a situation like this.

NO, not welcome a situation like this.. just welcome the opportunity to end this guys life.

DJ 50
07-21-2012, 01:33 AM
lol, when someone is shot they just collapse and die. All that crap that you see in the movies is just that, bull****. I've never seen anyone that has been shot contract and fire off a full clip. And yes I'm an expert in this field. They just die.

I'm having a hard time figuring out if this was a joke or not. If it's a joke then I'm sorry. However people who get shot don't just die. I have seen first hand, have been on many shooting scenes and seen it, and can show you hundreds upon hundreds of videos of police shoot outs where the bad guy keeps going LONG LONG after he has been shot.

If memory serves me correct you are a former military man and I'm assuming that is what you are getting your "expert in the field" remark. Big military guns do a lot more damage to a body then your average handgun. Takes a lot longer for a person to bleed out.

DJ 50
07-21-2012, 01:48 AM
I will agree with several posts on here that if anyone, average joe or trained person, just started shooting wildly into the air things could have been worse. I would hope, again this is where I am torn by CCW because not everyone thinks like this, that a person wouldn't shoot in a crowd without knowing what they where shooting at. Bad guy was supposedly standing in front of the screen giving a perfect back light.

I do carry everywhere and I will be the first to say that even if you have a gun and are justified to use it, sometimes it's the better choice to walk away. However, this guy didn't give 60+ people (numbered injuried and dead at last check) the choice to walk away. 1 guy might not have been able to stop this threat, i fully agree. However if I was there in that theater with my wife and/or for some unknown reason my 14mo kid, you better beleive that I would sacrifice myself if need be to protect them. Now would 1 guy have stopped the threat? probably not. Could that one guy at least slowed the threat down so that more could have reached saftey, if they were smart about it I would like to think so. Even if they did nothing but put a few rounds down range at the bad guy and draw fire so other could get out. I don't want to die by any means. However I sure as hell wouldn't want to live and someone I care about die and leave me to sit and think, what if I only had brought my gun today? No thank you sir, I'm going to go down swinging.

Oh and as far as the theater not allowing guns. Nobody every knows I have my gun on me unless they know me. So if the theater wants to kick me out and ban me after the fact for using a gun to stop that threat, I can live with that.

I am very sorry to get on my soap box about this it just annoys me to read some of the stuff said. This was a very horrible event. My thoughts and prays are with the families.

CantRepeat
07-21-2012, 06:42 AM
I'm having a hard time figuring out if this was a joke or not. If it's a joke then I'm sorry. However people who get shot don't just die. I have seen first hand, have been on many shooting scenes and seen it, and can show you hundreds upon hundreds of videos of police shoot outs where the bad guy keeps going LONG LONG after he has been shot.

If memory serves me correct you are a former military man and I'm assuming that is what you are getting your "expert in the field" remark. Big military guns do a lot more damage to a body then your average handgun. Takes a lot longer for a person to bleed out.

Handgun or rifle, there aren't many people that keep moving once shot in the head.

captain planet
07-21-2012, 11:27 AM
Handgun or rifle, there aren't many people that keep moving once shot in the head.

According to the paper today, the guy had on a full vest protection including leg and groin protection along with a helmet. A head/face shot was really the only thing that would have taken him down.

2RLAKE
07-21-2012, 12:09 PM

great point ... which is why i carry a Kimber Tactical Ultra II 45

east tx skier
07-21-2012, 12:32 PM

I AM NOT ANTI-GUN

My anecdotal evidence would seem to indicate the same. We had some nut go on a shooting spree in our town square outside the courthouse. A local gun shop owner with a permit decided to fight fire with fire. He's dead now. The nut gunned him down. Police eventually took the nut out when he was trying to get away. I don't fault him for trying. It was a brave thing to do. But he's no less dead now.

Like many Texans, I am a gun owner. You name it, I probably have it---handguns, shotguns, rifles, muzzle loaders, automatics that begin with a capital M. But I have no desire to carry a concealed weapon.

Of course, plenty have different preferences to mine. So, YMMV.

Horrible situation in Colorado apart from the concealed carry discussion.

mzito
07-21-2012, 12:56 PM

JimN.

For the majority of people that are shot would not get anymore rounds off. My point is if there were more LAW ABIDING CITIZENS that carried the mass shooting would not be as significant as this one. Not to say it eliminates death but if someone opened fire and the majority of people had a weapon the bad guy would not make it to long. GUARANTEED!!

captain planet
07-25-2012, 12:27 PM
An interesting look at this event as a whole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jeW_-Kq7vA&feature=player_embedded

Something tells me there is more to the story than our media are telling us. And, this is playing into the whole gun control bull&%$# that is going on right now with our "leaders".

JimN
07-25-2012, 12:38 PM

Something tells me there is more to the story than our media are telling us. And, this is playing into the whole gun control bull&%$# that is going on right now with our "leaders".

What's your point? There's ALWAYS more or less, to the story, than what is reported.

ahhudgins
07-25-2012, 05:43 PM
What's your point? There's ALWAYS more or less, to the story, than what is reported.

No matter what the final story is, to some there is always a conspiracy in the mix. George Bush will eventually be blamed.

mzimme
07-25-2012, 05:58 PM

Do I need to put my tin hat on before I watch that?