PDA

View Full Version : What kind of wood?

Gabe63
07-20-2012, 10:23 AM
I want to re-carpet my trailer bunks on my 2000 Maristar but figure I may as well buy new wood. What kind of wood did the factory use? Thanks

charrison327
07-20-2012, 10:42 AM
mine (1996) was treated 2x6. I replaced mine and the carpet last year

BrooksfamX2
07-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Morning???

psychobilly
07-20-2012, 12:57 PM
NOT WOOD!!!!! WOOD ROTS!!!!

Go with ultimate bunk boards dot com and you won't be disappointed. Do a search here on TT and you will see that those that have gone with this are happy.

JDC
07-21-2012, 10:54 AM
I want to re-carpet my trailer bunks on my 2000 Maristar but figure I may as well buy new wood. What kind of wood did the factory use? ThanksMy Prostar trailer has pressure treated wood.
I felt the same way as you. Why bother ripping the old carpet off that wood when the wood is so cheap. Mine uses 4 - 2x4s which were less than 2.50 each at Lowes.
NOT WOOD!!!!! WOOD ROTS!!!!

Go with ultimate bunk boards dot com and you won't be disappointed. Do a search here on TT and you will see that those that have gone with this are happy.I'm sure the carpet would wear out looong before the pressure treated wood would rot. The Ultimate bunks are nice (and slippery) but I went with original set up and less cost. The original carpet lasted 8 years.

Miss Rita
07-23-2012, 04:14 PM
I bought my '89 TriStar with OEM trailer 3 years ago. Two years ago I replaced the bunks, because I was sure they weren't in the best of shape at 22 years old. Everything else on the trailer needed updating: lights, wiring, safety chains, etc.

The bunks were pressure-treated 2x6's, placed on edge. It turns out they were in great shape, all things considered. I replaced them anyway, got new carpet. My new pressure-treated bunks will probably last another 20 years.