PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing - "pickling" vs conventional block drainage..

bigmac
08-27-2005, 02:38 PM
Speaking with my dealer today about winterizing. He tells me that for the last couple of years, their winterization process has been "pickling", where they don't drain anything, only run some environmentally-safe anti-freeze through the engine, good to -100F. De-winterization then is just hooking up the battery and take it to the lake. Hmm..I don't know about that. OTOH, they do well over 1000 boats per year here in Minnesota with no problem.

Opinions? The simplicity is attractive, but not at the cost of a cracked block. Any of you guys ever winterize your boat that way? I've not heard of this being done on a dealer-policy level.

Ric
08-27-2005, 02:44 PM
What is this "winterizing" that so many speak of?

:steering:

Speaking with my dealer today about winterizing. He tells me that for the last couple of years, their winterization process has been "pickling", where they don't drain anything, only run some environmentally-safe anti-freeze through the engine, good to -100F. De-winterization then is just hooking up the battery and take it to the lake. Hmm..I don't know about that. OTOH, they do well over 1000 boats per year here in Minnesota with no problem.

Opinions? The simplicity is attractive, but not at the cost of a cracked block. Any of you guys ever winterize your boat that way? I've not heard of this being done on a dealer-policy level.

MarkP
08-27-2005, 02:48 PM
Bigmac

I do it the old fashion way.

Thanks Ric

Ric
08-27-2005, 02:57 PM
:purplaugh

Leroy
08-27-2005, 03:28 PM
I did both last year, ran 6 gallons of RV antifreeze through and then still drained everything. Seems most of the shops here use the RV antifreeze.

I also used about 40 gallons for my pool last fall, so can attest it is safe and you don't end up with a pink pool!

PS, these winterization threads are having an impact to my mental health....

RIC: :mad: May the golden bird of winterization fly over your boat! :D

ski_king
08-27-2005, 04:10 PM
Lets kill this thread until at least mid October. :mad:

Too many good sking days left to worry about winterizing yet.

bigmac
08-27-2005, 04:10 PM
PS, these winterization threads are having an impact to my mental health....

Yeah...sorry about that. This is Minnesota, dontcha know, and the leaves are already starting to turn. The whole "end of summer" thing entails a routine that has to be orchestrated like a ballet, especially if you live on a lake - boat out, winterized, put it in the pole barn, but only after the lawn furniture is in there, but the lawn furniture can only go in there after the snowmobiles are out, so they go in the other garage, but the motorcycles have to be winterized first. Add a second boat and the water toys that have to go in the pole barn - well, it all takes a lot of planning. I know from experience that taking a boat lift and dock out in a snowstorm (Halloween night 1991) (http://climate.umn.edu/doc/journal/top5/numberthree.htm) ain't no fun...

MarkP
08-27-2005, 04:31 PM
Lets kill this thread until at least mid October. :mad:

Too many good sking days left to worry about winterizing yet.
Denny,

Ya getting out??

Looks like Fall is screaming our way!

erkoehler
08-27-2005, 04:55 PM
We are usually done on labor day at our cabin in Northern WI. After that, the weather is too hit or miss and it is getting cold and nasty.

bigmac
08-27-2005, 05:15 PM
I did both last year, ran 6 gallons of RV antifreeze through and then still drained everything. Seems most of the shops here use the RV antifreeze.

How did you suck the antifreeze into the engine? Would it work to use a "fake-a-lake" and drop the end of the hose from it into a bucket of the stuff?

Ric
08-27-2005, 05:22 PM
There's a couple of ideas on this thread (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=803&highlight=flushpro)

JohnnyB
08-27-2005, 06:06 PM
I have a 5gal bucket that I put a bulkhead fitting on the bottom of. The fitting goes to a hose which I connect to the raw water inlet of the transmission heat exchanger (i.e. take the raw water hose coming from the hull off at this point and put on the hose from the bucket).

The process: Use my fake-a-lake to run the engine to temp. Stop the engine. Connect the 5 gal bucket of antifreeze. Re-start the engine and run 'til the antifreeze is gone. Shut the engine off and drain.

The last step probably wouldn't need to be done as I have pink coming out of every plug but I'd much rather drain it to be safe.

As for Wisconsin and Minnesota end of season???? I typically ski until early November (dry suit weather) and then start again in late April. December - April suck!!!

I'm counting on late season skiing as I'm on the bench for 3-4weeks with tendonitis in my hip....no slalom, no footin', no runnin', no nothin'...uugh!!!

ski_king
08-27-2005, 08:43 PM
Denny,

Ya getting out??

Looks like Fall is screaming our way!

I have gotten out once each weekend since Memorial Day. Not looking good for this weekend though. Then the newest srorm is coming up this way and I remember how they ended my season early last year....... hope we only get a little rain this time.

MarkP
08-27-2005, 09:06 PM
I have gotten out once each weekend since Memorial Day. Not looking good for this weekend though. Then the newest srorm is coming up this way and I remember how they ended my season early last year....... hope we only get a little rain this time.
Maybe if the storms screw us up this year you can tag along on a Tygert trip or two. Thatís what we did when all around us was flooded. Had to hit the road about 5 from my house. That was late season last year just before I had to winterize.