PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboarding w/o tower.

ctjahn
07-19-2012, 09:36 AM
I am afraid to ask... but... I dont want to install a tower or a bigger pole on my 78 S&S. Can I wakeboard (never done it before but want to try) behind it as is with moderate success? or EPIC FAIL?

Not going to get crazy, just want to try it. (I snowboard, waterski, slalom, kneeboard, snow ski, etc, etc, etc... so I am hoping to pick it up quick and see if I enjoy it or not)

Cj

thatsmrmastercraft
07-19-2012, 09:44 AM
You won't be doing anything wild, but you can wakeboard behind anything. I will say that an extended pylon is a quick installation/removal item that certainly helps but is clearly not mandatory.

ricford
07-19-2012, 09:54 AM
The tower combined with a shortened line makes it easier to learn to get up on it, but once you've mastered that you won't really need the advantage of a tower till you start to get crazy on it, and then you'll want a bigger boat anyway. Please don't put a tower on a 78 S&S.

tideengineer
07-19-2012, 10:03 AM
I am in the market for a pylon because I don't want a tower on my Prostar. I wakeboard from the standard pylon now and can get some decent air and easily jump wake to wake. I guess I need to quit being cheap and buy a pylon....and some ballast...then more stuff....$$$$$ wahhhhhh

itch2ski
07-19-2012, 11:07 AM
I would say 90% of people that have towers don't need them (aside from board storage and speaker hanging...). Unless you plan on learning spins, inverts, and double ups in the coming weeks I wouldn't worry about it. If you get that serious about boarding you would need a new boat more than a tower.

The one advantage to a pylon is it will get the rope up and out of the way so the back bench is more usable.

Thrall
07-19-2012, 11:29 AM
My 190 came with an extended pylon, but when we test drove before buying, the owner's son wanted to take a "last ride" behind the boat.
3 people in a Prostar 190, 1/2 tank of gas, rope tied to the transom eye, this kid was doing inverts and sticking them!
So, no, you don't NEED a tower.
That said, I stuck a tower on it a few years later.:D

ctjahn
07-19-2012, 11:46 AM
Thanks everyone.

I assumed it was unnecssary for a novice (and with a ton of hardware in the ankle I dont PLAN on doing anything crazy for tricks....) BUT I wanted to ensure it was possible to get up and just give it a go without it. (tower or tall pole)

Thanks!
cj

Cary K.
07-19-2012, 11:47 AM
Everyone seems to be right on. A tower or pole isn't necessary at all for wakeboarding. They will however free up the back of the boat for passengers.

All of these things, along with ballast sacs, were invented after the advent of wakeboarding. Still some great videos out there of some old school stuff on direct drives, no weight, no pole, and stretchy ropes. I was able to do HS 360's and Tantrums (back flips) behind a jetski before I bought my first MC in mid 90's.

kskonn
07-19-2012, 11:57 AM
since I saw you snow boarded before I will try and save you a face plant or two, remember weight on the back foot not on the front.

I snow boarded a lot before I boarded and I kept shifting my weight to the front just out of habit.

rkhodges21
07-19-2012, 12:08 PM
since I saw you snow boarded before I will try and save you a face plant or two, remember weight on the back foot not on the front.

I snow boarded a lot before I boarded and I kept shifting my weight to the front just out of habit.

Yeah faceplants at 20 mph SUCK!:mad:

When I was looking at a DD, I was going to go ahead and at least get a tall pylon for the sake of being able tow someone and people still be able to sit in the back seat. I am not good at skiing (can never seem to make it up to a stand) so I was kind of thinking that being towed from the tower/tall pylon would help me get up. I figure that if I have a dd I will always tow people from the tower.

sconnie33
07-19-2012, 12:10 PM
any tips for a novice rider getting pulled behind a smaller ski boat (no tower, no pole)? Also, how much difference does a good rope make ($15 vs. $60)??

sconnie33
07-19-2012, 12:11 PM
any tips for a novice rider getting pulled behind a smaller ski boat (no tower, no pole)? Also, how much difference does a good rope make ($15 vs. $60)??

...any by rider I mean wakeboard...

Thrall
07-19-2012, 12:39 PM

I'm still pretty novice in the grand scheme of things, but IMO, as long as the board is reasonably big enough for you and the boat has enough pull to pull someone up on 2 skis, then you can wakeboard behind it.
Started wakeboarding behind a SeaDoo speedster with a "$15" rope.
More expensive ropes are no stretch, which only comes into play once you start getting some real air. No stretch ropes will not "slingshot" you towards the boat when you leave the water.
Wakeboards are one of the easiest things to get up on.

cbryan70
07-19-2012, 12:44 PM
You won't be doing anything wild, but you can wakeboard behind anything. I will say that an extended pylon is a quick installation/removal item that certainly helps but is clearly not mandatory.

I have had some guys throw some pretty crazy stuff behind my boat....720's, backflips, front flips you name it. its all about form apparently. Me on the other hand....it must be my boats wake I can throw anything :D:rolleyes:

sconnie33
07-19-2012, 12:47 PM
I'm still pretty novice in the grand scheme of things, but IMO, as long as the board is reasonably big enough for you and the boat has enough pull to pull someone up on 2 skis, then you can wakeboard behind it.
Started wakeboarding behind a SeaDoo speedster with a "$15" rope.
More expensive ropes are no stretch, which only comes into play once you start getting some real air. No stretch ropes will not "slingshot" you towards the boat when you leave the water.
Wakeboards are one of the easiest things to get up on.

Thats helpful info. Thanks. I think a couple problems I'm running into is this ski boat doesn't create much wake. I'm just starting to jump and now that you mentioned the "slingshot" effect I realize that has probably the cause for some faceplants.

Thrall
07-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Thats helpful info. Thanks. I think a couple problems I'm running into is this ski boat doesn't create much wake. I'm just starting to jump and now that you mentioned the "slingshot" effect I realize that has probably the cause for some faceplants.

Yup!
I learned that no tower/pole + ski rope +big air = big injury!

itch2ski
07-19-2012, 01:15 PM

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. This is probably the most common mistake beginner boarders make. Your weight should be distributed evenly over both feet, the best way I can describe it is put your board on while standing on the platform and get into a basketball defensive stance (weight evenly on both feet, slightly crouched) this should be your basic riding position. You would be surprised how much weight you can put on the front of the board without face planting ;).

BrooksfamX2
07-19-2012, 01:43 PM
Toe side weight/edge catching is what gives you the face plant.........

tideengineer
07-19-2012, 02:25 PM
i want a pylon for seating reasons mostly....want to be able to have three sitting in the back.

rkhodges21
07-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Toe side weight/edge catching is what gives you the face plant.........

Yep. That's what always gets me.

soacj
07-19-2012, 03:55 PM
I was reading this chuckling thinking of us riding Skurfer's circa 1989 behind my parent's SN 2001, roughly 10 years prior to the conception of the wakeboard specific tower...

Off topic, but does anyone else remember the super buoyant Skurfer's being hard as hell to learn how to get up on?? Oh, and where the hell is Tony Finn nowadays?

Jay

BrooksfamX2
07-19-2012, 05:33 PM
I also rode a skurfer in the late 80's but dont remember it being hard to get up on though........

http://salem.craigslist.org/spo/3141542023.html

Stx221
07-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Having never seen a Skurfer before, that looks like a ton of fun. Does anyone have more details about where to buy one, how fast to go, how long of a rope you run?
Looks like a killer blend of wakesurfing and wakeboarding!

tideengineer
07-19-2012, 06:34 PM
I have a pink skurfer with no fin

ctjahn
07-19-2012, 09:03 PM

Good call.
Anyone gotta good thread/link for beginner boards? (Dont want to spend a ton on a new board until I determine its something I like

cj

BrooksfamX2
07-19-2012, 11:57 PM
Having never seen a Skurfer before, that looks like a ton of fun. Does anyone have more details about where to buy one.........

They are not made anymore. Used only, I see them on CL from time to time.

mzimme
07-19-2012, 11:57 PM
Im very much a beginner. Before I bought a board, I had been up on a wakeboard no more than 5 times in my life. I bought the Ronix Vault. It was priced well, and with the Ronix Divide bindings, I was all in for under 300 bucks on EVO.com. Since riding this board, I can say for sure that it's not a hard board to ride. I'm bigger at 220lbs, and 6' tall, and only am riding a 139 board. I don't feel that I'm draggin at all in the water... and I usually ride about 20-22mph behind my S&S. I'm still new, so I can't attest for much about the pop and all the other advanced categories of a rating system, but the board is VERY easy to edge with, and I feel incredibly comfortable on it. I'd highly recommend it to anyone in a similar situation. I have nothing bad to say about it. On top of the great performance, it's a Ronix. You can't go wrong there. The thing looks cool too...

This is my board/bindings:

http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/350/224164461.jpg

Lumbergh
07-20-2012, 12:04 AM
Just started riding the wakeboard from the 190.

I don't snowboard, we are a skiing family, but I got up after a few attempts.

No tower, just the pylon in the 190. Watched a few youtube vids to get the idea of what I was supposed to be doing.

So I would say, being north of 40 and getting it after a few tries, the pylon is sufficient. You won't see me doing anything aerial, my health to too important.

I would agree that a tower would be sweet to get crap up outta the boat, for the advanced crowd to do tricks...

soacj
07-20-2012, 11:11 AM
Having never seen a Skurfer before, that looks like a ton of fun. Does anyone have more details about where to buy one, how fast to go, how long of a rope you run?
Looks like a killer blend of wakesurfing and wakeboarding!

No, this is definitely a case of older not being better. Any current wakeboard design is much more entertaining than the Skurfer ever was imho...

ctjahn
08-25-2012, 09:58 PM
Ok, so I bought the used O'Brien Shifty.... 134

Boots are slip on and a real bugger to get on .... but I did get up on the second try. So that was nice. And didnt faceplant... which is good. Overall weak performance by the nut behind the rope but.... not bad for the first try. (Kinda like a toddler walking for the first time)

Still not sure I like it or not but I need to get a little better (give it a little more time) before I make the decision (maybe get smarter by watching videos and instructing my driver better) to skip it or get a better board. (Which I should also try - more boards)

Cj