PDA

View Full Version : How do you start your 85 S&S?

xtnkshun
07-19-2012, 09:25 AM
I recently pick up an 85 S&S and the PO said that he normally give a couple of quick pumps of the throttle stick forward, then back to neutral and cranks right up. I watched him do it and it works for me as well.

While reading through an 81 owners guide online, it said that the boat had an AUTOMATIC CHOKE, that could be engaged by moving throttle to WOT and then pulling the neutrual safety button on the throttle. Then put the key in and start.

Anyone know if the 85's had the same thing? 83-86 are about the only manuals I can't find online.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-19-2012, 09:29 AM
I recently pick up an 85 S&S and the PO said that he normally give a couple of quick pumps of the throttle stick forward, then back to neutral and cranks right up. I watched him do it and it works for me as well.

While reading through an 81 owners guide online, it said that the boat had an AUTOMATIC CHOKE, that could be engaged by moving throttle to WOT and then pulling the neutrual safety button on the throttle. Then put the key in and start.

Anyone know if the 85's had the same thing? 83-86 are about the only manuals I can't find online.

Your '85 does indeed have an automatic choke. You don't have to go all the way to WOT to set the choke, but reasonable throttle operation is required.

Look for yourself at some point. Remove the spark arrestor and you will see the choke blade completely open. Work the throttle sufficiently and you will see the choke blade close most of the way. There is a bi-metalic spring on the side (that the wires attach to) that will open the choke blade fully in about a minute.

barefoot
07-19-2012, 09:55 AM
Starting cold, I give mine three pumps.

Hot, I don't give it any, but as the engine catches, I give it a little.

Willski
07-19-2012, 10:22 AM
When I had my 84, I always had to give it some pumps before starting cold. Seems like I always had to start with the throttle half open as well. Then it was fairly cold blooded too. When it was warmed up, no pumping, but still never wanted to start without giving it some air.

xtnkshun
07-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

JMann
07-19-2012, 04:03 PM
I am the same with my carb'd 91. I have to pump it 2 or 3 times in the morning to get it start but it starts the rest of the day it starts with just a turn of the key.

madcityskier
07-19-2012, 06:49 PM
As the dealer showed us when we bought it in 85, pull the neutral pin, wot in reverse, let up to aporox 1/4 throttle, turn key and let it rumble. After that just turn the key for the rest of the day. Same now as it was then.

03geetee
07-21-2012, 12:31 AM
As the dealer showed us when we bought it in 85, pull the neutral pin, wot in reverse, let up to aporox 1/4 throttle, turn key and let it rumble. After that just turn the key for the rest of the day. Same now as it was then.

This^

However in the morning after sitting all night she needs 2.5 pumps then to 1/4 throttle to start, being that it has 2700+hrs I think thats ok.

JTR

xtnkshun
07-21-2012, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the input fellas. It appears that forward or reverse engages the choke. I was actually watching a youtube video the other night of an 85 and the guy gave it a couple of pumps in reverse also.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-22-2012, 11:25 PM
Yup, either forward or reverse works the carb the same.